Boarding by Decks Policy on Grandeur

dnz4life

Do you know about the boarding by decks policy announced for the October 13th sailing of Grandeur out of Baltimore. It ignores the value of Crown & Anchor membership. Deck 2 does not board until 2:30pm.

I sent the following comment to the official Crown & Anchor comments site:

"As frequent repeat cruisers, with cruises reserved for the remainder of this year(Oct. 13, Dec. 22) and for 2017 (Mar. 6, May 18, Oct.5); we are very unhappy to learn that boarding for the Oct. 13 cruise will be by the deck of one's stateroom rather than by the tier within the CAS.

To minimize sea sickness, we reserve inside staterooms, mid-ship, on Deck 2. So, instead of boarding at 11:30, as has been our practice, you now require us to wait until 2:30. We know many CAS members who book the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th decks. Your boarding by decks policy devalues CAS membership. You know and we know that late boarding affects when we will get our luggage that affects when we dress for dinner and the evening.

We want to continue sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore, but that will be influenced by whether RCI honors CAS membership or chooses to ignore CAS membership. We are hoping that the decision to board by deck was an oversight and will be corrected before the October 13th sailing of the Grandeur.

I await your response."

I don't understand the issue that predicated your letter. If you're at a CAS tier that has pre boarding privileges, these policies...if they even exist...should be of no concern to you.

Or am I missing something here? :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

Do you know about the boarding by decks policy announced for the October 13th sailing of Grandeur out of Baltimore. It ignores the value of Crown & Anchor membership. Deck 2 does not board until 2:30pm.

"As frequent repeat cruisers, with cruises reserved for the remainder of this year(Oct. 13, Dec. 22) and for 2017 (Mar. 6, May 18, Oct.5); we are very unhappy to learn that boarding for the Oct. 13 cruise will be by the deck of one's stateroom rather than by the tier within the CAS.

To minimize sea sickness, we reserve inside staterooms, mid-ship, on Deck 2. So, instead of boarding at 11:30, as has been our practice, you now require us to wait until 2:30. We know many CAS members who book the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th decks. Your boarding by decks policy devalues CAS membership. You know and we know that late boarding affects when we will get our luggage that affects when we dress for dinner and the evening.

We want to continue sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore, but that will be influenced by whether RCI honors CAS membership or chooses to ignore CAS membership. We are hoping that the decision to board by deck was an oversight and will be corrected before the October 13th sailing of the Grandeur.

I await your response."

If you could share the communication you received and what your tier level is, it would be beneficial for others on the forum to be able to tell if this is different than the standard boarding time communication.

Like others have stated, there is a standard communication that has been sent out regarding boarding times. However i have never seem them enforce this and the communication also states that if you are certain tier levels it does not apply.

Please share the information you received.

We are also on this sailing, but have not received any messages or emails about boarding by decks.

WOW!

They still have to board at shore level, hope they get that elevated gangway repaired and back in operation soon!

If you could share the communication you received and what your tier level is, it would be beneficial for others on the forum to be able to tell if this is different than the standard boarding time communication.

Like others have stated, there is a standard communication that has been sent out regarding boarding times. However i have never seem them enforce this and the communication also states that if you are certain tier levels it does not apply.

FYI See below BobbieJohn is on Deck 4. dnz4life is on Deck 2

Royal Caribbean International Express Notification Alerts | conf-1373015418@everbridge.net | Add to Contacts

Friday, Sep 16 04:15 PM | Show Details | View source

Grandeur of the Seas: October 31 Check-In Information

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore on October 31.

We, at Royal Caribbean International, want your vacation to get off on a wonderful start and in order to facilitate your check-in process, suggest that you arrive at the cruise terminal according to the following designated times. This will help ensure a smooth embarkation experience so that you can begin your vacation as soon as possible:

Deck 8: 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM

Deck 7: 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM

Deck 4: 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM

Deck 3: 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM

Deck 2: 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM

In order to prepare for the check-in process at Baltimore we kindly ask you to check in online at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin if you have not done so already.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

I think the OP's point is there is no longer a statement that it does not apply to upper tier members.

Boarding.jpg

Edited by FLACRUISER99

The text from RCI on Friday, the 16th, stipulating the boarding by decks time-table did not include exemptions based on one's tier as a CAS member.

I am Diamond level.

Because we prefer Deck 2, mid-ship, inside cabins; boarding at 2:30 introduces inconvenience because of hotel check-out time, will likely complicate making My Time Dining arrangements, and will result in late receipt of luggage.

The text from RCI on Friday, the 16th, stipulating the boarding by decks time-table did not include exemptions based on one's tier as a CAS member.

I am Diamond level.

Because we prefer Deck 2, mid-ship, inside cabins; boarding at 2:30 introduces inconvenience because of hotel check-out time, will likely complicate making My Time Dining arrangements, and will result in late receipt of luggage.

