Mariner:Storm Off Cabo & Acapulco Port Call

Saildude16

I'd be interested to hear from someone on board about:

1. Hurricane impact on the current voyage. TWC showed a Cat 1 hurricane off Baja on 9/6(Scheduled day to anchor at Cabo).

2. RSSC website shows the ship in Acapulco today. Was there a "keep safe" briefing prior to shore excursions?

The hurricane was a cat 1 and is now far inland as a low pressure system. Most ships will stay at sea and move ahead of the storm or deviate. I doubt they had and shore excursions.

We have been through the Drake Passage with winds over 100 MPH not fun but the Crystal Serenity handled it well. In that region storms form very fast almost out of nowhere. The passage can be a lake or very stormy.

I'd be interested to hear from someone on board about:

1. Hurricane impact on the current voyage. TWC showed a Cat 1 hurricane off Baja on 9/6(Scheduled day to anchor at Cabo).

2. RSSC website shows the ship in Acapulco today. Was there a "keep safe" briefing prior to shore excursions?

We are not on board, but do want to show the following quote which appeared on Cruise Critic this past Tuesday:

Seven Seas Mariner: Currently on a 28-night San Francisco to Montreal voyage, Seven Seas Mariner has cancelled a call at Cabo San Lucas today in favour of a sea day. The ship will then continue its voyage as planned and arrive in Acapulco on September 8.

In a statement the line said: "Due to Tropical Storm Newton, Seven Seas Mariner will forgo its scheduled call in Cabo San Lucas and will spend the day at sea. The revised navigational route takes the ship further out to sea, well away from the storm’s path."

My parents are currently aboard the Mariner, San Francisco to New York. Received an email from them today saying the Cabo stop was missed. They had five days of smooth sailing, travelling 175 miles West and avoiding the hurricane.

The Mariner did arrive in Acapulco today (09/08). Shore excursions were still taking place, as my folks indicated they were leaving the ship to go on their scheduled excursion. I did not receive a bad news call from Regent, so I will assume they made it back to the ship safely after the excursion.

My parents are currently aboard the Mariner, San Francisco to New York. Received an email from them today saying the Cabo stop was missed. They had five days of smooth sailing, travelling 175 miles West and avoiding the hurricane.

The Mariner did arrive in Acapulco today (09/08). Shore excursions were still taking place, as my folks indicated they were leaving the ship to go on their scheduled excursion. I did not receive a bad news call from Regent, so I will assume they made it back to the ship safely after the excursion.

Hope all went well. Have they said anything about guards on the buses, security at the venues, street safety, etc.?

My folks said they had a nice excursion in Acapulco. It was hot with high humidity, but no rain. They went to see the divers. Not sure what else was part of that excursion.

They did not have any issues and said they felt very safe and were never concerned about anything bad happening. Of course, they have cruised through the Gulf of Aden and that part of the world on the Voyager a few times, as well as excursions in countries like Egypt with their tour bus in between vehicles with gun turrets for protection.

I will be interested to hear about their excursions in Columbia.

Saw a show recently that indicated the government and rebels(FARC ?) had ended their 50 year conflict. When they got Escobar it appeared the drug cartel vs. government violence calmed down too.

Based upon recent Acapulco slaughters and kidnappings(BBC of 8/1, etc.) it's unfathomable why Regent stops there. We'll probably stay aboard in Jan. I've been twice already in Feb. 1967 and 5 years later, so won't miss that much.

We're on the Mariner now. We did skip Cabo. and had no major winds going around the storm. (We also had no additional onboard credit for skipping a stop.) The folks in Acapulco were glad to see us, and the ship's excursion was quite routine and nice. We are now going through the Panama Canal, and are currently on Gatun Lake heading for the Gatun Locks. It's hot, hot, hot, and the ship's AC can't quite keep up with it. Still, going through locks is fascinating.

Cartagena tomorrow. It Regent didn't cancel Acapulco, it's unlikely to cancel Cartagena.

Smooth sailing, everyone!

Joanandjoe, We liked Cartagena when we were there 3-4 years ago. Either the GM or Captain on the ship said that Cartagena is one of his favorite ports to sail into or out of. Please let us know what you think of it as this is the first time that I read about passengers having concerns about this port.

Surprised that the Mariner's air conditioning isn't keeping up with the heat. We are considering a Mariner cruise to the Amazon but would not want to be on a hot ship. Decisions, decisions......... :)

Good to hear that the people in Acapulco were happy to see you. Did you see much or any police presence?

Hope that the seas stay calm and the heat eases up a bit!

Jackie

Jackie,

We did the Amazon on Mariner and there were no significant issues with the air conditioning. Yes, it was warm in the stairwells/elevator lobbies (due to the constant opening of the doors to the deck and hot on the deck) but the rooms were very comfortable as were the normal hallways. Fear not. Some ports were a bit lacking but some were really enjoyable (one was probably the top ten of our travels) It is also interesting to see the "meeting of the waters". I probably would not take this trip again but it delivered all that was expected and was a fine voyage. Personally, (and we all have different perceptions and expectations) it was better than going around S. America. Do it - much better than just repeating another voyage.

Best,

John (and Jan)

Jackie,

We did the Amazon on Mariner and there were no significant issues with the air conditioning. Yes, it was warm in the stairwells/elevator lobbies (due to the constant opening of the doors to the deck and hot on the deck) but the rooms were very comfortable as were the normal hallways. Fear not. Some ports were a bit lacking but some were really enjoyable (one was probably the top ten of our travels) It is also interesting to see the "meeting of the waters". I probably would not take this trip again but it delivered all that was expected and was a fine voyage. Personally, (and we all have different perceptions and expectations) it was better than going around S. America. Do it - much better than just repeating another voyage.

Best,

John (and Jan)

John,

Thank you so much for your input.

Jackie

We were hoping that they would cancel, but it looks like they will go for it. We will have another sea day in port! LOL. I have checked the temperatures for January, 2017 and OMG most of the cruise is VERY, VERY HOT. Have to love that ship!

Perhaps it is because we are used to warm temperatures, but a high of 88 in Acapulco and 86 in Cartagena in January, for instance, is not what we would call VERY, VERY HOT.

Perhaps it is because we are used to warm temperatures, but a high of 88 in Acapulco and 86 in Cartagena in January, for instance, is not what we would call VERY, VERY HOT.

Like they say it ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

A 98* day in Colorado (15% RH) was pleasant.

A 98* day in South Carolina (95% RH) makes me want to slide naked down an ice-covered incline into a giant vat of frozen yogurt inside an overly air-conditioned ice arena.

But that's just me.

Like they say it ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

A 98* day in Colorado (15% RH) was pleasant.

A 98* day in South Carolina (95% RH) makes me want to slide naked down an ice-covered incline into a giant vat of frozen yogurt inside an overly air-conditioned ice arena.

But that's just me.

WOO HOO!!!! Sounds good to me! (giggle!)