Equinox August Reviews!

cheeseheads4ever

Wow! Just read the August reviews on Equinox and i think it was a Mediterranean cruise. I was shocked by the horrible reviews on Cruise Critic. Ive never seen so many negative reviews.

Is Equinox really that bad?or are the cruisers that picky. HMM? Anyone else catch that?

After your post, I had to go and read the reviews. I was on the same charter sailing as the two reviewers and personally had a great cruise on the Equinox.

However, I didn't have a room that smelled like cigarettes but have experienced that kind of problem at hotels and know how difficult/unpleasant it can be. Getting rid of that type of smell from a room is not easy either. The other reviews complaint regarding the location near the anchor/tow ropes, well that's particular to the cabin's location and can happen with any cruise ship/line. I didn't put too much thought in the room not being cleaned as the post is missing when the cabin was unoccupied (late afternoon, was a "Do not Disturb Sign" put out earlier, etc) and this does happen at hotels as well.

There's no doubt that the consumption of alcohol is higher on this cruise as it is an all adult cruise with more afternoon and nightlife activities than on a normal cruise so the bartenders/sommeliers/servers can be overworked. Their pay is also higher than average with the included 18% gratuity per drink. Just to give you an example. there are four additional bars set up near the pool during dancing/club nights out on the pool deck to accommodate the crowds.

It was a great cruise for me with a clean ship, lots of activities (charter sponsored), and overall good food. But I also wasn't hounded like others were on the cruise to order alcoholic drinks at the Oceanview Cafe, constant calls to book Speciality restaurants in my room, or had a particularly unpleasant experience with a crewmember where ship's officers had to intervene/investigate and have the crew member removed from the ship.

I think with every review, you have to pick and choose what to believe in reviews and whether the problem(s) would have affected you personally if it were to happen to you.

Edited by absolutboy20

Two things also to keep in mind:

1. I've read somewhere that only 5% to 8% of any cruise passenger list has people on Cruise Critic. If you ask the rest of the 90% of that cruise who are NOT on CC you might get different reviews. I even asked random people on a cruise once if they'd ever HEARD of Cruise Critic and they had no idea, thought it was people who were travel agents who wrote about cruises or something.

2. Complainers tend to write about their experiences more than those who had a good time. At least that's been my observation. Particularly on a message board where they might garner some sympathy.

For what it's worth, we've been on Equinox 4 times and in two months we're sailing on her again and we have always had a great cruise. Can't wait.

We were on Equinox this past April (eastbound TA), and the subsequent Med. cruise.

We didn't experience any of negative impact that the reviewers posted. But I'll clarify that remark with this. We rarely pay attention to any negative aspects of a cruise...and we've been sailing with Celebrity since 1999. Yes, there have been some things that we may not have liked. But on the whole, most cruises have been great. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two things also to keep in mind:

1. I've read somewhere that only 5% to 8% of any cruise passenger list has people on Cruise Critic. If you ask the rest of the 90% of that cruise who are NOT on CC you might get different reviews. I even asked random people on a cruise once if they'd ever HEARD of Cruise Critic and they had no idea, thought it was people who were travel agents who wrote about cruises or something.

2. Complainers tend to write about their experiences more than those who had a good time. At least that's been my observation. Particularly on a message board where they might garner some sympathy.

For what it's worth, we've been on Equinox 4 times and in two months we're sailing on her again and we have always had a great cruise. Can't wait.

If complainers tend to write about their experiences more than people who had a good time, how do you explain the 87% approval rating? Everybody has their own expectations and have every right to express them without being chastised for them.

We were on thecEquinox this past March and had a wonderful cruise. The ship and staff were great!

We did a 9 day Med cruise in August, it was very good as well. I can never understand people complaining about food quality on Celebrity, do they eat at 5 star restaurants each evening whilst not cruising? Just like on TripAdvisor I tend to discount reviewers who have only posted one review and focus on those who have posted several. Bottom line, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have yet to have a bad experience on a Celebrity ship.

