CRAZY price drops on NCL Escape

Your "proclamation" of first and last is short sighted and shooting yourself in the foot. It happens on ALL the cruise lines. Your name calling is "interesting". Prices should stay the same, because you booked ahead? Supply and demand will always trump. Some sailings haven't sold- rates drop to sell space.

You've had your booking well in place, confirmed at a price you thought was fine. My late bookings are my preference, but I have to be fully accepting of NOT going anywhere. I am extremely flexible, many people are not- with their schedules. There is always going to be someone paying less, alternatively- also more. I'll assume you are ok with the rates you book?

Not shooting myself in the foot. There are plenty of other options out here that others are pretty clearly taking advantage of and which I will in the future as well.

I don't really know what you're going on about as I flat out said I know the deal so of course I was fine with the pricing at the time. But as I also said, I've never seen a 40% drop in pricing this far out.

I stand by my "name calling." Hes a big boy making 30 million a year or something close to it. He is fine with my opinion of him and he's laughing at all of us on his way to the bank. He'll be out soon anyway.

OTOH, we are not seeing the same degree of discounts from Carnival, Royal or any of the other cruise lines. Is it because ...
Maybe a little of both, and, others - several already offered their responses ;) LOL, no need to repeat again. Look at the Upsell comments popping up also, IMO, a good indicator - nothing definitive, not until we see Q3's results in early November - maybe Q4 since those "upbeat" analysts seemed to know best on the bullish outcome. The street apparently continued to disagree and prices on a nose dive.

Who isn't recruiting and expanding its customer base these days in the industry - maybe that alone isn't enough to offset the "handful" of annoyed CC'ers with the "minor" changes. Funny thing is that, word of mouth, can be very influential and it can spread around - like polls, it can be deceiving.

We just reject the notion that being captive audience meant that we have no choices onboard (or fewer/limited) - and, there are numerous ways of getting that message across, loud & clear - and also subtle & discrete. Our Fall vacation plan this year is in place and we can cancel, almost up to the last minute without penalty - a true 2 BR suite for our stay, in luxury for 5 of us (no need for a concierge or a butler :D - despite its relative size, and, it's much bigger, no balcony ... north of the U.S. border, given the purchasing power of the mightly dollars.) Whereas, I supposed, if the extended family members wanted to - we could change to Plan C and sail on one of these last minute bargain, still plenty of time before the "deadline". For the time being, however, they can save on 2 boxes of Godiva, wines and 3 course Platinum dining ... and laundry offers on us - good luck in the hunt for newbies.

It would a surprise, won't it ?? - except that let's see who's really going to have a good laugh ... foot-in-the-mouth.

Edited by mking8288

It's not just the competition in the Caribbean, there is the Zika issue as well.

yes, I think that's playing a major role. Plus Zika is also in Miami. Attracted less tourism and will make our pricing leaving from NY even higher😣

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OTOH, we are not seeing the same degree of discounts from Carnival, Royal or any of the other cruise lines. Is it because the other lines are trying to hold the line on last minute discounting, or cruisers are staying away from NCL as customer are trying to send a message on the cut back that's happening at NCL.
I'm voting for the or option . :D Regardless , these price drops are very large . So much for the no more last minute deep discounting . Hah !

The price drops are BX generally and do not qualify for UBP /SDP perks, this is non beneficial to those who do utilise the UBP as drinks are expensive

Good point . Many would be happier to pay a lower price without the "free" drink plan .

The price drops are BX generally and do not qualify for UBP /SDP perks, this is non beneficial to those who do utilise the UBP as drinks are expensive

You are correct! Had my TA check this out and was told we would loose our UDP and UBP if we took the lower rate. If you look at it comparing a BX to another B_, the price is $600/person more. So, what do you want, need or really want to pay. They are not giving you anything for free.

I just booked the 9/17 sailing on Escape. $399 for balcony, and going solo. UNREAL!!! :D

I just priced that out...including taxes AND pre-paying the gratuities, on their BX rate for ONE person...that's 624.01!! :eek:

I wanna go!! :D

But I am chained to my desk at work :mad: :p

How close to sailing are you no longer eligible to get the perks when booking? I have an H5 bookes on Escape for next July just my dh and me for my 50th. Im wondering when I get close to final payment if I should cancel if I still like the perks if there are lots of Havens available on decks 17-18. What do you think? I would only do this if there were many available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had my eye on the Escape Sept. 17 sailing for a month now. From what I kept seeing, the fares for the Sept 3-10 sailing kept dropping every week up to the sailing, and the pattern followed for the 10-17 sailing. In anticipation of that pattern, I booked a flight from PHL to MIA a week ago. Lo and behold, the price of a balcony with the 2 perk incentive plummeted over $400 yesterday for the dates I wanted and I pounced on it.

