Large group dinners

AtlantaAlly

Does anyone have experience with large group dinners (30-40 people eating at the same time, at tables next to one another of 10-12 people)? I did NCL with friends a while back and we either had to eat at 5:30 or 9:30. Our family usually doesn Royal and does early seating at 6:30, 5:30 is just too early. Wondering if they have an option for booking standard times if you have a big enough group?

Does anyone have experience with large group dinners (30-40 people eating at the same time, at tables next to one another of 10-12 people)? I did NCL with friends a while back and we either had to eat at 5:30 or 9:30. Our family usually doesn Royal and does early seating at 6:30, 5:30 is just too early. Wondering if they have an option for booking standard times if you have a big enough group?

You might have to reach out to the group events coordinator. Usually they'll give you that 5:30 or 9:30 but it wouldn't hurt to try for a later time. Unfortunately you want to eat at the same time as most others.

You will need to make advance arrangements for a group that large...hopefully, you have traditional seating, so that your tables are awaiting you! Anytime dining will be a big cluster with a group that large.

On RCL we have previously had traditional dining but now that we're considering NCL, we are trying to figure out if there is an equivalent option.

{Snipped}

I did NCL with friends a while back and we either had to eat at 5:30 or 9:30.

How many friends? Specialty or MDR?

It seems peculiar that you had to eat at either 5.30 or 9.30. :eek:

We have seen large groups (20-30) enter the MDR (quite clearly pre-booked), while we have been eating in there between 6 & 7, with no trouble.

We have seen small groups (4-8) waiting outside the MDR when we have left about 7pm but the wait times are usually less than 20 minutes.

How many friends? Specialty or MDR?

It seems peculiar that you had to eat at either 5.30 or 9.30. :eek:

Snipped

When we were with friends, there were 10 of us. The first night we arrived at the MDR at 6:00 and were told it would be a 60-75 minute wait and they recommended the buffet that night, and for our size group, we should call every morning to make reservations (talk abut a hassle when they only answered the phone every 15th try). And when we would call, they would offer us only those 2 inconvenient times. We went with 530 so we wouldn't have to wait over an hour each night. But they would only let us book for that night. Was very frustrating and turned me off to NCL for a while because we typically sail in groups (10-40)

When we were with friends, there were 10 of us. The first night we arrived at the MDR at 6:00 and were told it would be a 60-75 minute wait and they recommended the buffet that night, and for our size group, we should call every morning to make reservations (talk abut a hassle when they only answered the phone every 15th try). And when we would call, they would offer us only those 2 inconvenient times. We went with 530 so we wouldn't have to wait over an hour each night. But they would only let us book for that night. Was very frustrating and turned me off to NCL for a while because we typically sail in groups (10-40)

Not nice at all, I can feel and understand your frustration. Did you escalate at the time to the F&B Manager?

At the M&G the various managers are very open about being approached at any time, they even provide a card with all 'private' phone numbers.

The other thing would be to arrange it with the Maître d' after your meal the night before.

Arranging in the morning by phone would only be with a junior junior who would have no authority to make decisions just to follow orders!! Another possibility would be to go to the desk at the MDR which is open for breakfast and do it there if you have to do it in the morning.

I was able to pre-book reservations for my upcoming cruise in October on the Jewel for a party of 36. Some cruisers have the Specialty Dining Package and some don't.

You need to email SpecialEventsJewel@ncl.com (replace Jewel with the name of your ship). Include your NCL reservation number, the restaurant you want to dine at, the date and time and the number of people in your party. You can request a reservation for each of the night5 that you will be eating together. They will respond within 2-3 days and send you a confirmation of your reservations. Make sure to print it out and bring it along on your cruise, just in case.

You will need to make advance arrangements for a group that large...hopefully, you have traditional seating, so that your tables are awaiting you! Anytime dining will be a big cluster with a group that large.

Considering there is no 'traditional seating' on NCL ships this wouldn't really be a possibility.

Considering there is no 'traditional seating' on NCL ships this wouldn't really be a possibility.

cb doesn't bother with the details...just blurts out one of her useless stock responses and moves on. :roll eyes:

To answer the OP...I can't speak for NCL personally, but we had a similar situation on Royal Caribbean with a slightly smaller group and with a little advance notice, they were able to seat us all together in the My Time Dining (not traditional) venue. I would think that NCL would work with you in a similar manner. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise!:)

What's the value of eating at their same time with 30 or 40 people? you certainly can't talk to them all

What we have done traditionally is rotate each night. So night 1 the great grand children eat with great grandparents, then the sons one night, the daughters another night, the grand girls another and the grand boys another. But we're all in the same vicinity so grandparents can see their whole family together- it's the whole point of the cruise for us. During the day free time on your own, dinner is together, even if not at the same table. We have traditionally had 4-5 tables right next to each other. We can take table photos every night, can share in the experience.

I was able to pre-book reservations for my upcoming cruise in October on the Jewel for a party of 36. Some cruisers have the Specialty Dining Package and some don't.

You need to email SpecialEventsJewel@ncl.com (replace Jewel with the name of your ship). Include your NCL reservation number, the restaurant you want to dine at, the date and time and the number of people in your party. You can request a reservation for each of the night5 that you will be eating together. They will respond within 2-3 days and send you a confirmation of your reservations. Make sure to print it out and bring it along on your cruise, just in case.

This is great information, thanks!

What we have done traditionally is rotate each night. So night 1 the great grand children eat with great grandparents, then the sons one night, the daughters another night, the grand girls another and the grand boys another. But we're all in the same vicinity so grandparents can see their whole family together- it's the whole point of the cruise for us. During the day free time on your own, dinner is together, even if not at the same table. We have traditionally had 4-5 tables right next to each other. We can take table photos every night, can share in the experience.

Sounds like a plan.