Another push for a terminal for Newcastle

GUT2407

Get a reliable train line first and it might happen. The Newcastle to Sydney train line is worst than developing countries. It is a shame our political leaders cannot foresee a larger population of Australia that needs such infrastructure. In the mean time new housing suburbs are being built up and it will be impossible to build public transport networks in the future thanks to the housing congestion between the two cities.

It is a logical port to have a turn around when Sydney gets too many ships but the transport to and from the two cities of what could be 40 minutes by a fast train is actually over 3 hours.

I have been to Japan and England and used their trains and Australian trains suck so until Newcastle gets connected it wont see any infrastructure built.

Get a reliable train line first and it might happen. The Newcastle to Sydney train line is worst than developing countries. It is a shame our political leaders cannot foresee a larger population of Australia that needs such infrastructure. In the mean time new housing suburbs are being built up and it will be impossible to build public transport networks in the future thanks to the housing congestion between the two cities.

It is a logical port to have a turn around when Sydney gets too many ships but the transport to and from the two cities of what could be 40 minutes by a fast train is actually over 3 hours.

I have been to Japan and England and used their trains and Australian trains suck so until Newcastle gets connected it wont see any infrastructure built.

I totally agree.

But it takes govt money to build the transport, when I was kid the Newcastle Flyer, a steam train got to Sydney in just under two hours, today it takes longer.

In my opinion they alse need to put the terminal on the city side of the harbour, not the old BHP side, for the same reason, transport infrastructure.

I totally agree.

But it takes govt money to build the transport, when I was kid the Newcastle Flyer, a steam train got to Sydney in just under two hours, today it takes longer.

In my opinion they alse need to put the terminal on the city side of the harbour, not the old BHP side, for the same reason, transport infrastructure.

Isn't there talk of a cruise terminal in the Jervis Bay area. If they build there would there be enough business to justify the cost of two terminals in NSW

Isn't there talk of a cruise terminal in the Jervis Bay area. If they build there would there be enough business to justify the cost of two terminals in NSW

A lot will come down to what they want to do at each port, embarkation Scot just visits? I doubt there is enough business for two more embarkation Ports, one more? Yeah I believe so.

A lot will come down to what they want to do at each port, embarkation Scot just visits? I doubt there is enough business for two more embarkation Ports, one more? Yeah I believe so.

WE did Brisbane Newcastle Sydney at the conclusion of a round Australia cruise last year and I was surprised at the Newcastle stopover it being only a couple of hours drive from Sydney. The stopover would have been better in the Whitsundays or somewhere similar. I guess port charges etc have a degree of determining where ships go. We had a great wine tour in Newcastle so it wasn't a total write off although some of us were close

Let us hope that they stop the talking and start the building no matter where the terminal is. As long as the terminal is modern and functional and can handle whatever size ships (large or small) for the next 20-30 years.:D

That was the problem with White Bay, good little terminal, no transport and in five years nothing will be able to get there because of the Bridge.

Wollongong has now been added to RCL itinerary including it in there stop overs for cruises south of Sydney as well as a stop replacing lifou for some of there bigger ships this year also, it has a port and can handle big ships

Edited by David1951

Wollongong has now been added to RCL itinerary including it in there stop overs for cruises south of Sydney as well as a stop replacing lifou for some of there bigger ships this year also, it has a port and can handle big ships

Perhaps it is more suitable to build a proper terminal there. I would think Newcastle and surrounds has a bit more to offer the cruise tourist though.

Edited by MicCanberra

The government doesn't have any money, it cant even support failing infrastructure now.

2 options.

Option 1/ Let new infrastructure be built by overseas companies, who then lease it for 99 yrs and collect revenue(ie Tollways).

The problem here lies in everyone complaining about Australia being sold down the road, to overseas consortiums.

2nd option. Build it ourselves and charge a levy for usage.(ie,user pay system)

At least we will own it from go to whoa,

But may put offside cruisers who may have to pay a extra $20,$50,$100 ???,levy a cruise:eek:.

Needs someone with a vision, unfortunately, things take so, so, long to build and achieve in this country, that I doubt that I would ever see ideas like this completed.

Instead of one project being built ,there should be multiple projects built at the same time.

Negating the catch-up game.

BUILD IT, and THEY WILL COME.

The government doesn't have any money, it cant even support failing infrastructure now.

2 options.

Option 1/ Let new infrastructure be built by overseas companies, who then lease it for 99 yrs and collect revenue(ie Tollways).

The problem here lies in everyone complaining about Australia being sold down the road, to overseas consortiums.

2nd option. Build it ourselves and charge a levy for usage.(ie,user pay system)

At least we will own it from go to whoa,

But may put offside cruisers who may have to pay a extra $20,$50,$100 ???,levy a cruise:eek:.

Needs someone with a vision, unfortunately, things take so, so, long to build and achieve in this country, that I doubt that I would ever see ideas like this completed.

Instead of one project being built ,there should be multiple projects built at the same time.

Negating the catch-up game.

Yes, I agree but in the mean time nothing is getting done.

I love that saying, Build it and they will come' but unfortunately most Australians really hate change and lack foresight and won't commit to paying for the use of infrastructure. There are always far to many people to complain about any new major development. And some of the figures that get thrown around in building these things in the billions, makes me wonder where the hell half the money goes. Surely concrete and steel doesn't cost that much!

At the end of the day, if us consumers get great facilities to use, whether they be trains, roads, cruise terminals, whatever, I think that's a good thing, who cares who earns owns it or whether there is a toll to pay.

I have been lucky to travel to over 35 countries, and many cities across the world make parts of our cities look and feel real 3rd world. Has anyone been to Dubai lately, where the term Build it & they will come' is working and tourism is going through the roof.

I love that saying, Build it and they will come' but unfortunately most Australians really hate change and lack foresight and won't commit to paying for the use of infrastructure. There are always far to many people to complain about any new major development. And some of the figures that get thrown around in building these things in the billions, makes me wonder where the hell half the money goes. Surely concrete and steel doesn't cost that much!

At the end of the day, if us consumers get great facilities to use, whether they be trains, roads, cruise terminals, whatever, I think that's a good thing, who cares who earns owns it or whether there is a toll to pay.

I have been lucky to travel to over 35 countries, and many cities across the world make parts of our cities look and feel real 3rd world. Has anyone been to Dubai lately, where the term Build it & they will come' is working and tourism is going through the roof.

Thank-you, couldn't agree more. Just one more thing, which is fairly noticeable, and I have been saying for a while, the cruise industry is changing as is the world, all those resistant to that change will just be blown, into the weeds, as if they were never here.

Just wondering are there are no other towns between Sydney and Brisbane that would be suitable for cruise ships eg Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour. I known the residents of Yamba do not want a mega port there.

We live in Tamworth and mainly cruise from Brisbane due to convenience of having parking locally, not like Sydney and White Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wondering are there are no other towns between Sydney and Brisbane that would be suitable for cruise ships eg Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour. I known the residents of Yamba do not want a mega port there.

We live in Tamworth and mainly cruise from Brisbane due to convenience of having parking locally, not like Sydney and White Bay.

Gold Coast was making some noises in that direction re a cruise terminal also

Don't think either of those could handle the big ships

I actually went looking and found a feasibility study 2015/16 by the Regional Development Authority about having cruise ships visit Coffs.

I only know about Yamba as we are looking at moving to Iluka which is across the Clarence River from it and there as been a lot in the local news there about a proposed mega port.

Just sayin, I live in Newcastle and I can promise there is so much to offer here and it really is a beautiful city and the surrounding areas are just amazing. Newcastle struggles a lot with development, they try to limit it to stay more boutique but it's backfiring and something needs to change. The airport is getting massive renos and even though they are limited because of the RAAF base it is being received really well by the actual people using it and a terminal would be the same. I view it similar to Cairns in what a proper terminal could offer our city.

Just sayin, I live in Newcastle and I can promise there is so much to offer here and it really is a beautiful city and the surrounding areas are just amazing. Newcastle struggles a lot with development, they try to limit it to stay more boutique but it's backfiring and something needs to change. The airport is getting massive renos and even though they are limited because of the RAAF base it is being received really well by the actual people using it and a terminal would be the same. I view it similar to Cairns in what a proper terminal could offer our city.

I certainly feel Newcastle and the Hunter have so much more to offer than Wollongong.

Just wondering if Badgery's Creek airport ever happens does that open up any possibilities for ports.

It is happening.

But port wise, it's west of anything at present. There may be a likely slow train line, with road access M5/M4 the likely main means. So either Botany, White Bay or OPT are optimal.

I totally agree.

But it takes govt money to build the transport, when I was kid the Newcastle Flyer, a steam train got to Sydney in just under two hours, today it takes longer..

Even longer when the current government has destroyed the rail infrastructure. Now it's a longer train then bus trip instead of the train direct.

Even longer when the current government has destroyed the rail infrastructure. Now it's a longer train then bus trip instead of the train direct.

Yes, the train only gets you to Hamilton, goodness knows why they thought that was a good thing for anyone except the developers now being able to build multi-level skyscrapers where the line was.:(