Inflatable baby bathtub?

cmukid87

Certainly you may be right. I do note that when I have cruised on ships with salt water pools at night we would see them empty.

In addition, this is an interesting article/comment which may be of some interest:

"It depends on the system in use by the ship and where the ship is. In general, most cruise ships still use free-flowing seawater in their pools (the water is passed through a sand filter before it reaches the pool) - the salt provides a natural source of chlorine bleach to keep the water clean. As long as the ship has access to relatively clean seawater (usually at distances greater than 12 nautical miles from shore), this open-circulation system with the sea will work. To keep the water quality high (given impurities enter the pool from all the people swimming in it), the water is also completely dumped daily (usually in the early morning), the pool sanitized and subsequently refilled with seawater.

When the ship is within 12 nautical miles from shore, the water tends to become more polluted, and as such, ships with saltwater pools will recirculate the water by sending it back through the sand filters instead of dumping it out to sea. Chlorine bleach is added to the water to prevent the water quality from falling too much, but it's best to avoid the pool while the ship is in port if the ship has a saltwater pool system.

The hot tubs on all ships are filled with chlorinated freshwater and some ships have chlorinated freshwater pools, filled with desalinated seawater produced either via flash evaporators (distillation) or reverse osmosis. Either method of seawater desalination is energy intensive and thus increases the ship's fuel consumption - as such, all freshwater pools and hot tubs are recirculated. What differs between the two is how often the water is changed - the CDC's health requirements for all cruise ships sailing out of the United States state that hot tubs must be emptied and refilled daily, while swimming pools can be left alone longer. Either way, impurities get into the water with regular usage and as one can only add so much chlorine into the water to maintain quality, the water in an freshwater pool without pool heaters still must be discarded once every few days."

I don't know the source of your article, but some of the information is not correct, or implies that certain operations like switching to recirculation mode is sort of "optional", when in fact it is mandated. And when they say that the sea water provides a natural source of chlorine in a "free-flowing" or "flow through" pool, that is just incorrect. To obtain chlorine from salt you have to have an electrolytic cell and pass the sea water through it and the electrical current changes the chlorine ions from the salt to hypochlorite. Flow through pools do not do this, nor do any ship's pools that I am aware of use electrolytic cells to create residual chlorine for pool sanitation. Flow through pools are allowed to not have any chlorine at all, since there is no recirculation of the water.

And again, since the flow through pool would have to be switched to recirculation mode when the ship enters 12 miles from shore, as soon as it is placed in recirculation it must have the required residual chlorine level (and the flow through mode had none) before passengers are allowed in the pool, it must be shut down for an hour or two until the chlorine level stabilizes, which is why many ships do not switch to flow through when there is less than 2 sea days in a row, and many times never, even on transatlantics.

Again, everything you ever wanted to know about ship's pools is in the VSP manual that I linked, or its companion the VSP construction manual.

Sorry to disagree. The tub can certainly slip and slide on the balcony, and I for one would never, never, carry an infant out on a balcony where the parent may trip with disastrous results. At the pool for whatever the reason, the chance of an individual tripping over the tub, or the lounge chair where the tub would be located could potentially cause injury to the child.

The same thing can happen on the pool deck it's all wood decking. I assume you wouldn't walk with your child anywhere above deck because you could possibly stumble and throw them overboard. Thousands of infants and parents cruise every year and so far not a one has wound up in the ocean. If you want to be paranoid you can find danger in any situation. You can't live your life by what ifs. I always erred on the side of caution with my kids but you can't live your life freaked out over everything.

Edited by poobears

Nowhere in the prohibited items is inflatable baby bathtub listed. Thank you for your opinion though.

RESTRICTED ITEMS LIST

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate or dispose of any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Prohibited Items

Household goods or tools of trade (anything not listed under 'Exceptions')

Inflatable Kiddie Pool

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

No, it's not an opinion, it's fact. If it's not covered under one of the above, it's covered under the other. It IS prohibited whether you like it or not.

Edit to note: I finally got a new computer today. I can type CAPS again. Woohoo. :D

Edited by Computer Nerd

RESTRICTED ITEMS LIST

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate or dispose of any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Prohibited Items

Household goods or tools of trade (anything not listed under 'Exceptions')

Inflatable Kiddie Pool

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

No, it's not an opinion, it's fact. If it's not covered under one of the above, it's covered under the other. It IS prohibited whether you like it or not.

Edit to note: I finally got a new computer today. I can type CAPS again. Woohoo. :D

I don't think anyone would confuse a baby bathtub with a baby pool. A baby bathtub is very tiny and easily fits in the bathroom of a stateroom.

I don't think anyone would confuse a baby bathtub with a baby pool. A baby bathtub is very tiny and easily fits in the bathroom of a stateroom.

You are assuming that the OP accurately described her inflatable baby bath tub. There is also no functional difference between a bath tub and a pool. Also, as the FAQs state, Household Good are prohibited and any reasonable person would consider a bath tub as household goods.

Of course, the big issue is that the OP doesn't want to use it just in her cabin bathroom but to take it into public areas as well. IMO, that's the biggest issue. Could you imagine what the pool deck would look like with a hundred "inflatable bath tubs" were littering the area?

Edited by Computer Nerd

Had my doubts as to where this thread was heading, but now that we are equating a blow up tub to "household goods", I can see that it truly has decended down the rabbit hole. Sayonnara.

You make no sense. The comment you ate referring to is from Carnival's website, not an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

That's okay. I'm outta here too. It's obvious that the OP wasn't asking a question or looking for an answer. IMO, she is simply trying to validate what she already plans to do. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a question on John Heald's FB page shortly claiming how "mean" and "terrifying" some CC members are. ;)

Till the next thread. :)

Trust me guys, a $10 Garanimals bathtub that fits in the shower of a cruise ship bathroom is not a pool by any stretch of the imagination. You're splitting hairs people...

The OP isn't planning to leave it in the shower of her bathroom, but she intends to take it on the pool deck and fill it with water. The kid won't be bathing in it up there...

The same thing can happen on the pool deck it's all wood decking. I assume you wouldn't walk with your child anywhere above deck because you could possibly stumble and throw them overboard. Thousands of infants and parents cruise every year and so far not a one has wound up in the ocean. If you want to be paranoid you can find danger in any situation. You can't live your life by what ifs. I always erred on the side of caution with my kids but you can't live your life freaked out over everything.

Not paranoid, just trying to be a cautious parent and garment and error on the side of what is safest for the infant. In the past, many individuals would argue that they didn't need seat belts or car seats for the infant/ child.