Compare Star Princess to Emerald Princess

ctemkg

I already know the basics of ship age, how many passengers they carry, general layout, etc...... but since we were on the Emerald this past February for a Caribbean cruise, and we're on the Star this coming February for a Hawaii cruise, I'll be very interested to see what people have to say.

I haven't been on the Star since 2011 but I remember I liked it very much. It has most of the same things the Emerald Princess has, although perhaps in slightly different places. It doesn't have Adagio (a bad thing) but it also doesn't have an additional deck of passenger cabins and Share (good things). And, best of all, it has a covered pool area, which is perfect for the Hawaii itineraries.

I haven't been on the Star since 2011 but I remember I liked it very much. It has most of the same things the Emerald Princess has, although perhaps in slightly different places. It doesn't have Adagio (a bad thing) but it also doesn't have an additional deck of passenger cabins and Share (good things). And, best of all, it has a covered pool area, which is perfect for the Hawaii itineraries.

Much more alike than different. Check out the deck plans to see what is where and/or not there. Other than that they are as PescadoAmarillo said above. Enjoy.

I have been on both ships and I totally agree with you.

Tony

I leave on the Emerald in 5 days; my 2nd cruise on that ship.. I was on the Star last year RT to Hawaii. I like the 'familiar' feeling I had when I got to the Star.

The biggest difference is the covered pool on the Star -- a pleasant place to sit/read or hot tub on "damp" days.

Enjoy!

Edited by DRS/NC

The Star has this really nice, separate dessert area at the buffet. It is very clean, bright, and orderly.

As already mentioned, the Star does not have Share. Thank goodness. It does still have Sabatini's.

The extra deck of additional passengers makes it more difficult to find a seat at the shows, on the Emerald. On the Star, I go to the shows 15 minutes ahead.

On the Emerald, sometimes it is necessary to go 30 minutes early.

The extra passengers on the Emerald contribute to a less orderly disembarkation than on the Star.

I have been on both the Emerald and her sister, the Ruby. I am pleased to say that my future cruises are on the smaller Sun, the smaller Grand, and the smaller Star. (By smaller, I mean not having that extra deck of additional passengers, on the Grand and Star.). The Sun, of course, is older and even smaller.

Enjoy!

As already mentioned' date=' the Star does not have Share. Thank goodness. It does still have Sabatini's.

Was on the Emerald recently but has been a while since the Star.

But glad for pointing out that the Star does not have Share.:)

The Star Princess is a baby grand class ship whereas the Emerald is a super grand class ship which, as Pam has noted, has an extra 400 passengers because of the added Riviera deck. Because of the fewer passengers on the Star Princess, dining in the the main dining rooms is more relaxing. The waiters seem much calmer than they are on the super grand class ships, and with fewer passengers, the wait staff can give more individual attention and service.

Our mini suite E731? on the Emerald had a full size sofa bed, on the Star E718 it had a smaller sofa bed with a bedside table.

On the Star there was 5:45 pm dining, not 6 pm, and no tables for 2 in that MDR -- they did eventually make one for us.

Edited by Alaskanb