Celebrity Eclipse

lindyloo22

Hi,

We have returned from a Baltic cruise in July. Our cabin with a balcony was worth the extra cost. Choice of foods in the restaurants was international. Crew very friendly and efficient. But your chatting with friends in one of the leisure areas will often be spoiled by very loud music. You can't hear yourself talking. Some shows in the theatre will cause you to get up and leave because of the excessively loud thumping music. Take it into consideration.

Well it's kind of a broad question but it's a beautiful ship. We've been on her 4 times with a 5th scheduled, and her sister ship 3 times with a 4th coming up. Eclipse is what is called an S class ship, meaning "Solstice" class. There are 5 in this class, and they are beautiful.

The majority of cabins are the same size, although differently priced depending on location and some amenities, and the Main Dining Room is the assigned dining every night (although there are for-pay specialty restaurants you can go to which we always feel are all part of the whole cruise experience).

Aqua Class cabins are also the same size but they have their own restaurant, Blu, which is smaller and quieter and the capability for customizing items and menus is greater since they are serving far far fewer people.

There are different suites, too. The sky suites are the smallest and those are S1 which are the corner aft cabins (we book those all the time) and the S2 cabins which are not corners. Same size. Then there are larger suites -- Celebrity Suite, Royal Suite and the biggest, Penthouse Suite. Suites have their own restaurant, Luminae, and a private lounge, Michael's club, and a butler.

You can have a fabulous cruise no matter what cabin you choose. We've been in every category except inside cabins (no window).

We like that there is no smoking indoors anywhere and none on balconies and very few exterior locations with smoke. We like that there are no announcements during the day. They assume you're intelligent and can read the printed daily that is put on your bed every day, and make your own decisions about what to do and you also don't need staff around every corner urging you to join this and do that. No signing out for beach and pool towels.

Now you have me excited to sail in 9 or so weeks. Keep reading these boards and check out You tube and you'll find out a lot about the ship. I would caution you, however, that you should leave some things for when you make that first step on board. Don't find out every little thing, so that you have that oooooh and aaaaaaah upon discovering the ship.

The Eclipse has been my favorite of the 6 Celebrity ships I've sailed on. The S-Class ships are similar but not identical to each other. I love the artwork on the Eclipse, and I love that the Hot Glass Show is onboard. Glassblowing is like magic to me and I could watch the artists all day.

You can see renderings of each cabin category on the Celebrity website. You'll see that all of the veranda categories have identical sizes and layouts. The differences lie in location and amenities. To confuse you a bit more, you'll be seeing references to "hump" cabins. The humps are the areas that jut out a bit. The cabins on the flat outer portion of the humps have normal sized balconies, but the cabins on the angled portion of the humps all have extra deep balconies regardless of cabin category. There are 1A, C2, Aquaclass (A1) and some suites that have these deeper balconies. The deck plans do not give any clue that this is so, and many travel agents, including Celebrity agents, do not realize this.

I reference these older threads quite often, especially Part 2. You'll see which cabins have the deeper balconies and what they look like. Shout out to member cruisetrail who spent much effort compiling and posting the photos in these two threads.

The Splendor and Misery of Celebrity: Eclipse and S-Class Ships Review in Pictures

The Grand Tour of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

Are all the Solstice class ships the same? Not literally and without regard to the crew. Do they all have the same cabins and amenities I guess is what I mean.

Did the newer ships get better, or did they need to cut corners?

They are mostly the same. The first three [solstice, Equinox and Eclipse] are almost exactly the same. Silhouette is the same size but has a few more passengers, and lacks the Hot Glass Show on the top deck. Reflection has an extra deck, even more passengers, and again no Hot Glass Show. Since we found the glass show an unexpected delight, we have no interest in sailing those newer two. There have been reports that Reflection feels more crowded, but there are also many posters here who say Reflection is their favorite ship -- YMMV :)

Since we found the glass show an unexpected delight, we have no interest in sailing those newer two.

Funny how views can be different...

Silhouette and Reflection feature the Lawn Club Grille instead of the Hot Glass Show.

Lawn Club Grille is one of our favorite restaurants on any Celebrity ship. Excellent food and great outdoor seating right next to the lawn.

Also Silhouette and Reflection have the Hideaway area instead of Team Earth. While the Hideaway is a very popular and cozy place to many people, I have seen very few people spend time at Team Earth.

The fabulous Sunset Bar is larger on Silhouette and Reflection and features cozy lounge chairs. I was surprised to see regular wooden furniture on Eclipse in May.

I agree that Reflection feels a bit more crowded but we did not feel that it was to an extend that it would bother us. On Silhouette we felt no difference. Our favourite S-Class is Silhouette.

However, I am in no way saying that Eclipse isn´t great either !!! ;)

I can offer many ships photos of Eclipse in this review: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Eclipse-Iceland-1/eclipse-iceland-1.html

And here´s a photo show of Reflection:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Ships/Celebrity-Reflection/celebrity-reflection.html

Oliver

Edited by Miaminice

Miaminice puts it quite nicely. Eclipse is fine and you may enjoy the cruise (depends upon what you like and expectations). We prefer Reflection but only because :

Lawn Club

No Hot Glass Show

Hideaway (good for reading and a fairly peaceful time). -We like deck 8 and the hideaway is on 7 so easy for us).

