Fencing!

TheArchitect

We're booked on the V715 Southampton-Rome cruise next year and I was wondering if anybody knew whether QV still gave the fencing lessons as a matter of course? The Cunard website seems to suggest to but there's a paucity of detail beyond some very old forum posts suggesting sea days.

I ask because I was part of the Scotland B foil and epee teams at the last Commonwealths, thus thinking that it might be rather interesting to wander down for a look and offer to lend a hand if they wished. Before anyone hollers about liability, I do have a coaching qualification and insurances from tone of the requisite bodies.

I was on board in May and joined in the classes, for a second time. It is fun, but the scoring went a bit haywire in the competition at the end of the course. Also, as I have fenced before, I was put with men for the competition, rather than the ladies.

I was on board in May and joined in the classes, for a second time. It is fun, but the scoring went a bit haywire in the competition at the end of the course. Also, as I have fenced before, I was put with men for the competition, rather than the ladies.

Well, it's only foil - not a real weapon like epee. ;-)

How do they handle experienced fencers turning up? Are we just a nuisance? It's not as if I'm planning to take the FIE kit with me.

Edited by TheArchitect

I did the fencing course a couple of years ago - the level is very basic and anyone with any experience shows - It all depends on the level of the other fencers if likeI was,all beginners, then the eperienced fencers are a pain as they are so much better, but it all depends on how may take part.

We're booked on the V715 Southampton-Rome cruise next year and I was wondering if anybody knew whether QV still gave the fencing lessons as a matter of course? The Cunard website seems to suggest to but there's a paucity of detail beyond some very old forum posts suggesting sea days.

I ask because I was part of the Scotland B foil and epee teams at the last Commonwealths, thus thinking that it might be rather interesting to wander down for a look and offer to lend a hand if they wished. Before anyone hollers about liability, I do have a coaching qualification and insurances from tone of the requisite bodies.

yes the fencing is still going on onboard. It could easily be described as the most fun you can have with your pants on - Im envious you were able to achieve such lofty heights as to represent Scotland...

The lessons are limited as obviously unless its a world cruise people are not on long enough to get anywhere other than through the basics. If Vetor is taking the classes, you'll spend most of it laughing at his antics. There were a couple of people who joined us during the WC this year who were reasonably proficient and it was fun to watch Vetor challenged. I think the sports directors only get a few days teaching themselves to pass on.

The lessons were certainly enough though to whet my appetite. Its a great sport.

The lessons are on during sea days and when they can fit them in, during a week typically we would have maybe two to three lessons.

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/2016/01/en-guarde-parry-thrust-attack-13.html

Edited by roscoe39

yes the fencing is still going on onboard. It could easily be described as the most fun you can have with your pants on - Im envious you were able to achieve such lofty heights as to represent Scotland...

Scotland B, in all fairness. At veteran level. Not that lofty!

We only got one them silver thingies. Knocked out in the final by the Devils in White. :p

I wouldn't take my team trackies...

Edited by TheArchitect

I was just on the QV last week and tried the fencing. There were 14 in the group and it was offered every day at sea. We had only 1 person with any experience in our group. The others were complete novices. By the time we went through how to get the equipment on use the foils safely, there was only about 5 minutes remaining for a few very bad attempts at fencing. Only you can judge whether it would be worth your time but I would have my doubts.