Security on Celebrity Eclipse

bearsden9

The only way to avoid all this security is to stay home. I am not a recluse and love to travel, so if being wanded and patted down is the only way I can travel, so be it. A couple of years ago, leaving Italy, I got the pat down three times, while my husband walked free with a smile on his face. I never complained or took it personal. It is the price we pay enrich our lives with travel...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only way to avoid all this security is to stay home. I am not a recluse and love to travel, so if being wanded and patted down is the only way I can travel, so be it. A couple of years ago, leaving Italy, I got the pat down three times, while my husband walked free with a smile on his face. I never complained or took it personal. It is the price we pay enrich our lives with travel...

Good day,

While I am one of the biggest supporters of security the one issue I find is that the "same" staff member did the pat downs and that others complained. To me this is a pattern and should at least be brought to the attention of those in charge. Maybe someone just needs some retraining or there could be something else

My thought is that it might've been the same crew member each time as they were the only female security officer on at the time. That would make sense - assuming it was a female officer. If it wasn't, well that's a different issue...

Love your pragmatic approach -- most of the folks I know who've had joint replacement surgery have the same outlook about traveling. However, with much of the population approaching the age where the "factory original" parts are wearing out -- wouldn't it be nice if someone could develop a less time consuming and intrusive method of security checks? The technology must be out there, somewhere....:cool:

OP I feel your pain. When flying out of Miami after my last cruise the body scanner saw something in the groin area and I had that area patted down. It was embarrassing but she was very professional. I then felt much safer boarding the plane, thinking that if they are screening someone like me so carefully, they are doing a good job.

Yesterday when entering the 9/11 memorial museum at Ground Zero I went through a body scanner and they saw something in my left pocket area - the screener asked if I had anything in my left pocket - I checked and then said no. He said okay go through. Was happy not to be patted down but did not feel so secure being there on the 15th anniversary weekend after they let me through. The museum is an amazing experience though!!

I recently cruised on the Eclipse (the Baltic cruise just before the Norway one) 12 weeks after a knee replacement. As I had suspected, being new to the world of "bionic" knees, I too set off the security alarm every time I returned to the ship. Although this did mean I had to step to one side to have the wand waved over me, I must say I was treated with kindness and respect by the staff members doing so. In fact the only time they laid a hand on me was to offer me a hand to help me walk.

As a paying passenger, I would expect anyone who sets off security devices to undergo whatever security procedures are necessary to assure we are protected from anyone suspected of possibly endangering other passengers (regardless of physical outwardly appearance).

Your cooperation is expected.

Really.

If you are going through a security check point and you set off an alarm, you should be thoroughly searched.

My wife has arthritis and as a result 2 replacement knees.

Each time we came on to the ship she was subjected to a pat down search by the same member of staff.

She found this discriminating and humiliating as she is very shy.

While we appreciate the need for security it was patently obvious that she was not a threat to the security of the ship.

Other passengers that we spoke to found the same problem.

As we had a drink package and the cruise in question was the Norwegian fiords there was very little possibility of smuggling contraband onboard .

There needs to be a better way.

Better technology and/or better staff procedures could lead to a more sensitive and welcoming approach.

My husband has had 2 knee replacements as well.

We just handle it with humor.

At airports we make sure he goes in the big scanner rather than the "doorway". And if there is no option for that like on a ship I go first and when it goes off for him I tell them new knees. And I collect our stuff and he makes "friends!" 😉

We make a joke of it.

Life is short get over it or stay home.

The world is not like it used to be. Rather safe than sorry.

On our Alaska cruise on the Milennium our 8 year old granddaughter had her child's slingshot confiscated. She had just purchased it with her own money so you can imagine that it was confusing for her. The security agent was polite but firm, and we were able to get it back prior to disembarking.

She was doing her job. No sense making a fuss about it. I would much rather know, as one poster said, that they err on the side of caution. I appreciate when security takes that extra few seconds to look at your face vs. photo to be sure it is the same person. I couldn't care less if they need to pat me down for some reason. A few seconds and it is done. No biggie.