Sunset bar on Reflection.

However I can find no worthwhile negative points about Eclipse.

Well it's kind of a broad question but it's a beautiful ship. We've been on her 4 times with a 5th scheduled, and her sister ship 3 times with a 4th coming up. Eclipse is what is called an S class ship, meaning "Solstice" class. There are 5 in this class, and they are beautiful.

The majority of cabins are the same size, although differently priced depending on location and some amenities, and the Main Dining Room is the assigned dining every night (although there are for-pay specialty restaurants you can go to which we always feel are all part of the whole cruise experience).

Aqua Class cabins are also the same size but they have their own restaurant, Blu, which is smaller and quieter and the capability for customizing items and menus is greater since they are serving far far fewer people.

There are different suites, too. The sky suites are the smallest and those are S1 which are the corner aft cabins (we book those all the time) and the S2 cabins which are not corners. Same size. Then there are larger suites -- Celebrity Suite, Royal Suite and the biggest, Penthouse Suite. Suites have their own restaurant, Luminae, and a private lounge, Michael's club, and a butler.

You can have a fabulous cruise no matter what cabin you choose. We've been in every category except inside cabins (no window).

We like that there is no smoking indoors anywhere and none on balconies and very few exterior locations with smoke. We like that there are no announcements during the day. They assume you're intelligent and can read the printed daily that is put on your bed every day, and make your own decisions about what to do and you also don't need staff around every corner urging you to join this and do that. No signing out for beach and pool towels.

Now you have me excited to sail in 9 or so weeks. Keep reading these boards and check out You tube and you'll find out a lot about the ship. I would caution you, however, that you should leave some things for when you make that first step on board. Don't find out every little thing, so that you have that oooooh and aaaaaaah upon discovering the ship.

Hi CladudiaB,

We just booked our first S1 on the Eclipse for next Dec. is there a specific room or floor that you prefer? Looking at the deck plans it looks like the higher floors have more indoor space, but being under the bar on the top I would think would be noisy and maybe smoky. What do you recommend?

Hi,

We have returned from a Baltic cruise in July. Our cabin with a balcony was worth the extra cost. Choice of foods in the restaurants was international. Crew very friendly and efficient. But your chatting with friends in one of the leisure areas will often be spoiled by very loud music. You can't hear yourself talking. Some shows in the theatre will cause you to get up and leave because of the excessively loud thumping music. Take it into consideration.

I agree with this comment regarding loud music. A loud, not very good, band plays in the atrium in the evening and the sound pollutes not only the cocktail bar, coffee bar but also the library and games room. I love loud rock music but this is just awful and not appropriate to the beautiful setting of the atrium.

Also in most public areas the most awful computer generated muzak is played through the PA which is very irritating. For these reasons I will not sail of the Eclipse again and unless this doesn't bother you I would recommend you do not either.

Been on Eclipse last 2 years & loved it. Best value for me is balcony 2C on deck 6. Don't be put off by restricted view quoted its minimal. It does of course depend on what you want to spend. We are trying SV balcony which are terraced on stern of ship this Oct 3rd.

Been on Eclipse last 2 years & loved it. Best value for me is balcony 2C on deck 6. Don't be put off by restricted view quoted its minimal. It does of course depend on what you want to spend. We are trying SV balcony which are terraced on stern of ship this Oct 3rd.

Only thing I would add though is if smoking bothers you to avoid cabins just stern of hump as this is one of the smoking areas. Port or starboard depending on weather

I agree with this comment regarding loud music. A loud, not very good, band plays in the atrium in the evening and the sound pollutes not only the cocktail bar, coffee bar but also the library and games room. I love loud rock music but this is just awful and not appropriate to the beautiful setting of the atrium.

Also in most public areas the most awful computer generated muzak is played through the PA which is very irritating. For these reasons I will not sail of the Eclipse again and unless this doesn't bother you I would recommend you do not either.

Seconded!

Its the one thing that stops us booking Eclipse again, we go on a cruise for rest and relaxation, that awful music everywhere just spoils it.

Seconded!

Its the one thing that stops us booking Eclipse again, we go on a cruise for rest and relaxation, that awful music everywhere just spoils it.

I'm on the Eclipse now sailing home and we have managed to dodge the music, nothing too loud anywhere.

Only annoyance was a band in the Ensemble Lounge last night that were good but way too loud.

All the 'background' music is at a really low level, didn't notice it last cruise either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm on the Eclipse now sailing home and we have managed to dodge the music, nothing too loud anywhere.

Only annoyance was a band in the Ensemble Lounge last night that were good but way too loud.

All the 'background' music is at a really low level, didn't notice it last cruise either.

We were on the Eclipse in July and the volume of the band in the Ensemble lounge was way too high. It made it difficult to hold a conversation.