Our 1st cruise on NCL & review!

SportsMomof4

We are going on our 2nd NCL cruise again in December-I am loyal to no cruiseline We LOVED our cruise on Getaway last year!!!! I had a balcony booked on the Carnival Vista this December before I changed back to the Getaway-We had the very best cruise on the Getaway-I just could not imagine we would have a better cruise on the Vista then what we had on the Getaway-Food was great and the staff were amazing-

Edited by sarlin

Unfortunately we did cancel our Escape cruise but I'm wondering if we should give it a chance. The experience on the Sky was so awful that I'm afraid it will be similar on the Escape.

I think it would be a good idea to try NCL again but on another ship. Our first cruise on NCL was on the Dawn and we hated it. The food was awful. Even Cagney's wasn't worth the extra fee. We swore we would never go on NCL again. We finally decided to try the Gem since it departed from New York and we absolutely loved the cruise. The food was excellent, especially the MDR and the buffet. This experience completely changed our opinion about NCL - so much that we are booked on the Breakaway in March.

The ship really can make a huge difference in the cruise experience. Had my first Carnival cruise been on the Triumph or Victory, I probably would never have sailed on Carnival again.

If you do go on the Escape, please post a review. I would love to know if you had a better experience by going on a different ship.

I think it would be a good idea to try NCL again but on another ship. Our first cruise on NCL was on the Dawn and we hated it. The food was awful. Even Cagney's wasn't worth the extra fee. We swore we would never go on NCL again. We finally decided to try the Gem since it departed from New York and we absolutely loved the cruise. The food was excellent, especially the MDR and the buffet. This experience completely changed our opinion about NCL - so much that we are booked on the Breakaway in March.

The ship really can make a huge difference in the cruise experience. Had my first Carnival cruise been on the Triumph or Victory, I probably would never have sailed on Carnival again.

If you do go on the Escape, please post a review. I would love to know if you had a better experience by going on a different ship.

That's great to know. I think we will do that because we were really looking forward to the Escape.

The Escape is a brilliant ship. We did the 2 day Hamburg to Southampton and then two weeks a few months later in the Caribbean. So much choice in the different restaurants. I have only been on the Epic and Escape with NCL so cannot comment on the older boats.

We got given the drinks package and purchased a 12 day dining package which worked out a great price.

Do the Escape I don't think you will regret it.

Unfortunately we did cancel our Escape cruise but I'm wondering if we should give it a chance. The experience on the Sky was so awful that I'm afraid it will be similar on the Escape.

You may want to reconsider the Escape . We have been very loyal to Carnival for the past 8 years and have a steady decline in the overall quality of their product. That being said we will be on the Vista in January. Back to the escape our May cruise with our 21 year old Grandson was Fantastic. The most friendly staff we have ever had on any line. Excellent service and food in the MDR. Specialty restaurants were outstanding

Something fishy about ME??? Different tales to say? PLEASE explain!! I've been on here for years for 700 + messages. I'd like to hear what you have to say!

On a cruise, then to Disney World, then 1st day of school. Been a little busy to get back on here.

It's a valid review...what gives??

It's a valid negative review, and some people just can't handle that. ;)

Personally, I appreciate your review! I love NCL but have never been on this shop or done as short of a cruise. I had been thinking to try a long weekend getaway (and I may still) but I will know to research it more before booking and not to expect the Sky to be like the Epic, Escape or other NCL ships that I'm used to. Thanks for the honest review and I hope you'll give the Escape a chance because it's great for kids and I bet you'll like it

Egads! You can keep the singing and dancing waiters on Carnival. I don't need the waiter to be my best friend or my entertainment. Just want them to, er, be my waiter.

I so agree! I like Carnival and Royal, but I don't enjoy the wait staff having to sing and dance/entertain. I was just on NCL Getaway (loved this ship by the way) and commented to my friend that one of the things I most enjoyed is the dining experience. The wait staff did their job and there was no nonsense involved. To each their own!

