Breakaway from new york - which airport

The_0neuk

all distances are about the same but LaGuardia and JFK really suck logistically and traffic wise unless you take mass transit (air train from JFK).

Newark is very easy and also easy to get to the city from. I would suggest that if all air pricing is close

I would disagree with the last post, Newark will not be a more convenient ride to the cruise pier than JFK. It is much farther and you will contend with incoming bridge or tunnel traffic which will not be fun. At least JFK has no bridge issues. You'll already be in NYC and can easily grab a yellow cab or Uber to the cruise pier.

I would disagree with the last post, Newark will not be a more convenient ride to the cruise pier than JFK. It is much farther and you will contend with incoming bridge or tunnel traffic which will not be fun. At least JFK has no bridge issues. You'll already be in NYC and can easily grab a yellow cab or Uber to the cruise pier.

Newark hotels much cheaper and easier to get to port. Breakaway goes in/out of NYC on Sundays - I've never hit any tunnel traffic early Sunday am.

The difference in distance is JFK is 9 miles farther away. JFK is 21 from the pier and Neward is 30 miles from the pier.

I have been to and from JFK from the city over 100 times and have never once not sat in traffic, 9 in the morning, noon, 5 in the afternoon 2 in the morning. JFK has the absolute worst access roads.

You can certainly take the air train to the LIRR or the Subway which is easy and relatively cheap but you can also do the same fro Newark which will cost about the same and is just as easy.

How come none of the above posters mentioned the cab FARES?

JFK to Manhattan is a FIXED cab fare - no matter where you want to go on Manhattan. the other two - from EWR and LGA are not fixed.

Manhattan has a line in the middle, top to bottom, let's say it's the 5th or 6th Ave. Traffic toward that Ave from East (i.e. JFK) is so heavy but once you hit that Ave, it gets easier going westward. Ditto for the other way.

We have gone from JFK into Manhattan and back to JFK many times, and we prefer the Yellow Cabs - more fun and we tip extra if the driver does an excellent job in the traffic (i.e. crazy driving and swearing, with patience - they add to the fun!).

We went to EWR once, stayed in hotel close to the airport/shopping mall, and took cab into Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The outward one was on a Sunday and it took a long time and the fare wasn't fixed and was more than from JFK. The return was a joke - we hailed a yellow cab and the driver had to use GPS and got lost when his GPS went out of range. I had to pull out a map that I had and directed him to the hotel in NJ. Crazy but fun. We had to ask him if he would be able to return to Manhattan - he said he'd find the way somehow.

So ... OP ... look at the airfares into JFK, EWR, LGA, and decide .... hotel, cabs, etc.

ENJOY!!

Edited by bluesea777

How come none of the above posters mentioned the cab FARES?

JFK to Manhattan is a FIXED cab fare - no matter where you want to go on Manhattan. the other two - from EWR and LGA are not fixed.

Manhattan has a line in the middle, top to bottom, let's say it's the 5th or 6th Ave. Traffic toward that Ave from East (i.e. JFK) is so heavy but once you hit that Ave, it gets easier going westward. Ditto for the other way.

We have gone from JFK into Manhattan and back to JFK many times, and we prefer the Yellow Cabs - more fun and we tip extra if the driver does an excellent job in the traffic (i.e. crazy driving and swearing, with patience - they add to the fun!).

We went to EWR once, stayed in hotel close to the airport/shopping mall, and took cab into Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The outward one was on a Sunday and it took a long time and the fare wasn't fixed and was more than from JFK. The return was a joke - we hailed a yellow cab and the driver had to use GPS and got lost when his GPS went out of range. I had to pull out a map that I had and directed him to the hotel in NJ. Crazy but fun. We had to ask him if he would be able to return to Manhattan - he said he'd find the way somehow.

So ... OP ... look at the airfares into JFK, EWR, LGA, and decide .... hotel, cabs, etc.

ENJOY!!

I wouldn't suggest a cab to and from NJ to NYC - who does that? Car service or uber.

I would fly in to Newark and stay in Jersey City. But it depends on if you want to go in to NYC the night before your cruise and if you have been to NYC before.

If you have and just want to relax the night before your cruise the I would suggest staying in jersey city. Perhaps here:

https://jerseycity.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

There are a few hotels near the the PATH stations in Jersey city (Pavonia newport and exchange place). Check the price via hotwire.

By staying in Jersey City, you get the NYC skyline at night rather then staying in NYC and looking out over either an alley way or even worse, back at Jersey.

Next morning take the PATH train in to 33rd Street (try to avoid RUSH hour which is just 7:00AM - 9:00AM) as it's really packed and then grab a cab from there. The Exchange place station is located right outside the hotel. Cost for the Path train is $2.75 one way and machine are available at the station which takes both cash (issues change too) and credit cards. The journey via PATH should take around 23 minutes from start to finish.

