Ship Decor ala Carnival

alexmom

We took our very first cruise on the Dream and loved it ! But then Princess did the Royal, and we bailed. I would really like to do another Carnival cruise, but I'm so afraid I'll wind up on one of the ships that look like Las Vegas threw up on it. Can some CC Carnival cruisers tell me which ships are normal and which ones require sunglasses ? I already know the Dream and Breeze are beautiful, and of course the Vista. Carnival is always doing refurbs, have they removed the flashing polka dotted stripes from the main areas of some of the older ships ?

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Kristine

The ships with "toned down" decor are the Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, and Sunshine

Thanks, spencercoop ! Because the decor DOES matter, and living on a glitter bomb for 7 days would certainly damage my calm. Not that I require boring, super swanky, or matchy-matchy decor, just not visually jarring. I didn't think it was an unusual or even unreasonable request, until I saw the other replies !!

Kristine

People, really? No on ever brought your attention to the fact that Carnivak has over the top decor? It's known for that, in fact it embraced it for a long time. If you read about each ship and Joe Farcus's concept for the decor of each ship then you're familiar with the fact that he was trying to make an extremely bold statement with each room he designed. It's not for everyone. Not by a long shot. But when your dining room has giant purple grape items in the ceiling and walls that light up you are indeed dining in a Vegas-type room. It matters to a lot of people. Some people want a peaceful, understated, possibly even nautical decor. You don't have to act like the OP is examining the decor with a magnifying glass and letting it "ruin her cruise" when she should be having fun. She never said she wouldn't have fun.

Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, and to a lesser extent Sunshine.

Hope this helps.

We took our very first cruise on the Dream and loved it ! But then Princess did the Royal, and we bailed. I would really like to do another Carnival cruise, but I'm so afraid I'll wind up on one of the ships that look like Las Vegas threw up on it. Can some CC Carnival cruisers tell me which ships are normal and which ones require sunglasses ? I already know the Dream and Breeze are beautiful, and of course the Vista. Carnival is always doing refurbs, have they removed the flashing polka dotted stripes from the main areas of some of the older ships ?

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Kristine

For me, I love the flashy Vegas decor [emoji3] It's fun and exciting and puts me in the mood to cruise. I've been on the Breeze and found it to be too subdued for me. To each his own I suppose [emoji854]

Because the decor DOES matter,

If it matters to you then thats all that really matters :) Some people around here think that just because its no big deal to them, it should not be a big deal to you. We could ask "why does......matter" about every question asked here though.

Magic was a little "loud" decor wise compared to what I was use to on Royal but such a wonderful ship. I would not hesitate to recommend Magic to you or anyone else.

Edited by ryano

I thought the Elation was fairly understand for an older ship. Was that due to a refurb?

The one I hat the most is the Pride decor. Yuck. Michelangelos and bar boobies. Dark Shadows lounges. But I love the Pride all the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, I love the flashy Vegas decor [emoji3] It's fun and exciting and puts me in the mood to cruise. I've been on the Breeze and found it to be too subdued for me. To each his own I suppose [emoji854]

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Glory for similar reasons. Very excited by the colorful decor I've seen on YouTube videos.

Edited by DrAstroZoom

Farcus' kitsch can be appealing in small doses, and I will admit there are couple of spaces that I do actually like (I loved Medusa's Lair on the Pride, as an example), but on a cruise with a bunch of sea days can get a little oppressive/overwhelming, at least for me.

I've been looking at doing a cruise on the Splendor, and I'd never really seen her innards before. That's pretty much Peak Farcus right there.

Everyone has their hot buttons, what turns them on, what turns them off. So, don't fault the thread starter if ship décor is important to them. I got a kick out of the over the top look on Carnival's older ships. The only ugly overdone area to me and it didn't turn me off to my cruise fun was the MDR on the Conquest. I believe it was the Monet dining room. It seemed like a mish mash of tacky claustrophobic decoration. Overturned horse shoe arches and sharp angles made me feel a bit dizzy especially the one night the sea was a wee bit rough. The Breeze overall reminded me of a suburban generic mid level Holiday Inn Circa early 2000. Though the ship was clean and in great shape I noticed there was a lot of vandalism in the plane Jane brown elevators. My number one priority on a cruise, relaxing, fun and meeting new friends. Great food and a cabin that has adequate air conditioning are runners up.

Having looked at people's pictures of their trips on the Vista this summer, I find myself wondering if they've gone too far in the other direction. The Red Frog and Guy's seem to be fairly cookie cutter on every ship, and the whole thing reminds me a lot of a chain restaurant like Applebee's or Olive Garden. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but my opinion that Farcus seemed to go increasingly OTT toward the end of his run aside, at least it was visually distinctive.

Maybe there's a happy medium somewhere.