We were on the pearl in 2014 and the waiters sang and whipped around their napkins. Have they stopped doing this. For the record I don't like it but I just assumed it was something all the cruise lines did.

I would try the Escape, it can only get better right.

I have been on the Pearl and Star. Liked them both, but not great. Didn't think the food was all that great either but I didn't starve. I figure I didn't have to cook it so all is good!

We were on the pearl in 2014 and the waiters sang and whipped around their napkins. Have they stopped doing this. For the record I don't like it but I just assumed it was something all the cruise lines did.

Was it's someone's birthday? I can't think of another reason why the waiters would be singing. The "production" thing that is found on Carnival is not found on NCL

Was it's someone's birthday? I can't think of another reason why the waiters would be singing. The "production" thing that is found on Carnival is not found on NCL

No no ones birthday. they sang and paraded through the mdr. I believe it was more then one night also.

Thanks for your review. We are going on our first NCL cruise in November. I am really hoping the bad food is just on Sky and not other boats as well :D

My first cruise, in 1989 on Carnival Tropicale had the WORST food I had ever had. And I was young then and didn't love gourmet food. I was so afraid to go on another Carnival cruise and waited quite a long time to try them again. I was pleasantly surprised that the food was on my second Carnival cruise. My favorite food cruise was probably Costa though as it is an Italian line and they had the freshest food.

Hopefully you will get good food on your next cruise!!

You may want to reconsider the Escape . We have been very loyal to Carnival for the past 8 years and have a steady decline in the overall quality of their product. That being said we will be on the Vista in January. Back to the escape our May cruise with our 21 year old Grandson was Fantastic. The most friendly staff we have ever had on any line. Excellent service and food in the MDR. Specialty restaurants were outstanding

Interesting. I think we are going to give NCL another chance!

Personally, I appreciate your review! I love NCL but have never been on this shop or done as short of a cruise. I had been thinking to try a long weekend getaway (and I may still) but I will know to research it more before booking and not to expect the Sky to be like the Epic, Escape or other NCL ships that I'm used to. Thanks for the honest review and I hope you'll give the Escape a chance because it's great for kids and I bet you'll like it

Thank you. I did read a lot of reviews on the Sky prior to booking. The major cons consistently noted was that it was a party boat, lots of drinkers etc...that did not bother DH & I at all.

For us it was the food!! It was really horrible (except for breakfast). I don't recall ever reading the food was horrible in any reviews (we are not food snobs in any way but we like tasty edible food lol). We barely ate. I told DH that this was probably the 1st cruise where we lost weight.

Yes! Thank you....you hit the nail on the head :rolleyes:

Times a million!

Stuff like this turns folks away from Cruise Critic. Say something negative and you are a troll, a beast or a monster. Say something positive and the attacks come from the "Frank Del Rio is Satan, don't spend money on NCL and we will intrude on every thread to condemn you for your patronage ". Ugh.Cant win.

Thank you for the review. Have not been on Escape, but have never had a bad meal on the Away class ships. Not a one.

Living in South Florida, we regularly jumped on the SKY for a 3 day weekend getaway. The food was never superb, but it wasn't horrible either. Haven't been on her for a while, but one of my colleagues went on a 4 day Sky trip recently and had much the same impression as what was stated in the review. Things seem to have gone down hill right around the time that the trips became "all inclusive."

With that said, I would still give Norwegian a second chance as, what was described is not representative of some of the newer ships. Leaving on Sunday on our 4th trip on the Getaway and each of the past three trips has been equally enjoyable. I think that the buffet is one of the best at sea (for non-luxury brands) and we have cruised with RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.

My husband and myself have sailed Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL. Just before the Sky went free UBP for everyone, we took my sister on a 4 day cruise on the Sky. We chose this cruise because it would have been her introduction to cruising.

We loved it! We were in a suite and our concierge and butler were great. We had free drinks and free specialty dining. We ate at the buffet, main dining rooms and speciality restaurants. We thought the food overall was very good (and my husband is a bit of a food snob) Staff was wonderful! Entertainment was great!