After more than 50 cruises I am no longer surprised by the number of people on board who I think cruise to complain. It is sad to think you can be so miserable at sea and wonder what these people are like on land. Sure there are legitimate issues but I am convinced not even a free cruise would satisfy some. That said there is a definite increase in nickel and dining by the cruise lines which I think make it difficult for some, self included, to transition from the cruises of yesteryear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, one speaks as one finds. We did a 2 x 7 day Med B2B last year on Equinox. We had multiple issues, mostly small but very aggravating on an accumulative basis -- especially having to endure daily (very) long lines at GS. A long talk with the Head of GS did help. I understood that staff training had been challenging with some one off incidents such as power failure at embarkation. However, the experience was such that DH is very leery of sailing Equinox again. Happily, we have just had a very enjoyable cruise on Connie. I agree that reading reviews one has to factor in what issues may have been at play and how they would impact you.

We sailed on Equinox in early July in the med and loved it. I'd happily sail on Eq again. Yes, demographics skewed a little younger and a little more european, and there were a lot of drink packages (with some drink ingredients like mint running out by weds/thurs), but nothing that would "ruin" my vacation.

A day on X beats a day at the office hands down, any day of the week in my book!

WAIT! The bad reviews are from a CHARTER?

Yes, at least a couple of them......I take them with a grain of salt....the vast majority of reviews are still good. I'll form my own opinion in under 7 weeks!!! Unless something has VASTLY changed with Celebrity in the last 5 months I expect to have a wonderful cruise!:)

Yes, at least a couple of them......I take them with a grain of salt....the vast majority of reviews are still good. I'll form my own opinion in under 7 weeks!!! Unless something has VASTLY changed with Celebrity in the last 5 months I expect to have a wonderful cruise!:)

Cant wait to read what ya'll think about the GastroBar!

We are booked on the Equinox for the 3rd time in 4 years.

OP, as Gracie said, put no stock into reviews from a charter group. Those sailings are vastly different.

Do a search for Celebrity Equinox reviews on the internet , most of the other available websites have 4-5 star reviews for recent cruises. I, like the previous poster, EW have been on two Equinox cruises and we are booked for two more. Love the ship, fantastic crew and the friendliest, most available officers.

Agree, I take the complaining reviews with a grain of salt. We've had issue but it didn't dampen our cruise. There are some that live their lives looking to complain. I have an ex daughter in law that complained no matter where we went. That was just the way she lived.

But if I had serious issues with my cabin that would be a bummer. I could ignore or go other places if the issues were elsewhere but I can't escape cabin issues.

Was on Equinox for 10 nights last December and it was fabulous.

enjoy

After your post, I had to go and read the reviews. I was on the same charter sailing as the two reviewers and personally had a great cruise on the Equinox.

I think with every review, you have to pick and choose what to believe in reviews and whether the problem(s) would have affected you personally if it were to happen to you.

Totally agree.

I had to go read the reviews because of this post too. Just my opinion, but they struck me as... well I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain. Wow, one someone thought quite highly of themself, and another struck me as someone with a persecution complex.

Maybe my outlook on life is just different. Why stress out and let small things ruin a good time. Like Elsa says "let it go."

I had to go read the reviews because of this post too. Just my opinion, but they struck me as... well I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain. Wow, one someone thought quite highly of themself, and another struck me as someone with a persecution complex.

Maybe my outlook on life is just different. Why stress out and let small things ruin a good time. Like Elsa says "let it go."

I also had read these reviews and had the same reaction as you. We're looking forward to sailing again on the EQ in November - our fourth sailing on the Equinox and our 12th on a Solstice class ship.

Wow! Just read the August reviews on Equinox and i think it was a Mediterranean cruise. I was shocked by the horrible reviews on Cruise Critic. Ive never seen so many negative reviews.

Is Equinox really that bad?or are the cruisers that picky. HMM? Anyone else catch that?

It is a very boring ship.