Luggage... Hard shell vs Soft Sided... your thoughts...

McWeeOne

Which one did you buy? A Flatbed?

I bought a new Eagle Creek 22" Load Warrior the other week. Sierra Trading Post had it for $129. Bright light green color, so it goes with my eBags bags. It doesn't have backpack straps for convertibility, so it will have some limitations on where I use it. My other Eagle Creek Tarmac 22" is now 10 years old (and still in great shape), so I had no issues with buying this one. I'm a soft-sided luggage slut; I've got 6 carryon-legal bags in various configurations, and 2 25x14x14 bags (my "big" Osprey bags, one with wheels and straps and one just straps) when I need more room and will be comfortable checking a bag. I do a a bit of adventure travel, so the durability of soft sides comes into play as does the ability to port in multiple modes (wheels, straps, handles). If you are largely cruise-oriented, I don't think it would matter much; most people unpack and push the luggage under the bed.

It's not the Flatbed, I'm not so fond of that one. This is one I've had for about 6-7 years now, and I don't think they make it anymore. It is looks like a smaller, slimmer version of the Load Warrior pictured here: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/load-warrior-26/d/1512C1546 It's about 24" and very narrow. I'm sure you'll like yours.

(The other, larger Eagle Creek bag I mentioned is a Tarmac too and also has held up very well over quite a few international flights, cruises, etc.)

It's not the Flatbed, I'm not so fond of that one. This is one I've had for about 6-7 years now, and I don't think they make it anymore. It is looks like a smaller, slimmer version of the Load Warrior pictured here: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/load-warrior-26/d/1512C1546 It's about 24" and very narrow. I'm sure you'll like yours.

(The other, larger Eagle Creek bag I mentioned is a Tarmac too and also has held up very well over quite a few international flights, cruises, etc.)

STP also had some Flatbeds (I now have a brick-and-mortar STP 30 minutes away) and I also wasn't fond of them. But, for a cruise where you are shoving the bag underneath the bed, it could have potential. I should never have gone into that store - too many travel bags to be tempted with ;)

Your bag sounds like dimensions of my Osprey Sojourn - it's 25" but narrow, almost like a carryon-bag on a small amount of steroids...

The Eagle Creek bags are indeed seemingly bulletproof. That is why I like them. It is also the reason I like the Osprey bags. Osprey also has a lifetime guarantee for their bags.

• 4 months later...

We are debating about buying rolling duffle bags both checked & carryon. Currently we have soft side checked & carryon 2 wheeled as well as 4 wheel spinner bags. I use the 4 wheeled as either 4 wheels or 2 wheels depending on where I am and found no problem using it either way. I do use packing cubes. Also I really can't lift much overhead due to a bad shoulder so my carryon currently is a back pack that fits under the seat. I try not to spend much more than $100 for checked bags and they have held up pretty well, however we drive more than fly unless we are cruising (most ports are too far to drive). My husbands previous wheeled duffle he loved & just wore it out, his biggest complaint was it tipped side ways very easily while wheeling it.

With all that said and all I have read here it looks like a wheeled duffle may be what I buy for our cruise in March (flying). A 10 night cruise & 2 nights pre cruise hotel stay. Now to decide how much I want to spend & which brand to purchase. Suggestions please!

We have the FUL rolling duffels from Costco -- decent price, hold a lot of stuff but do tend to tip/lean when not being pulled or held on to.... the real plus is their light weight (I think 7-8 lbs).

Edited by 57redbird
add'l info

Its largely a matter of personal preference.

Hard sides luggage that is newer is made of a different material than the hard sided luggage of the past. It still opens up in the middle.

I have been in airports several times and seen the newer made type of hard sided luggage where an end or corner section had been cracked and severely damaged, so I don't believe the new stuff they are making hard sided luggage out of is as durable as the old stuff.

I also don't believe that the argument that the hard sided luggage (newer lighter weight stuff) is any more durable than the soft sided luggage.