I sometimes wonder why other private boats are allowed to get so close to cruise ships, so count me in with those who say MORE IS BETTER, not less!

Each time we came on to the ship she was subjected to a pat down search by the same member of staff.

While we appreciate the need for security it was patently obvious that she was not a threat to the security of the ship.

As we had a drink package and the cruise in question was the Norwegian fiords there was very little possibility of smuggling contraband onboard .

Better technology and/or better staff procedures could lead to a more sensitive and welcoming approach.

I'm sorry that your wife is shy, but there isn't anything embarrassing about a pat down when you are entering a secure area. This is required to keep everyone safe. The guards are trained techniques to be professional. The fact that she was searched on previous days is irrelevant, someone could use that approach to smuggle contraband items onto the ship. The guard searches lots of people everyday, perhaps she did not remember the outcome of previous searches. Unless someone needs to start removing clothing I don't see the need for a private area.

I'm glad they search everyone in that situation to keep everyone safe.

I'd recommend in the future ask for guest relations and perhaps her conditions can be made known in private?

A few months ago on our b2b med, we found security to be a bit rough with the ladies, with one guy repeatedly yelling at my wife instead of asking politely, (name tag was covered by his jacket).

I ended up speaking with the concierge and received an apology. Afterward I noticed security's attitude has much improved.

Edited by LzyCruiser_NWA

2000 passengers more or less go ashore each day and have to be screened back on board. Simplest way is to treat the security screening as part of the trip and go along with it with a smile. If you don't you are the only one who is going to get grumpy

I agree. Thanks for the info on Sinapore, see you 10-8-16

Why does this person need retraining? Why would it be unusual for the same person to be assigned to a the security screening of returning passengers at each port? Just because the OP s wife and a few other guests didn't like getting a pat down doesn't mean the security person wasn't doing their job properly. And what else, exactly? There is a standard protocol, no different than at most airports (that don't have full body scanners) .

If you set off the metal detectors, the use of a wand will only isolate the areas where metal is located. It will still be followed by a pat down. I have no idea why anyone would find this as anything more than an inconvenience that only takes a few moments. However, if you're bashful, having the pat down done in a private area is an option. One that will take even more time than just submitting to the procedure.

Again. This is no different than going through security at an airport. No security person with 2 functioning neurons will read or believe any written or printed documents. They are too easy to fake. I have knee replacements. And since I know they will always set off the detectors, I warn security before going through. Pat downs are standard procedure and are always conducted in a professional manner and as quickly as possible. I'm sure there are a hundred things the security person would rather be doing than running her hands over an elderly, overweight, usually sweaty person such as myself. But it's her job. And I view it as my job not to make hers any more difficult than it already is.

Sorry the OP and his wife don't like it, but it's not going to change.

As usual Mom's are always right! :D I use a wheelchair when I travel....I have more hardware than bone in both of my legs and I have balance issues as well. When I fly, which is often, I tell security where and what kind the hardware is.... I also tell them I have balance issues and cannot be certain of ability to stand still with hands over-head and not wobble. I have always been treated with kindness and respect and TSA have, IMHO, gone out of their way to perform their duties without causing me embarrassment. What surprises me most is when I'm in an airport w/c pushed by an airport employee and they still wipe down the wheelchair! :D

On all of my cruises I've been treated the same way by cruise personnel, with kindness and respect. It is what it is and if you understand that it's nothing personal and awkward at best for all concerned, it makes it a little easier....but it's not going to get any better at least not in our lifetime.

Edited by Hydrokitty

As a paying passenger, I would expect anyone who sets off security devices to undergo whatever security procedures are necessary to assure we are protected from anyone suspected of possibly endangering other passengers (regardless of physical outwardly appearance).

Your cooperation is expected.

My simple response to this, is either cooperate, or find some other type of vacation. It's part of the daily grind. Now, they can pick up the shattered pieces of their life & move on.