Norwegian Breakway to Bermuda vs. Bahamas

Eboogie

We're planning a cruise on the breakaway in Oct/Nov from NYC and we're trying to decide between the cruise to Bermuda or Bahamas. On our to do list is Jet Skiing and Dolphin Encounter and of course some beach time, anything involving sea life or wild life would be a plus. Not too concerned with restaurants and bars. Can anyone give us advice on which would be better for our needs or some recommendations for shore excursions.

I think Bermuda is a no brainer. The one to Bahamas stops in Port Canaveral doesn't it? Boring...

I really wanted to go on Breakaway over thanksgiving, but they are doing the Port Canaveral, Bahamas, etc itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. This is a no brainer. Bermuda over Bahamas any time. The Bahamas cruise may be the worst itinerary that NCL offers. Bermuda is incredible. Here is the link to the Bermuda port of call forum that will give you a bunch of good info for you to peruse.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

My first cruise was to the Bahamas when I was five, on the Norwegian Sunward II no less. It will always have a special place in my heart but this is a no brainer. I visited Bermuda when I was sixteen and it is still one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Counting down the days until I cruise back to Bermuda next month.

We have done the Bahamas route 4 times already, so was thrilled to schedule a cruise to Bermuda at the end of May, because I've heard nothing but great things about it. I've now learned that the Americas cup is going on at the same time at the dockyard, and it sounds like the island is going to be packed with participants and spectators, so I'll probably switch to the gem and Bahamas - so bummed!!!

While Bermuda is lovely, I think the Bahamas itinerary would give you more of what you are looking for - you can jet ski/beach it at GSC and do the dolphin encounter in Nassau. At Port Canaveral there are several options for seeing wildlife with several airboat adventures/alligator places to visit.

In Bermuda there are tons of beaches and you can snorkel in several places where you would see different fish. I don't believe I've ever seen a dolphin encounter excursion in Bermuda

virgin cruiser here but i did extensive research about bahamas/bermuda before booking and its 100% in favor of bermuda.

personally ive researched some jet skis since you mentioned and they were between 100 and 145 if memory recalls. of course thats just one provider.

dolphins cost way more than that and i remember a 3 person private session was 1100. much cheaper out there of course

We have done both itineraries a couple of times. Definitely Bermuda, there is no comparison. If you go to Bermuda I highly recommend Somerset Bridge Watersports to rent jet skis. They will pay for your taxi ride there and it's an easy bus ride back. There is a dolphin encounter right in Dockyard which is a little expensive but most encounters are. For a fun time try Fun Golf, a miniature golf course in Dockyard.

We have rented jet skis on GSC it was more of a tour than free riding. Good for first timers. GSC is skipped a lot.

Enjoy!

I have gone jet skiing in Bermuda and at Great Stirrup Cay, the jet skiing at GSC was much faster. There isn't much of a no wake zone. There was more to see jet skiing in Bermuda, they take you to a litte tiny island to swim and they take you to a shipwreck.

I have gone swimming with the dolphins in Bermuda, its right at the Dockyard, and you can book it on your own to save $$$.

We have done the Bahamas route 4 times already, so was thrilled to schedule a cruise to Bermuda at the end of May, because I've heard nothing but great things about it. I've now learned that the Americas cup is going on at the same time at the dockyard, and it sounds like the island is going to be packed with participants and spectators, so I'll probably switch to the gem and Bahamas - so bummed!!!

I love Bermuda, and staying a few days, the best!

I want to be in Bermuda during the Americas Cup, you will have a front row seat on the ship. Man what a blast that would be!

The Dolphine encounter at the Dockyard, just a 5 minute walk from the ship, looks to be a good time. I sit and watch the people play around with them. The Dockyard Museum and all is very underrated if you ask me, a good $12 spent, less if your a senior citizen.

I want to be in Bermuda during the Americas Cup, you will have a front row seat on the ship. Man what a blast that would be!

Me, too! Planning to be there (on the Breakaway) with extended family the first full week of June - can't wait! :)

To mjkacmom, if you want to check the schedule to avoid the activities, here is a link:

https://www.americascup.com/en/event-schedule.html

So jealous, That would be the greatest destination. Hope it works out for you!

Thanks! :) We booked 5 aft balcony cabins across the back of the ship - it would be great if we were facing the harbor but that's always a toss-up! Either way, looking forward to being right in the middle of the action. Tons of construction going on in Bermuda now to prepare the America's Cup Village. Here are some renderings:

29497311646_bc27f274e9_z.jpg

28906704944_97594f782a_z.jpg

The Bahama trip would not be horrible if you new the ship would actually go to GSC. We had two excursions planned for the private island that we figured would be the best part of the trip, but it was too windy so we missed it. Bermuda has so much to do that I am going back in a few weeks and will probably start planning another cruise there as soon as I get back.

Me, too! Planning to be there (on the Breakaway) with extended family the first full week of June - can't wait! :)

To mjkacmom, if you want to check the schedule to avoid the activities, here is a link:

https://www.americascup.com/en/event-schedule.html

I'm really concerned with the amount of people who will be there. Someone on another board, who cruises to Bermuda every June, advised me to cancel, because of difficulties getting around the island. I'm nervous about traffic, and waits for ferries and buses.

I'm really concerned with the amount of people who will be there. Someone on another board, who cruises to Bermuda every June, advised me to cancel, because of difficulties getting around the island. I'm nervous about traffic, and waits for ferries and buses.

There will definitely be alot more people in Bermuda than ever - so if you are not interested in the America's Cup races, probably makes sense to reschedule.

On the other hand, this is a world-class sporting event and although it won't be my normal, relaxing Bermuda (I go 2-3 times each year :)), I am looking forward to the energy and excitement of the event. Celebrity Cruises is marketing a special (expensive) 9-day cruise to the finals - and alot of cruise lines that don't normally visit Bermuda are making special trips. So I'm expecting a bit of a madhouse :)

I agree with the majority of posters here.

Bermuda is a great place. My DH and I have been to Bermuda 11 times,both cruises and resort vacations. We have been to Nassau,Bahamas twice.

I think that shows what islands we prefer.

We sailed on the Breakaway last year to Bermuda and we are repeating the cruise in a few weeks. The Breakaway is a fine ship,but what I like about it most is that it transports us to Bermuda!

I see that the OP said they were planning a cruise for October/November.

Just a note of caution.many places and activities may close in Bermuda at the end of October because it is the end of the high tourist season. While we have enjoyed Bermuda in December and February as well as the warmer months,the OP may be disappointed if activities such as jets skis and dolphin encounters

were not available at the time of their vacation.

I would check the various web sites for Bermuda tourism to check on availability of certain attractions during Oct/Nov.