I do not suggest taking a cab from any hotel in Jersey city to the cruise terminal as traffic will suck going through the Holland and Lincoln tunnels. Traffic always sucks.

PATH directions: From Exchange place take the hoboken bound Path train and then at the 1st stop (Pavonia newport) get out and take the next train at the same platform which should be the 33rd street train. Trains are labeled where they are going to on the side.

If staying near Pavonia/Newport, Use the handicapped door if you have luggage, and follow the elevator signs to the track. If staying near Exchange place there is just the escalator to the platform.

Edited by Cwipes

PATH is suspended on weekends to 33rd for signal improvements. Only WTC is available or I would do the same. I will be taking NJT in to Penn and then a cab to the pier in October. Cab fare is bad from NJ they don't want the fare anyway because they cannot get a return fare. Car service is $70-100 each way. So we are taking NJ Transit train for about $50 each way for 3 of us from Rahway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is major construction/ renovation at LAG .I would eliminate that airport.

Going from JFK into NYC requires a drive through the Midtown Tunnel or over the Queensborough (59th Street ) Bridge.

There are a number of hotels near JFK,but you will be outside of the City in an area that is mostly residential.

If you want to tour in NYC, it is better to stay in a hotel in the City,somewhere near Pier 88,where NCL ships sail from.

The same would be for EWR. Hotels may be reasonable near that airport,but you will be in New Jersey.

Again,if you want to tour NYC,then a hotel in the City would would be the place to stay.

Either airport requires you to take some kind of public transport or car service to get to the pier.

We lived in NJ for over 30 years and traveled to/from there to EWR & JFK more times than I care to mention. My suggestions:

1) Traveling to/from JFK can be a nightmare. It can also be as smooth as glass. Last time we traveled out of JFK it took over 2 hours to get there from midtown Manhattan via yellow cab. IMHO I would avoid JFK.

2) I've never traveled to/from LGA at all so I have no opinion on that airport.

3) Newark Liberty (EWR) has an airport rail station that's served by NJ Transit and Amtrak trains and is easily accessible via monorail from all the terminals. It's a 20 minute train ride from the EWR Rail station to NYC Penn Station. From Penn is a 15-20 minute cab ride to the dock. Easy peasy.

4) There are advantages/disadvantages to wherever you decide to stay hotel-wise. Jersey City (JC) is MUCH cheaper than NYC or Newark airport but you then have to get from JC to the dock. I would stay at a hotel near EWR then take a cab the next day to NEWARK Penn Station or Secaucus rail station and then take the train into NY Penn and take another cab to the dock. NOTE: some EWR hotels have free shuttles that run to the airport and/or Newark Penn station. Choose your hotel accordingly.

My 2 cents.

Tom K.

We lived in NJ for over 30 years and traveled to/from there to EWR & JFK more times than I care to mention. My suggestions:

1) Traveling to/from JFK can be a nightmare. It can also be as smooth as glass. Last time we traveled out of JFK it took over 2 hours to get there from midtown Manhattan via yellow cab. IMHO I would avoid JFK.

2) I've never traveled to/from LGA at all so I have no opinion on that airport.

3) Newark Liberty (EWR) has an airport rail station that's served by NJ Transit and Amtrak trains and is easily accessible via monorail from all the terminals. It's a 20 minute train ride from the EWR Rail station to NYC Penn Station. From Penn is a 15-20 minute cab ride to the dock. Easy peasy.

4) There are advantages/disadvantages to wherever you decide to stay hotel-wise. Jersey City (JC) is MUCH cheaper than NYC or Newark airport but you then have to get from JC to the dock. I would stay at a hotel near EWR then take a cab the next day to NEWARK Penn Station or Secaucus rail station and then take the train into NY Penn and take another cab to the dock. NOTE: some EWR hotels have free shuttles that run to the airport and/or Newark Penn station. Choose your hotel accordingly.

My 2 cents.

Tom K.

Jersey city waterfront hotels are probably pricier than newark, but you can take public transportation from the area into NYC, plus have gorgeous views.

One thing to keep in mind is, if you take the advice of those recommending public transport, it's not too easy to manage with two weeks worth of stuff in your suitcase(s). Whereas a car service or taxi will make life easier.

Plus, much faster to take a car service on a Sunday morning, fewer public transportation options running (opposite of weekly rush hour).

One thing to keep in mind is, if you take the advice of those recommending public transport, it's not too easy to manage with two weeks worth of stuff in your suitcase(s). Whereas a car service or taxi will make life easier.

True it's not all that easy but it's possible. I travel by public transportation. Fly into either JFK or LGA. Take the airport bus to grand central station then taxi to pier. Short walk to grand ctrl but you can flag down a cab where they let you off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I agree 100% navigating on public mass transportation can be a nightmare, even with one large suitcase and a backpack. I would use a car service.

~ L P

I agree. And since the OP was interested on a hotel near the port, I guess convenience is crucial rather than the cost.