Ignore the email. Those of us that do receive it do

There is no way to enforce a "boarding by deck" policy...folks are arriving from 10am up to 1 hour before departure. Boarding a ship isn't like boarding a plane at all...it's more like checking into a hotel. Once they clear the ship of departing passengers, it's all 1st come- next boarded!

No worries...arrive when you arrive and get in the boarding line!

Edited by cb at sea

There is no way to enforce a "boarding by deck" policy...folks are arriving from 10am up to 1 hour before departure. Boarding a ship isn't like boarding a plane at all...it's more like checking into a hotel. Once they clear the ship of departing passengers, it's all 1st come- next boarded!

No worries...arrive when you arrive and get in the boarding line!

incorrect. they can and will enforce check in times and they know what cabin you are in based on your preprinted pass. and if you are not allowed inside to check in/go through security before the time listed, then you will not be boarding any earlier either.

now, whether or not the OP is at risk, and whether or not it is a temporary thing because of the pier incident that damaged the mobile Ramp of Doom earlier this year, who knows.

We checked in about four weeks ago for the Grandeur. It was our first Diamond cruise. We arrived at the port at 10:45 AM and were sent right to the Diamond line. There was no one in line so we went right up to the next agent. We got our Sea Pass Cards and headed onto the ship. The longest wait was for the My Time Dining stop just as you exit the main terminal. We don't make reservations since we always eat in the Windjammer. We pass by that line and were onboard at 11:15 AM. Our cabin was on deck 9 but I did not see anyone waiting for their printed boarding times. Baltimore does a great job of emptying the ship and seems to have earlier boarding times than other east coast ports.

The text from RCI on Friday, the 16th, stipulating the boarding by decks time-table did not include exemptions based on one's tier as a CAS member. I am Diamond level. Because we prefer Deck 2, mid-ship, inside cabins; boarding at 2:30 introduces inconvenience because of hotel check-out time, will likely complicate making My Time Dining arrangements, and will result in late receipt of luggage.

OP, welcome to Cruise Critic. It seems you are very upset about this but please rest assured this is not being enforced in North American embarkation ports. If this was the case, trust me, we would have heard about it on this board.

Relax, get to the pier when you want to, know that you will be boarded with other Diamond members if general boarding has not already started, and enjoy your vacation. OK? Please? :)

It seems the posts containing the information received on this matter have left out some critical information.

They fail to mention that the message also states: "Grandeur of the Seas will conduct a mandatory US Coastguard safety drill on this day which will take place after all guests from the previous cruise have disembarked. For this reason, the check-in and boarding times have been revised."

We received an email and text from RCI and our TA passed on one she received for our 31 Oct cruise. Our TA said she'd done our duty ;), but we should go when we want, which is what we planned anyway. We usually arrive by 10:30 and we're on deck 8 in the first group scheduled at 1130.

They're only trying to spread out arrivals, which since newbies don't know any better will accomplish their goal.

Edited by BND

The email says they "suggest" and not require.

Exactly.

Much different from Carnival's staggered check-in policy, which isenforced in the ports where it has been rolled out and states "Guests who arrive prior to their check-in window will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience."

I await your response."

Welcome to Cruise Critic, dnz4life.

I suggest that you join your Roll Call, where your fellow cruisers are discussing this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2200475&page=59

Perhaps they can convince you that this is no big deal.

:)

We received an email and text from RCI and our TA passed on one she received for our 31 Oct cruise. Our TA said she'd done our duty ;), but we should go when we want, which is what we planned anyway. We usually arrive by 10:30 and we're on deck 8 in the first group scheduled at 1130.

They're only trying to spread out arrivals, which since newbies don't know any better will accomplish their goal.

I think you're right about the newbies.;) Guess they have to try something to alleviate the mad rush to get on and there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory way to do it. Apparently, according to a previous post, Carnival is taking a hard nose approach.

It seems the posts containing the information received on this matter have left out some critical information.

They fail to mention that the message also states: "Grandeur of the Seas will conduct a mandatory US Coastguard safety drill on this day which will take place after all guests from the previous cruise have disembarked. For this reason, the check-in and boarding times have been revised."

Has nothing to do with whether or not there are guests on board

Exactly.

Much different from Carnival's staggered check-in policy, which isenforced in the ports where it has been rolled out and states "Guests who arrive prior to their check-in window will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience."

We usually toggle between Royal and Celebrity, but daughter is visiting this weekend and will be on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore in two weeks. Do all the Carnival ships have this staggered check in?

incorrect. they can and will enforce check in times and they know what cabin you are in based on your preprinted pass. and if you are not allowed inside to check in/go through security before the time listed, then you will not be boarding any earlier either.

now, whether or not the OP is at risk, and whether or not it is a temporary thing because of the pier incident that damaged the mobile Ramp of Doom earlier this year, who knows.

When the ship is cleared there is NO deck by deck enforcement. This email was sent for Grandeur passengers on my August 4th sailing also. Guess what, you boarded when you had your seapass card, regardless of what deck you happened to be on.....K.O.:)