Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Joining in and marking my spot! ;)

t

Hiya and glad to have you here. :)

Whatever I've seen or read about Biobay had beautiful pictures. Although I've been to San Juan several times, it's never been convenient to go. I was wavering on maybe staying a couple of days just to see it. Now I'm not so sure it's even on my bucket list anymore. I hate to be disappointed and I know I will if we go.

Let's face it...if you didn't get good photos of it then there is no such thing.

Yea, I always wonder about the pictures. I know for sure it's impossible to actually take a picture of someone and the lights at the same time. You must take 2 pictures and combine them. If you are taking a long exposure and you have people in it, they would have to remain absolutely still during the whole exposure. That would defeat the purpose of the biobay because they only way they light up is if you are disturbing them...so you have a fling your hands/arms or whatever back and forth briskly in order to get them to light up.

I did read and article on it once by someone and they stated that you are even unable to actually take a video of it but there was a new camera coming out that might be able to capture it. Most of the pictures you see online have been extremely enhanced to bring out the color to make it appealing. I knew this prior to going there and was trying not to set my expectations high. I had just hoped for a little more in person than what we had seen. It did just remind me of pixie dust particles in the water.

THIS (<--click here) is an interesting read on biobay and pictures.

HERE is another article on capturing the bay in photography. But, even with the pictures they captured, it was nothing like I seen that night.

The Biobay is something that's on my 'bucket list'. I'm sorry it wasn't like you had hoped it would be. I wonder if all 3 places in PR are the same? Or if one is 'more luminescent' than others?

When I research it online, it states that the brightest in PR is the one over on the island of Vieques and it's called Mosquito Bay. But you would definitely have to contact a vendor to take you there since it's off o PR and the ferry that runs over there stops at a certain time and you won't be able to make it back.

I do know that several years ago, the biobay I went to had some issues and the organisms started disappearing (remember it has to have perfect conditions for them to be there). They discovered it was because they use to allow people in the water to swim with them (which is why you see pictures around the web with people in the water). It was killing them off. So, they stopped allowing this to happened and several years later, they returned. I had "heard" that they didn't return "completely" or "full force" yet. But, when I questioned our tour guide about this and what I had heard, he said they were back the way they use to be.

I also ask our tour guide about Mosquito Bay and the rumor that it was brighter over there. He told me they are all the same and it isn't any brighter over there than where we were. (Of course, this could just be him saying that because THEY want the business...which makes sense). I find it hard to believe that so many people have reported that Mosquito Bay is much brighter.

I think if you spent a few extra days in PR and could actually maybe just take the ferry over to the island of Vieques and maybe just stay the night at a hotel, you'd have a pretty good shot at seeing it. I may consider that in the future because I really think there has to be more to this than what I seen that night.

Also, please remember that weather conditions do play a part in the brightness of them (the tour guide said) and it had rained the night before he said. Also the moon presents a problem and it's best to go when there's barely a moon. But I still don't see how there could ever be the complete darkness needed for it to glow the way you see in pictures, due to all the lights around the area.

Going to enjoy remembering my trip through your pictures.

I hope it lives up to it. :)

Thanks so much for another great review. This itinerary is definitely a bucket list cruise. Excited to see your pictures as you go through this cruise. Are you in school for your BSN? Good luck with school.

Thanks for your comments. If you get a chance, definitely go on this itinerary!

Yes, I'm in school for my BSN. I should graduate next summer if I continue to only take a certain amount of classes (with some of the semester off for cruising :D). I'm in no hurry.

Seems the Bioluminescent was a bust. I would have been a bit mad.

Yea, pretty much a bust. I wasn't mad, but I guess I could say I was very disappointed. When we were done and walking back to our car, the hubby must have known the disappointment by the expression on my face. I kept telling him "I'm just a little confused about what I just saw" "I really don't know how I felt about that" :(

I'm so happy to see this review! I'm doing the same ship/itinerary in July, 2017 and taking my whole family. Only my brother and sister-in-law have cruised and I'm worried about what they'll think of the Fascination as they've only ever been on the Celebrity Summit. The rest of the family, sisters & spouses/nieces/nephews/Mum have never cruised before so they'll be thrilled no matter what.

I always check out your reviews for things to do and feel like I'm stalking you around the Caribbean, but in a good way!