I realize one need a bit of flexibility to do all that, but if you do, it's an opportunity for a great deal.

All on me' date=' cry me a river, I know but honestly, they should at least move me to a better location in the spirit of good faith. They have $800 more from us. Move me to a cabin that is $50 more pp.

[/quote']

Sometimes you can call and pay a very reasonable price for an upgrade; you may be able to upsell to another category at a small cost, and you are getting that category at the same price someone booking now is getting. If you had bought that same cabin when you originally booked it might have been 100% higher.

I think NCL's new position is that discounting happens when necessary to maintain occupancy after final payment is due, but the people taking the last minute fares are not getting as many of the free perks. They also must pay for the entire cruise fare all at once (they are past final payment so can't put a deposit down and pay it off later), need to arrange last minute air travel, etc.

The flaw in their thinking is that for people like us, who are perfectly happy dining in the MDR and paying for a drink a day out of pocket, the perks are not that important. So if we get a price that includes dining and drinking and free Internet (which isn't worth the price of $0 on NCL yet), and then see that price drop we feel cheated. We are not valuing 7 days of drinks at $1,500 or whatever silly number they put on it at NCL. We know the Internet minutes, even free, may cause us to jump overboard in frustration.

I'm new to NCL, but not to cruising so I understand the whole after final payment deal.

However, I have never, ever, never, ever, had a cruise price go down by 40+ percent, especially more than 60 days out. In the last couple of weeks before a cruise, I'm sure they blue light special the cabins to someone to sail full but, never have I seen this.

My cabin is now $400 less pp and it was booked as a BX. For what I paid, I could have chosen my cabin--not at the time, but now. Also, would never have taken the "promos" since only one of us drinks.

All on me, cry me a river, I know but honestly, they should at least move me to a better location in the spirit of good faith. They have $800 more from us. Move me to a cabin that is $50 more pp.

I will always have a great time on a cruise but if they don't do something with this, it will be the first and last time I go NCL. I think this CEO is a *******.

have you called about an upgrade? i booked an inside guarantee and moved to a balcony for no charge when the price dropped. I have heard sometimes they give OBC too

How close to sailing are you no longer eligible to get the perks when booking? I have an H5 bookes on Escape for next July just my dh and me for my 50th. Im wondering when I get close to final payment if I should cancel if I still like the perks if there are lots of Havens available on decks 17-18. What do you think? I would only do this if there were many available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There aren't likely to be multiple discounts in July. High season, and getting high prices. IF there are any discounts, they are going to be way past final payment.

The drops- over many years- that I have been snagging them is usually Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. outside of holiday weeks. I've been picking these up for years- at least 2 late booked cruises/year, in this time frame.

Edited by Budget Queen

There aren't likely to be multiple discounts in July. High season, and getting high prices. IF there are any discounts, they are going to be way past final payment.

The drops- over many years- that I have been snagging them is usually Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. outside of holiday weeks. I've been picking these up for years- at least 2 late booked cruises/year, in this time frame.

Thanks! My dh can only travel when school is out (I can travel anytime). I told him to just take the time without pay it would be SOOO much less but he won't do it.

Oh well. Thank you though for answering me I appreciate it.

yup.....only the GTY rates are down which do not include any perks. They are dropping prices specifically in a way to draw customers who may not care about beverage or dining packages.

yup.....only the GTY rates are down which do not include any perks. They are dropping prices specifically in a way to draw customers who may not care about beverage or dining packages.

The cheapest prices are for the no perks rooms but on my sailing a solo balcony room with perks went from 1199 last week to 499 today. Doh!

You can do a 7-day cruise with a $299 SINGLE rate for a GTY Inside...$399 single rate for a GTY Balcony!

I cruise out of NYC, but honestly just buying a ticket to Miami would still make these cheaper than a lot of the sailings from up here.

Del Rio must be grump around the office this week with discounts like these...

For tomorrow, Saturday, 9/10, I booked a Single Inside GTY for $279+$130.51+$94.50 (Pre-Paid Gratuities) for a total of $504.01. For payment I used two FCCs of $250 each (one of which was free with a Buy1/Get 1 Free on my last cruise), so I only had to pay $4.01 out of pocket for the 7 day cruise. How could I possibly stay home?

I dare them to drop the price of the Getaway on 9/18 next week and offer me another Buy 1/Get 1 Free FCC. I'll jump from one ship to the other 24 hours after returning and go out another 7 days.