Because of our experience on the Sky, my sister and I sailed on the Gem November 2015. It was the first sailing after dry dock. Again, we were in a suite but not Haven. We had a good time in spite of NCL not because of it. The ship was not ready to sail with public areas not open and our suite was an embarrassment to the NCL line. Pool slide was down for the entire cruise. Spa was fantastic. The butler was great but the concierge was non existent.

The food in the main dining rooms was far better than the speciality restaurants (with the exception of the Italian restaurant) Staff was wonderful, again.

There were many other problems but this thread is not about the Gem so I will not elaborate.

So when it came time to book another cruise, my sister wanted to try a large ship. So, who do we choose? NCL of course!

We will try once more on the Getaway this November in a Haven suite.

I researched several different cruise lines before booking and decided that NCL still offers what we are looking for - on paper at least.

I did comment to my husband that I thought the Sky would become a party boat once they offered the UBP to everyone - especially since it sails out of Miami. I am sorry to hear that it has gone downhill since this happened.

Perhaps the OP will be happier on a newer, larger NCL ship. We are willing to give them one more try.

Times a million!

Stuff like this turns folks away from Cruise Critic. Say something negative and you are a troll, a beast or a monster. Say something positive and the attacks come from the "Frank Del Rio is Satan, don't spend money on NCL and we will intrude on every thread to condemn you for your patronage ". Ugh.Cant win.

Thank you for the review. Have not been on Escape, but have never had a bad meal on the Away class ships. Not a one.

Hang in there OP, your opinion is appreciated good, bad or indifferent. I'm not an NCL cheerleader by any stretch but have had good meals on NCL so you just might have been unlucky this week.

I once ate in LeBistro on the Breakaway and had Lamb Chops which were the most delicious I've had in years. Fast forward 12 months and I sent 3 lamb chop dishes back because they were all fatty and tough.

I've also had good meals in the MDR as well.

Edited by bjlaac

For us it was the food!! It was really horrible (except for breakfast). I don't recall ever reading the food was horrible in any reviews (we are not food snobs in any way but we like tasty edible food lol). We barely ate. I told DH that this was probably the 1st cruise where we lost weight.

Isn't that the worst when you don't even want to eat cuz the food is so bad! On my Carnival Tropicale cruise I literally stopped eating. Nothing looked appetizing. I lived on bread and oranges LOL.

Isn't that the worst when you don't even want to eat cuz the food is so bad! On my Carnival Tropicale cruise I literally stopped eating. Nothing looked appetizing. I lived on bread and oranges LOL.

Our only Carnival experience was like that. We couldn't wait for port days so that we get off the ship and eat!

Having amazing food is such a big part of the experience for my family. It would stink to get aboard and have those hopes of great meals dashed.

We will try once more on the Getaway this November in a Haven suite. Quote

You will not be disappointed. Love Getaway and her many terrific restaurants. I could also eat eat every dinner in The Haven and be happy.

Edited by Annmeat

Everyone will have a different experience on any ship. We will be on the Sky for 4 days in November then will be on the Escape for 7. From reading previous reviews I don't expect the Sky to be in the same league as the previous Ships I have been on.

I would give NCL another try.

That's great to know. I think we will do that because we were really looking forward to the Escape.

I really think you will like the Escape really anymore it is not so much the cruise lines but the ships itself if you went back on the fantasy with Carnival you would be saying the same thing.

I saw you have been doing the newer ships on Carnival the Breeze is awesome but not comparable to the fantasy.

in the last year we have done the Escape and the Getaway which we like better but cant tell you why lol the food is very good and every time I was blown away with the buffet it is very good and I don't even like buffets lol

and 3 day cruises out of Miami are more focus on the drinking then the food.

so if you do a newer ship and still don't like it at least you can compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges

NCL has become one of my top cruise lines which I never thought I would say just because I love getting to know my waiter but it is nice just to eat when I want to eat and not feel rushed to get to dinner coming from shore.