Recomended Ft Lauderdale Hotels

Paulinda

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise for many years.

Never have we encountered bugs or fixtures falling off. Nor have we ever encountered standing in line for anything more than 5 minutes -- and that was the egg line. Everything else we just walked up and got what whatever we wanted. Before Suite passengers had the Pinnacle for breakfast, there were times when we waited in long lines in the Lido for breakfast -- especially on port days.

We were just there in March -- everything perfect.

We have had rooms with the rounded balcony that had a couple of chairs to sit on -- small but nice.

Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port is a personal favorite. Great service, yummy breakfast and a kick butt hot tub. Free shuttle to port and located near a lot of stores. Easy access to highway. Check it out on tripadvisor.

Edited by wdblake

Last time we cruised out of FLL, 10/2015, we stayed at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center. They offered free shuttle service from the airport and had paid shuttle service to the ship for a couple of bucks each. Rooms were very large and clean, service was great and rate was reasonable. It close to restaurants where you can easily walk to.

We usually fly in the day before and don't look to spend a fortune on a room for one night especially since we're heading out on a cruise.

Dan

Thanks for this. We're trying the Hyatt Place in February for a couple of nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you walk out onto the beach, you'll be able to see the ships going in and out. If you're feeling ambitious, you can walk all the way down the beach to the breakwater and you'll be right along the channel. It's 1.2 km or about 3/4 mile.

That's doable for us. Thanks for the tip!

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise for many years.

Never have we encountered bugs or fixtures falling off. Nor have we ever encountered standing in line for anything more than 5 minutes -- and that was the egg line. Everything else we just walked up and got what whatever we wanted. Before Suite passengers had the Pinnacle for breakfast, there were times when we waited in long lines in the Lido for breakfast -- especially on port days.

We have had rooms with the rounded balcony that had a couple of chairs to sit on -- small but nice.

KK, your experience(s) at Embassy Suites in FLL mirror(s) ours exactly, with our most recent stay there having been in late-January. We have also stayed at the Hilton FLL Marina and the FLL Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa and enjoyed them as well. So, OP, IMO you won't go wrong with any of them.

Smooth sailing ...

P.S. We've also stayed at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas but, because of its more "remote" location, would not recommend it for an overnight pre- or post-cruise stay. JMO

Edited by avian777

We stayed at the Embassy Suites pre=cruise two years ago and would not return. Dark, dated, depressing and the entire floor they put us on reeked of smoke. I could not understand why so many cruise critic folks raved about this place. Awful. We have also stayed at the Hilton Marina and thought that was fine, would definitely return.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites pre=cruise two years ago and would not return. Dark, dated, depressing and the entire floor they put us on reeked of smoke. I could not understand why so many cruise critic folks raved about this place. Awful. We have also stayed at the Hilton Marina and thought that was fine, would definitely return.

Many of the recent reviews on Trip Advisor agree with us. I realize some have had no problems, I wish I had been so lucky. ;)

Interesting that many have complained on TA of the same problems I had 4 months ago. That tells me they just don't care.

Many of the recent reviews on Trip Advisor agree with us. I realize some have had no problems, I wish I had been so lucky. ;)

Interesting that many have complained on TA of the same problems I had 4 months ago. That tells me they just don't care.

Given the divergent opinions expressed on just about any topic on this board, I'm not in the least bit surprised that the Embassy Suites gets very mixed reviews. I hope you fare better with your future selections.

,,, we usually take a cross country redeye flight and they let us check into our room at 8am with no extra charge.

There is a shopping mall next door. Within walking distance is a CVS, Publix supermarket, Wells Fargo, IHop, etc.

It is about a 6 block walk to the beach.

All rooms have a kitchenette.

and of course...the warm chocolate cookie when you check in !

A perfect example of YMMV. We had a terrible experience at the Hilton Marina a few years ago and haven't been back. Filthy room, light out (and not replaced as promised), poor and indifferent service, and the same for the other two couples we traveled with (except for the light). They're probably fine now, and we stay at Hilton chain hotels frequently, but that one is stuck in my head to be avoided. It's a shame for me, because it has such a great location, but there you are.

Meanwhile, I had a good experience at the Embassy Suites last time, so I'll stay there when our cruise returns.

I will never stay at Embassy Suites again. Our room had bugs crawling all over the sheers, the bathroom was moldy and dirty, and fixtures literally falling off the wall. :( Overpriced and dated.

I was shocked, since so many on this board seem to love that hotel. Yes the breakfast was good (except for the stale pastries) but having to stand in line for an hour to get it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Wow. Now I don't feel so bad booking somewhere cheaper.

Wow. Now I don't feel so bad booking somewhere cheaper.

There are less expensive motels in Dania Beach. They are not Marriotts or Hyatts but very popular with many cruisers. They are good for an overnight pre-cruise but not so much for a multi-day stay, though I did that once and rented a car at the hotel to spend a day at the Everglades National Park, very convenient. Dania Beach motels are not near any beaches.

We've stayed at the Rodeway several times, free shuttles from airport, to cruise port, restaurant onsite or nicer ambiance across the road and short walk to an indooor/outdoor marina restaurant. Lots of newer upgrades at the Rodeway, good beds, tile floors, good wifi, shuttle to shopping area if needed, good hot breakfast included - never had to wait.

They cater to cruisers and I've never had a bad stay there, but it's not for everyone, too basic for many who prefer a fancier environment. m--

I have always booked my own to have more control over my reservation. We always stay at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina. Nice, clean hotel with gorgeous views of the waterway from the balconies, great restaurants and bars and we have always had great service and stays. We're staying there again this December before our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. I loved waking up in the morning and being able to see the ship...just brought about even more excitement!!

I have also known a lot of fellow cruisers to stay at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 or the Embassy Suites (free breakfast and happy hour but no balconies). I have heard rave reviews from all three of these hotels and they are all within a couple of miles from the port; Embassy being the furthest but still really close.

Another advantage of this hotel is that is close to the water taxi which stops under the 17th street bridge. The water taxi can take one to the Las Olas area or the beach.

I just returned from a cruise and we stayed at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise port hotel. Very clean and staff was friendly. They are doing construction to their lobby right now. The pool and jacuzzi area are very nice. Right across the street from a Walgreens and the cruise port. They offer a cruise port shuttle for $6/person

A so called free breakfast and a drink in the evening does not do it for us.

Our room at the Embassy was spotlessly clean both times. Checkin was fine. We found the rooms to be dark and dated when compared to Hyatt Place, Ren, Hyatt 66, or a few others. We usually do Priceline bidding or Hotwire so we tend to try many different places. Westin on the beach and Marriott Courtyard on the beach were both very good when we stayed.

Ditto KK. Have never had a bad stay there. We stay at Hilton properties all over the country and we have never had a bad experience at this Embassy Suites. It gets a bit crowded in the lobby come time to head for the ships but that is to be anticipated and hardly surprising nor a major inconvenience.

Now.. the old Hilton near FLL... THAT was a horse of a different color and has since been bulldozed to the ground... and none too soon imo. :eek: