New 5 fold increase in Vietnam visa fees

jacketwatch

Hello. Is anyone booked for a cruise with a stop(s) in Vietnam and if so have they enacted these new fees? We cruised the Sapphire last March and the visa fees were nominal and attached to our ships Acct. As of Aug. 29 the new fees are about $250.00 pp multi entry good for 1 yr. Anyone know what Princess is doing now? Thank you.

Copied from the cruise personalizer for our Golden trip next month:

VIETNAM VISA/PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

A Vietnam visa is required for most guests on this voyage, including Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and U.S. passport holders. You may either obtain the visa on your own before your cruise, or a visa will be issued upon arrival in Vietnam. If you choose to have the visa issued on board, a passport-size photo or copy of your passport photo page is required, and a visa fee of USD $56.00 per person (USD $76.00 per person for those participating on an overland package) will be charged to your stateroom account.

Some guests, including UK passport holders, do not require a visa; however, they will be charged $1 per person for a landing card and a $1 per person processing fee.

All guests' passports must be valid for at least six months after departing Vietnam and must contain at least one unused page for entry/exit endorsements.

Thank you. :)

I called the VN embassy in DC and consulates in SFO, NY, LA and Houston and it was ridiculous. I was not able to speak to a single person and got transferred multiple times to non-working numbers and mail boxes that were full. I called Travisa in Chicago and was quoted a price of $249.00 so I now wonder if Princess or any cruise line with stops in VN will increase the visa fees for cruises booked after this increase took effect Aug. 29th.

Edited by jacketwatch

thistledoo: when did you look at your cruise personalizer? You had best print that as evidence since I believe it is wrong. Info on Princess web site is out of date. It is possible Princess made a special deal with VN but this new high cost has only been in effect for a week. You may be in for a nasty surprise.

Was in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago,we got a pre approval letter from our travel agent (this was free)the cost of stamping this has gone Down for a single visit for upto 1 month at 25us per person,this we paid at the airport.So something wrong here...

JUST gone to Vietnam Visa ONLINE and cost was $16.15 for letter of approval and $25 as I said for stamping fee paid on arrival,now this is airport but cannot see why it would be more on a cruise..

Edited by aussiepom

Was in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago,we got a pre approval letter from our travel agent (this was free)the cost of stamping this has gone Down for a single visit for upto 1 month at 25us per person,this we paid at the airport.So something wrong here...

JUST gone to Vietnam Visa ONLINE and cost was $16.15 for letter of approval and $25 as I said for stamping fee paid on arrival,now this is airport but cannot see why it would be more on a cruise..

The increased cost for a visa is only for Americans.

http://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-visa-fees-granted-to-us-tourists-set-to-skyrocket-from-late-august-3462537.html

And this:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/travel/tourism-firms-complain-as-vietnam-increases-visa-fees-5fold-for-us-visitors-65756.html

Edited by susiesan

Thanks for the link.

So it is $135? Wonder how much Princess will charge to include "administrative" charges.

Thanks for the link.

So it is $135? Wonder how much Princess will charge to include "administrative" charges.

It's $135 if you fly in. If you enter by land or sea you need to get a visa through an embassy or consulate at a cost of between $185 to $220, depending on where you get the visa.

It is possible Princess may make a special "deal" with VN government for their pax, grease the right palms.

With these kinds of costs for a visa for one or two days, will you still take this cruise? Or cancel and book one that does not go to Vietnam.

It's $135 if you fly in. If you enter by land or sea you need to get a visa through an embassy or consulate at a cost of between $185 to $220, depending on where you get the visa.

It is possible Princess may make a special "deal" with VN government for their pax, grease the right palms.

With these kinds of costs for a visa for one or two days, will you still take this cruise? Or cancel and book one that does not go to Vietnam.

I've never heard of visa costs varying by method of entry. By expidited processing and by how long it's in effect yes. Weird. :eek:

Definitely cancel.

FWIW, I have called Princess twice about the issue and their staff seems clueless about there being a change in policy. (Their visa fee costs haven't changed since booking my cruise in Feb) I wrote to the embassy and was told via email that i would have to get the 1 year visa (arriving via Diamond princess in December). Still waiting to see if princess can work a deal because of ship arrival, but would love to hear if anyone has heard anything else contrary to what is being said right now.

FWIW, I have called Princess twice about the issue and their staff seems clueless about there being a change in policy. (Their visa fee costs haven't changed since booking my cruise in Feb) I wrote to the embassy and was told via email that i would have to get the 1 year visa (arriving via Diamond princess in December). Still waiting to see if princess can work a deal because of ship arrival, but would love to hear if anyone has heard anything else contrary to what is being said right now.