Stalk away and I hope you have a wonderful time next year. It's an amazing itinerary. I feel like I've been missing out all these years, but I have been trying to explore a little more over the past 2 years with next places.

So excited to read this review! I did the same itinerary a few years back on the Victory and loved all the ports. I've read about 6 of your previous reviews over the last couple weeks and you make me feel like I was on your vacation too!

Well at least I have managed to keep your attention and not bore you if you have managed to read that many. :p :D Glad to have you here.

We have no cruise vacations booked at this time so I don't spend much time here but I was waiting on your review. Always enjoy reading them and seeing the pictures. I've posted this before and I hope a cruise line picks up on this, cruise line companies should encourage your reviews on their fancy new ships by offering your family a free cruise. Hotels too.

Thank you for doing this!

bruce...

Thanks so much for your kind words. If only.....(the cruise line or hotels would do this). Hey, I'd have a second job. :D

DAY 2: PUERTO RICO-Still at El Conquistador in Fajardo, PR

Since we went to bed SUPER early for us (10:30am), I was bright eyed and bushy haired at 7:30am. I headed out to the balcony to just take it all in. It was super weird knowing that I just spent the night in a hotel, we had already done an excursion, and we were NOT boarding a ship today. I felt like this was a regular land vacation...and actually it was.

As I sat on the balcony, my phone started ringing...IT WAS MY WORK!!! Seriously? Come on. You know I'm on vacation. Why are you bothering me? What do you think I could possibly do from here? *ignore* Then I started hearing this "UGH, UMPF, UGH, UMPF" over and over. It reminded me of someone getting punched in the stomach and it taking their breath away. I got up and looked down...there were two guys playing tennis. One of the guys made this sound with each strike of the tennis ball....FOR.HOURS.ON.END. Seriously. These guys were out there playing before I got up at 7:30am and was still there after the family got up, we went to breakfast and came back to grab our things for the day at the beach around 10:30. Wow, I wish I had his energy, just not his grunts.

The family woke up around 8:40am and "my" time was up. Everyone got dressed and we decided we would just stay at the hotel and find breakfast. There are so many choices at this place. There were a lot of people eating outside, just above the pool area, but it was already hot out and we were just wanting to sit in a restaurant with air.

We headed to Cafe Carib.

P8120186%20copy-L.jpg

The hubby immediately ordered his coffee and then I was allowed to speak to him. His shirt (angry bird) depicts him well until he's had his coffee.

P8120181%20copy-L.jpg

Once again, the size of "drinks" in Puerto Rico continued to amaze me. This coffee cup is not your "normal" coffee cup you find in the states. Sakari ordered a kids cup and even it's bigger than this. But would you look at the size of my pop above? SCORE!!

P8120182%20copy-L.jpg

Taking a look at the menu:

Breakfast-Menu-2014-JPEG-to-send-L.jpg

I went with the egg omelette, but I'm in Puerto Rico, so I thought I just needed to try something that said Puerto Rico in it to make myself feel better. I ordered the Puerto-Rican Home Fries.

The omelette was yummy and hit the spot.

P8120183%20copy-L.jpg

The home fries...oh em gee...yep, they were GOOD! I even made the hubby try them and he liked them.

P8120184%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari had her pancakes and cleaned the plate.

P8120185%20copy-L.jpg

With our bellies full and the hubby loaded with coffee, we headed back to the room to get our bathing suits on. The hubby and Sakari had no idea what we are doing and as always, they just roll with the flow with momma duck being in charge.

We changed, packed our beach bags, and headed out.

It was a bit of a walk around the hotel, down by the outside shops, and then up the glass elevator with a view.

P8120216%20copy-L.jpg

P8120219%20copy-L.jpg

It was a gorgeous day outside and I was so happy about that.

P8120218%20copy-L.jpg

We got to the end and found the rail car (I guess that's what you call it). This rail car (2 of them) would take us down the "mountain" of the resort and to the marina area.

P8120221%20copy-L.jpg

There's a nice view from the rail car too as we descended down the hill.

P8120222%20copy-L.jpg

I caught the other rail car coming back up and snapped a picture.

P8120223%20copy-L.jpg

Down we go...

P8120224%20copy-L.jpg

Now knowing how many pictures I take, people must think I'm just crazy and wondering why I take all these pictures. There wasn't but one other person that took a (singular) picture as we were going down. I must have taken a good 20 or more. I just felt like saying "You have no idea who I am and my responsibilities and if you do anything "different" I will take a picture of you too and it will be in my review". (Just kidding of course...or am I?) But I do get some weird looks (especially when I take pictures of menus or food or drinks).

P8120225%20copy-L.jpg

P8120227%20copy-L.jpg

This was our goal...to make it to the marina.

P8120226%20copy-L.jpg

We made it!

P8120228%20copy-L.jpg

We kinda wandered around wondering where to go.

P8120229%20copy-L.jpg

This was an entirely different world down here as well (also part of the resort, with a hotel mid-way on the rail car and also below). There was more shopping and bars as well. Now there is a water park here at this resort (but you must pay extra) and you had to take the rail car down here to get to it. I had wanted to go there for maybe a half a day, but the hours did not coincide with what I had planned and we had to skip the water park. Maybe another time.

WE ARE GOING TO PALOMINO ISLAND!!!!!! It's a private island for the hotel and I couldn't wait to experience it. I had seen a few pictures prior to going and searched around on the web, but I really didn't realize what was in store for us other than a nice looking beach.

P8120231%20copy-L.jpg

They do have a nice area with seats and it's covered, so it helps with the wait for the ferry to get over to the island and you are not standing in direct sunlight. I thought that was a nice added touch.

P8120230%20copy-L.jpg

The ferry arrived a few minutes before 11am.

P8120232%20copy-L.jpg

This is a very nice and huge ferry. Not exactly what I had expected. This is not your small normal little boat, this was a full blown ferry, able to carry a lot of passengers. How nice.

P8120233%20copy-L.jpg

I tried to talk the hubby into sitting up on the top so that I could take pictures, but he really didn't want to be exposed to the sun not knowing how far away the island was or how long it would take to get there. I gave in and we sat down below...with the statement mumbling out of my mouth that we WOULD be sitting on the top on the way back then. hehe

P8130234%20copy-L.jpg

We were on the ferry by 11:00 and we pulled away at 11:07am. Right away, this occurs....

P8130235%20copy-L.jpg

We arrived at the dock of Palomino Island at 11:24am. So, about a 17 minute ride. Not too bad at all, but the excitement made it feel longer.

Up next is our day at Palomino Island. It was FABULOUS and you wont want to miss it. However, I don't have any of the pictures done or uploaded, so I'll "try" to get back later tonight. Up next for me, a written assignment for school, picking out the pictures and uploading, then I'll continue with the review. :)

Up next is our day at Palomino Island. It was FABULOUS and you wont want to miss it. However, I don't have any of the pictures done or uploaded, so I'll "try" to get back later tonight. Up next for me, a written assignment for school, picking out the pictures and uploading, then I'll continue with the review. :)

Can't wait. Loving your review.

My daughter and her husband are visiting Bio Bay next month. Can't wait to hear what they say. We cruise to San Juan next year, however we are only there for about 8 hours. All in daylight.

Edited by LadyBeBop

Love your review so far! Im doing this Itinerary solo out of Barbados February 2018 and since the Fascination just started this itin its hard to find picture reviews so Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! :) You always do such and awesome job! Ive read quite a few of your picture reviews in the past. They've helped me out a lot.

I was wondering if you have the funtimes for this crusie? I know its early but Im a SUPER planner like you. Its never to early to start looking forward to and planning the next adventure! :D:D

Thanks Gena

As always, enjoying your review and the many pics. :)

Too bad your experience at the Biobay wasn't that great. DH and I went in November of 2003. Maybe the time of year makes a difference? Anyway, it was outstanding! I had found a calendar of the moon phases and we ended up being there on a night that was rated 'best' for viewing. We had chosen to do the kayaks and it was a blast. Seriously - pitch black all around you - except for the glow sticks attached to the kayaks. When we got to the bay, it was amazing. Stirring up the water with our oars produced a million speckles of light. When you lifted the oar out of the water you could see the glowing droplets run down. When we scared a fish under the water, you could see it race off and leave a trail of luminescence. Towards the end, we had some water in the bottom of our kayak and even that was glowing. However, we just went in February and the experience was not the same. Almost a full moon and very minimal light in the water, and nothing like we had first experienced.

I wonder if they have changed the setup with the bathrooms there? Both times I was there, it was a bit sketchy. Long lines and the bathrooms were gross, and no TP! I ended up sharing a stall with my husband in the men's because the ladies' line was just too long - we only needed it to change clothes anyway. That's nice to hear if they have spruced them up - I was always amazed how terrible they were for being in such a popular, busy spot.

I seriously love your reviews. So much information with your sense of humor built in. Thanks so much for doing this for everybody here.

And, please go to Alaska and do a review. I can't find anything close to a review of Alaska that has as much information as a Mitsugirly review. Pretty please?

YAY!! Another review from Kim. I'm excited for this as it have not heard many reviews form this itinerary. Plus I love your CCL reviews as its my preferred cruise line. Hopefully this will tide me over until we sail in Oct.

Sakari had her pancakes and cleaned the plate.

P8120185%20copy-L.jpg

With our bellies full and the hubby loaded with coffee, we headed back to the room to get our bathing suits on. The hubby and Sakari had no idea what we are doing and as always, they just roll with the flow with momma duck being in charge.

We changed, packed our beach bags, and headed out.

It was a bit of a walk around the hotel, down by the outside shops, and then up the glass elevator with a view.

P8120216%20copy-L.jpg

P8120219%20copy-L.jpg

It was a gorgeous day outside and I was so happy about that.

P8120218%20copy-L.jpg

We got to the end and found the rail car (I guess that's what you call it). This rail car (2 of them) would take us down the "mountain" of the resort and to the marina area.

P8120221%20copy-L.jpg

There's a nice view from the rail car too as we descended down the hill.

P8120222%20copy-L.jpg

FYI I think that's what's called a Funicular railway.

Loving your review, Kim.

Crew!!! Glad you made it! :D

Aww Stacey, we are going to lose you in a few days. Darn. I won't even get to the good part by then. (But going on a cruise is much better than reading my review I promise :D). I hope you have a wonderful time. Hey, I'm considering Alaska next summer. (Sakari tells me she'll sit this one out. LOL Yea, wait until I show her all the "new" animals she'll get to see. I'm sure she'll change her mind).

I definitely want to do the "ABC" islands for sure. It's been on my radar for quite some time now. I will get there one day!

School is back in session (the day we were still in Puerto Rico actually) and I'm back on the grind. It makes it hard to concentrate when all I want to do is check out my vacation pictures (I haven't even looked at them yet myself and pretty much get to see them as everyone else does, except a few minutes prior when I'm sifting through them to pick which ones to share). I started last November I believe it was. I remember I was the last class to start in that semester right before Christmas. So, it hasn't been quite a year yet. I'm counting down the classes now...2 classes until my next vacation. LOL :eek: :p Good luck with the MSN program. You go girl!

Have a fun cruise.

-fellow pop drinking nurse Kim ┣▇▇▇═─

Thank you!!! The sad thing is about the MSN is that a lot of it is repetitive of the BSN...same leadership/statistics/professionalism type classes that are quite BORING to write papers on. I prefer writing and reading cruise reviews LOL!!! Congrats on having almost one year down-how much longer do you have to go? You are doing an online program as well, is that correct?

Am I reading this correctly-Sakari the animal lover does NOT want to do Alaska?!?! I'm planning most of my excursions in hopes of seeing the wildlife!! I will try to share any good photos to help you entice "her" into booking a cruise there...it is a pricier one but they are a bit better in May or September FYI. I'll be on my first "older" NCL ship so that will be interesting as well.

I'm sorry that the biolum bay was less than stellar! I wouldn't sweat not being ale to get the high quality photos if you guys were at least able to see it in person, but it doesn't sound like that was the case, either. I debated doing the bio bay when I was there, but didn't have as much time, and ended up doing Toro Verde zipline park(hope you came across it)-sounds like I didn't miss much:) You guys went much further into PR, the resort looks AMAZING, and I'm sure you had a less touristy experience!

I'm definitely not going anywhere-will still follow the review up to and on vacation if possible(waiting to see how 3G service works on Alaskan cruise), but either way, I know I'll enjoy it whenever I get it!! As I said before, I'm interested to know if the Fascination has changed much(last sailed her in '07).

ABC(well, at least A and C) islands were pretty cool, I hope you guys get there soon, which I am sure you will-I envy the amount of cruises you get to do, but love reading the reviews, as a "few" other people on here seem to as well:) Enjoy reliving your pictures, and I hope your next two classes go by quickly!

Stacey