Port Vila on a Sunday

We are sailing on Carnival Legend in December and will be in Port Vila on a sunday. Does anyone know if most things will be open or closed? I am hoping the duty free stores are open but it would be a shame if we missed out on seeing a lot of the other things due to them being closed.

We are sailing on Carnival Legend in December and will be in Port Vila on a sunday. Does anyone know if most things will be open or closed? I am hoping the duty free stores are open but it would be a shame if we missed out on seeing a lot of the other things due to them being closed.

Vanuatu is a relatively poor country, I cannot see them shutting up shop when hoardes of cashed up tourists will be roaming the streets.

Perhaps you can try emailing the most popular Duty Free shop to get it first hand fungkuei at vanuatu. com. vu

PS .... when going into town take the water taxi - not road taxi ..... you can thank me later :)

We have been in Vila on a Sunday on a couple of occasions. The duty free shops will definitely be open. Shops and businesses aimed at the locals (chemist, bank etc.) will be closed and the main street will be a little bit quieter. Instead of roughly 100 market stalls set up near the ship there will probably be fewer, but the merchandise is a bit repetitive so you won't miss anything.:)

Bigdavefc

An option for Port Vila, if you & your travelling companion/s enjoy the odd alcoholic beverage & a mini sight-seeing tour thrown in, is to do the Taste of Vila tour which is on the Carnival tours list.

A half day of rollicking good fun, singing in the coach & visits to 4 or 5 local bars for a coldie or 2!:D

Cheers

Ned

We have been in Vila on a Sunday, Duty Free and Chinese owned shops are definately opened.

You are also welcome at most of the resorts for a swim if you buy a drink or a meal.

As we have been there a fair bit more our first stop is the duty free, then next door to the Anchor Inn for a Tusker, a bit off in town shopping.

Lunch at one of the bars, The Waterfront, Chill or the Lava Lounge.

My husband then takes my daughter for a swim at the Grand, whilst I go across the road for a Thai Massage.

We then normally walk back to the ship stopping at the Supermarket for snacks and then the War Horse for another drink and a then a look at the markets at the wharf.

It is a nice way to spend the day if it's not to hot and humid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums