One for the Old Timers.

tokyo

She had some really small inside cabins :)

She sure did! If you told me my usual cabin was 8X10 (not including the bathroom), I would believe you.

I've been told there were no cabins that small, but I expect the person I was speaking with was including the bathroom in the total area. I know the "living" space (if you can call it "living") was miniscule.

1970, my traveling companion and I had an outside cabin on the bottom passenger deck. On the other side of our corridor was the Odyssey Dining Room. Yes, it was small with upper and lower berths, but it was quite adequate for us---even with us having severely overpacked. I think the cabin number was in the 700's.

1971, I booked three of my family in cabin 540. It had two lower beds, an upper birth, and a sofa bed with two portholes. (And, I think, a porthole in the bathroom.) Plenty of room and particularly more so in comparison to the ships of today whose cabins are supposed to "comfortably" accommodate 3 people.

Where are the balcony cabins on the ship?:D

No balconies, not popular in the fifties, also beds were singles, with boards around it to hold on to, ship had no stabilizers, went through a hurricane with her off the coast of Cape Hatteras, ship did not move that's how stable she was....

She was the first HAL ship we sailed on...in 1986. We did go visit her the last time we were in Rotterdam. She has been restored to the time when she was launched. So, there are first class thru steerage class areas which were not there when we sailed. Was fun to see the pool below decks. The woodwork and glasswork are still lovely. Great memories.

I am going to Rotterdam in a few days time and will be staying at the SS Rotterdam hotel. She is an ex HAL ship from the 60's (I think) Just wondering if anyone has sailed on her when she was in her glory days.

Regards Phil.

AHOY SHIPMATE,

DW and I were fortunate to do the LAST Grand World Voyage on HER in 1997 and really enjoyed it. The ship was beautiful and everyone was sorry to see it SOLD.

It went thru some bad times before becoming the Hotel.

I never sailed on her, but I did stay on board for one night pre-cruise a few years ago. We dined in the restaurant, explored the ship that evening, and did the more formal tour in the morning before heading to Rotterdam (VI) for a fortnight.

See “Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013 (includes photos).

Our first cruise ever was on the Rotterdam in 1986 to Alaska. They did engine room tours then and DW kept looking for the exit out the propeller shaft (re: Poseidon Adventure). I think we were the youngest passengers at the time. The rest, as they say, is history.

Just back from my stay on the Rotterdam. We did not have time to do the official tour, but I was up very early in the morning so had the chance to look around her. I guess so much has been changed since becoming a hotel, but suspect she must have been fantastic in her sea going days.