If you have to pay $220 for the visa through the embassy, will you go ahead and get it? Or will you just stay on the ship? If you go the embassy route give yourself plenty of time to mail it in and get it back. Cruise ship pax are not eligible for the VOA @$135.

thistledoo: when did you look at your cruise personalizer? You had best print that as evidence since I believe it is wrong. Info on Princess web site is out of date. It is possible Princess made a special deal with VN but this new high cost has only been in effect for a week. You may be in for a nasty surprise.

It's unchanged. It has to be paid regardless of whether you get off the ship or not.

It's unchanged. It has to be paid regardless of whether you get off the ship or not.

That'd be a deal killer for me. I'd be cancelling that cruise and looking for another that does not go to Vietnam. This new visa policy is really going to hurt Princesses' booking from Americans on these Asian cruises. I find it hard to believe they know nothing about this, especially after booked pax have brought it to their attention.

We have paid high fees like those above for just one day in a West African port. Vietnam is worth that money, there is so much to see and do there. It is a wonderful country. Obviously, the U.S. has put the Visa fee up for the Vietnamese as it always works both ways.

We have the same trouble with Brazil. Our Visa to travel there is only good for up to 3 months and yet if U.S. citizens get a Brazillian Visa it is good for a few years. During one year, we travelled to Brazil twice and had to pay for two visas each.

If you are visiting a number of ports in Vietnam, I would definitely still do the cruise. In the scheme of things, the cost of the visa, is only a small charge compared to your airfares, cost of your cruise etc. plus you will be seeing a different kind of culture to what you are used to. It is such a picturesque country and the contrast between the north and the south is fascinating.

Jennie

I just looked in My Personalizer and this is what is posted now. This was under the Calendars and Planning tab at the bottom of the itinerary

Please be advised that some of our prices for visas that can be obtained onboard have changed. Countries affected are: Cambodia, Indonesia, Jordan, and Vietnam. As your voyage visits one or more of these countries, please visit your Cruise Personalizer to review the updated visa information (on the Itinerary page under Important Notices, or on your Travel Summary under Important Notices).

You have the option of obtaining your visas in advance directly from the consulate of the countries visited. If you choose to obtain the visa on board, the applicable fee will be charged to your stateroom account.

I've never heard of visa costs varying by method of entry. By expidited processing and by how long it's in effect yes. Weird. :eek:

Hi, Try Chile. If you sail in it costs nothing. If you drive in it costs nothing. If you fly in to the Santiago Airport it costs heaps! From memory about $300 plus for two of us. Go figure!

Hi, Try Chile. If you sail in it costs nothing. If you drive in it costs nothing. If you fly in to the Santiago Airport it costs heaps! From memory about $300 plus for two of us. Go figure!

That changed for both Chile and Argentina. Visa free now for American tourists. You can stay 90 days without a visa.

As you can see from the previous posts, many visa fees are dependent upon your home country. It seems that often the fee for US citizens is much higher than for other nationalities. AND it isn't unusual for them to be different dependent upon whether you arrive by air or sea. The visa on arrival that is offered by many countries usually is only available if you arrive by air or cross a land border--usually not for cruise passengers. In most countries it doesn't matter whether you stay on the ship or go ashore--the visa fee still must be paid. On our cruise that leaves in 2 weeks we have a 1-day stop in India and we had to get a visa is advance--at a cost of $330 for the two of us. We have to get 4 visas for this cruise--two in advance and two on the ship.

When we went to Chile we had to pay the "reciprocity" fee of $150 pp because we flew in--it was discontinued the next year. Last year we had to pay the same fee for Argentina. Has it also been discontinued? We just accept that visa fees are a cost of traveling and would never cancel a trip just because some of the countries have a visa requirement that is a "pain in the ----" to get and a sometimes considerable expense.

Don't let the visa fee cause you to cancel your cruise to Vietnam. It is a wonderful experience to travel there and you will be so glad you went. We did a land tour there a few years ago and I'm anxious to go back again some day.

When we went to Chile we had to pay the "reciprocity" fee of $150 pp because we flew in--it was discontinued the next year. Last year we had to pay the same fee for Argentina. Has it also been discontinued?

After President Obama visited Argentina last winter (March?), the Argentine government announced a temporary lifting of the reciprocity fee for Americans. The lifting was made permanent last month.

Many visa fees for US citizens are just tit for tat - other countries charge the same amount as the US does for their citizens to get a visa to the USA.

Edited by capriccio