Boarding by Decks Policy on Grandeur

dnz4life

We usually toggle between Royal and Celebrity, but daughter is visiting this weekend and will be on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore in two weeks. Do all the Carnival ships have this staggered check in?

Not all yet; Carnival is rolling it out port by port. According to Carnival's website, however, they are doing it out of Baltimore already.

The text from RCI on Friday, the 16th, stipulating the boarding by decks time-table did not include exemptions based on one's tier as a CAS member.

I am Diamond level.

Because we prefer Deck 2, mid-ship, inside cabins; boarding at 2:30 introduces inconvenience because of hotel check-out time, will likely complicate making My Time Dining arrangements, and will result in late receipt of luggage.

It's Saturday night. Go make yourself a drink and relax. If you're Diamond, you have nothing to be concerned about here.

There is no way to enforce a "boarding by deck" policy...folks are arriving from 10am up to 1 hour before departure. Boarding a ship isn't like boarding a plane at all...it's more like checking into a hotel. Once they clear the ship of departing passengers, it's all 1st come- next boarded!

Wrong again. As stated, other lines do it and it most certainly is enforced. I had it happen on an NCL cruise once and if you weren't on a deck already called and not a high tier Latitudes member, you weren't boarding. Period.

I think the OP's point is there is no longer a statement that it does not apply to upper tier members.

Boarding.jpg

Thank you for posting.

Firstly I notice it states suggested, not mandatory. I have never seen it enforced and never had an issue turning up early. I would not expect the op to have an issue.

Secondly, I now notice on the benefits page that there is no mention of any tier getting priority embarkation. All tier levels state priority check in, but none mention embarkation.

Edited by Spurschick

There is no way to enforce a "boarding by deck" policy...folks are arriving from 10am up to 1 hour before departure. Boarding a ship isn't like boarding a plane at all...it's more like checking into a hotel. Once they clear the ship of departing passengers, it's all 1st come- next boarded!

No worries...arrive when you arrive and get in the boarding line!

I take it you've not cruised P&O because they will and do enforce it. It works very efficiently from what I understand from family that recently sailed with them. So yes it is possible.

Edited by Spurschick

It seems the posts containing the information received on this matter have left out some critical information.

They fail to mention that the message also states: "Grandeur of the Seas will conduct a mandatory US Coastguard safety drill on this day which will take place after all guests from the previous cruise have disembarked. For this reason, the check-in and boarding times have been revised."

Um, no it does not and those are two separate things. The email about boarding by deck have nothing, nothing to do with the US Coast Guard Safety Drill and said nothing about it. We have had delayed boarding due to that in the past (once) but it has nothing to do with deck boarding times.

Edited by BND