Losing Money

Jamericannn

Hello All,

I am in a situation here and I need your advice.

My family (wife and 2 daughters) have never been on a cruise before but we always wanted to go on one. My wife and I never even had a honeymoon and we are married 5.5 years now. We were trying to prioritize before we think about those stuff. One priority was to get a house which we did for a year now. The house comes with a lot of expense but it is better than rent.

Anyway, this whole story is to say that I booked a cruise on Carnival Glory months in advance (4/2017) in order to get enough time to make payments so by the due date I can finish paying it off. Things happened which I won't even get into details making it hard for me to put anything towards the payments and with just 4.5 months left I am worried I won't be able to make it. My daughter would kill me because she is so excited. But.... if that's what happens then there is nothing I could really do about it.

I have been researching and some people say they got all their money back if they can't go on a cruise and some say they got cruisecash. Have any of you guys had to cancel a cruise? Did you get actual money back or just credit to use towards future cruise?

I am hoping not to cancel my cruise but if I am unable to pay it off by the deadline I am hoping I will get actual cash back for the amount paid.

how did you book, was it early saver?. if it was early saver, you can cancel for a 50 dollar fee. you will either get the money back or it is a credit for a future cruise

I book it with the earlier saver so I only had to pay $316. The total price was about $2,100. Four of us but one inside stateroom. I made $200 payment after that but when I checked on my account it is saying if I should cancel I will lose $316.

If you cancel before the final payment due date, you should be able to get all your money back unless you booked under some weird Carnival fare (like Early Saver) that has another cancellation policy.

Yes, I did book under the early saver because there was a deal where I only had to pay $316.

If the the cruise was booked using the Early Save rate and cancelled prior to the final payment date, there is a $50 per person fee that is never returned. The balance of any deposit paid is not returned in cash, it is held by Carnival in the form of a future cruise credit which may be used in the two years following cancellation. If not used by then it is lost. Any payment already made on top of the deposit will be returned in cash. If the cancellation occurs after the final payment date then the normal cancellation penalties apply before calculating the amount of the credit.

If the cruise was booked using any other rate, e.g. past guest, military, etc. (and assuming cancellation occurs prior to the final payment date) then there is no cancellation fee and the deposit and any other payment made is returned in cash.

Edited by old sole

If the the cruise was booked using the Early Save rate and cancelled prior to the final payment date, there is a $50 per person fee that is never returned. The balance of any deposit paid is not returned in cash, it is held by Carnival in the form of a future cruise credit which may be used in the two years following cancellation. If not used by then it is lost. If the cancellation occurs after the final payment date then the normal cancellation penalties apply before calculating the amount of the credit.

If the cruise was booked using any other rate, e.g. past guest, military, etc. (and assuming cancellation occurs prior to the final payment date) then there is no cancellation fee and the deposit and any other payment made is returned in cash.

So it seems like I will be in the category of losing at least $200 ($50) each person. The carnival agent I booked with is on vacation so I will speak with her when she gets back.

Thanks.

Just wanted to say so sorry that you are having to cancel your first cruise. Hopefully you will be able to cruise in the future.

Thanks Scott. Cool pic. It is not cancelled as yet. I am waiting until close to the due date to see where things are before I know if I have to cancel or not. I don't want to cancel early and then I either get a new job, win the lottery, or find some money. lol

I just want to say that it's refreshing to see someone recognize their limits and pull the plug on something they might not be able to do. Part of our problems as a country is people not being able to tell themselves no.

As an aside, would it be possible to look at a different cruise? Maybe one that is shorter and less expensive? You could transfer what you've already paid in. Best wishes and I hope things turn around for you so that you will be able to go on the cruise. :)

Hi, is there a way you could get a temp side job just to earn enough to payoff cruise and have spending money? Seems like you might be able to do that for the balance of around $1600 or so that you owe?

Also, if you expect a tax return and can file early enough then maybe you could count on that money for spending money at least? Or put towards another cruise booked further out?

I hate that this is the situation with your first cruise but maybe if you can perhaps move this cruise to something later in the year you would have more time. Call you travel person and see what your options are well before you need to make a quick decision as she/he may have a way to minimize potential loss and still have something to look forward to.

Good luck!

That is a major downside of booking ES you will lose $50pp for any changes or cancellations even if you cancel early. I cancelled one I had booked for Dec and lost $150. I knew the risk when I booked though.

I agree with seeing if you can pick up a side job to get the money together, maybe one of the temp places for a few weeks would be enough to pay it off. Then make sure the family knows this is their main Christmas present so no one is expecting a big Christmas too. That will give you time to get money together for hotels etc before the actual cruise date.

Edited by poobears

Did you take any sort of insurance at time of booking? Some insurances include coverage for losing a job. Not sure what your issue is but thought I saw something about that mentioned here. Worth looking in to your coverages either through insurance or if you booked with a credit card, you may be able to minimize your losses if you do have to cancel. good luck

Not to be a downer, but keep in mind there is your tips, some type of excursions, a picture or two and the kids begging for some type of little trinket or two. So besides your balance you have other expenses so knowing your limits in advance is a good thing. It is sad to see families take off on a trip and do without the whole time because the cash cow is dry.

Good luck on whatever you do.

We almost had to cancel our cruise this year because of a delayed high school graduation. It was so stressful but it worked out and we got to go. At the time I called carnival and I also was going to lose the deposit but I had insurance so I was going to try to move it later. If its possible moving it later might help with the money. I understand for my husband is retired and money Is very tight. I hope it works out for your family. Maybe a big tax refund will come your way! good luck....Did you also know that depending on your offer you may be able to watch if the prices drops and they will match it.

Once you call carnival make your decision. But we are cruising with my brother and his family he wanted to do a 5 day on the sunshine out of Charleston it was about 1400 just for two. Dh and I were looking at the valor earlier in the year for about 700. I told him with a senior in college and a hs senior it's better for us to pay off 700 so needless to say we are going on the valor and he is taking my advice. My point if you can go on maybe a 3/4 day do that it's less stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This happened to us once. I had booked through a TA fairly far in advance. When finances got tight, I called them to cancel, but they were able to help me find a shorter cruise and a cheaper cabin so that we were still able to cruise. This is the only time we have ever done an interior, and though we learned this is not the cabin type for us, we had a wonderful time on the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok. When I know for sure if I am canceling I will call them.

You should call them now, when you already have doubts. The longer you wait, the fewer your options. And better to be informed of your exact situation than to guess using scenarios and tips from people who don't know all the details.