Ship security with titanium hip

waterbugohio

Sailing in November with friends.

One of the guys just had a hip replaced. He wants to know if he will have trouble getting on the ship?? Will he be ok going thru security??

What about the airport???

Is there something special he can carry showing he has a titanium hip?

I have had both knees and both hips replaced. I have had absolutely no problem with ship security. I do have a card from my first hip replacement, but they never ask to see it. Your friend should be fine.

Ditto. Very rarely do I set off the ship's detector, despite 2 hips. Airline security - always. But if you set off the detector, just indicate that you have metal parts and they will wand you. Easy peasy.

One of the guys just had a hip replaced. He wants to know if he will have trouble getting on the ship?? Will he be ok going thru security??

I've had 2 titanium rods in my arm since 1998 and have never set the alarm off at the airport where it is set more sensitive than at the cruise ship.

Bill

My DD had a titanium brace on her ankle and brings a card issued to her. Had no problem with security.

I've had both hips replaced. Oddly, it is hit or miss whether the scanners onboard go off. I think it depends on the sensitivity setting.

For US airports, you should complete the TSA disability card: https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_card_508.pdf

TSA recognizes the blue cards, they ignore the physician cards, because there is no uniformity.

In any case, if you do set off the metal detector, you will get wanded. I just hate getting sent to "the box" at the airport. And I always choose the full body scanner, if available.

Edited by Coralc

The cards are meaningless. Security won't treat you any differently because you have a piece of paper or card.

Hi All,

Absolutely correct, anyone can make up a professional looking card. The only way that security will be satisfied is if they detect the metal with a "wand" if they aren't satisfied with that they will question you further, usually they will take you to a private room and ask to see under your clothing ( that is what they are interested in ), you can then show the scar which will satisfy them.

It won't be the first time that security will have come across internal metal work and it won't be the last.

Pete

QUOTE=Enforcer;51079142]Hi All,

Absolutely correct, anyone can make up a professional looking card. The only way that security will be satisfied is if they detect the metal with a "wand" if they aren't satisfied with that they will question you further, usually they will take you to a private room and ask to see under your clothing ( that is what they are interested in ), you can then show the scar which will satisfy them.

It won't be the first time that security will have come across internal metal work and it won't be the last.

Pete

Agreed, when I had my hip replaced my Dr gave me a card but told me it will not mean much to security. Traveled on the Oasis last summer and didn't have any issues at the airport or cruise terminal. Nothing to worry about. Have a great cruise.

Since having pacemaker implanted, I don't even go near the walk thru. I just step aside and tell them pacemaker and they wand lower body and pat down upper. I now have a new L hip but know that will not be an issue for them. We no longer fly so can't speak for airport security.

I have a titanium hip and always get special screening at the airport unless they have the latest and greatest equipment(rarely). However it is hit and miss on the ship. It depends on how sensitive they have the equipment set. Usually I don't set it off on the ship.

I have a titanium hip and always get special screening at the airport unless they have the latest and greatest equipment(rarely). However it is hit and miss on the ship. It depends on how sensitive they have the equipment set. Usually I don't set it off on the ship.

I always request the full body scanner if one is available at the airport. Walk through metal detectors are hit or miss, depending on how they are set. And both of mine are replacements. :D

Our son had his hip replaced and his physician gave him a wallet-sized card to carry with him for the purposes of going through security when traveling. I'm sure your friend has the same card, and he should have no trouble traveling with his new hip. Bet he feels great!

My husband has 2 knee replacements and he is ALWAYS pulled aside and wanded - every time we enter the ship and through TSA. My husband has "his card" but they still pull him aside to wand him. It is no problem - just be prepared. It actually makes me feel safer that security does this:)

I have an ankle replacement and my first time cruising (not flying), after the surgery, I told them about it first, so they just used the wand. At one point during the cruise, the security person just told me to walk through and...."no buzzing". I was surprised. I don't even say anything anymore and I just breeze right through. I often wonder if it would go off at an airport. I know sometimes a person has to take off their shoes to go through security at an airport. Is it more sensitive at an airport? I would hope it would be the same for a cruise ship. There are more people on a ship than an airplane. And my ankle replacement is titanium.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruzinlady1947

We just returned from Enchantment on Friday. My travel partner has a shiny new hip and a foot held together with rods and screws. No trouble getting thru security at either airport or the port of Miami. They were all completely uninterested in the card. They sent her thru the body scanner at one airport and gave her a pat-down at the other. Easy-Peasy.