Just back from the Navigator

Med Cruise 4 - 18 September

Boarding

Smooth and easy. As Emerald members we had the advantage of the priority queue and were on board, drink in hand by 11:20

Ship condition

A little tired here and there. Evidence of paint flaking, lifts often very slow.

Stateroom

Although we had booked a guarantee balcony room, we had been allocated 8630, right by the centrum lifts. We were pleasantly pleased to see the room as it seemed bigger that most of the balcony rooms we had had previously – previous rooms had a two seater couch and this one had a three seater, so the room was bigger.

Dining

Disappointing. We felt there was clear evidence of cost cutting; previously when getting the MDR menu there was usually one main dish which immediately appealed, whereas now it sometimes we selected the ‘least worst’ option. Chicken made a regular appearance as did two curry dishes ( one chicken and one veggie) We were also surprised at how often pot pies appeared – seriously, pot pies on a MDR menu? Items like steaks and lobster never appeared on the main menu, only as “premium” (i.e., extra cost) items, although on two occasions the premium items were offered at a discount.

We had one meal in Chops, which was excellent, although to describe scallops as “jumbo” and then serve three scallops the size of 5p piece is a bit of an exaggeration)

Cruise Director

Rob McNally, and as has previously been commented upon, largely invisible, only appears at events and shows, never seen just walking around. The “morning show” on the TV with the activities manager was excruciatingly poor.

Entertainment

We didn’t go to every theatre show, or any of the Promenade events (been there, done that got the T shirts). However the “headliner” acts (and there seemed to be more of them and less “production” shows ) were good, and worth seeing. Ice show was great, but only 1 show on a two week cruise ( I’m sure there used to be two different shows)

Ports of Call

Main concern here is the shortened time in port. Several stops arrived quite late ( 10, or 11 am) and left early (3pm) We could see no real reason for this, except possibly (again) cost cutting – by leaving earlier and arriving late presumably they can steam slower and use less fuel.

We didn’t go ashore in Livorno or Civitavecchia as we covered those in our previous Med cruise. Walked ashore in Gibraltar (cheapest shopping is in the cruise terminal). We took a ship-based tour in Ajaccio and Valencia, and booked a tour independently in Malaga.

Clientele

Much older profile then we had encountered previously. Far greater proportion of walking sticks, wheelchairs and motorised scooters than previously. The older age range meant that there was at least four (and possibly more) medical evacuations during the cruise.

Other staff

Cruise director’s 5 staff were great, and good fun at all of there events. Waiting staff efficient without being particularly chatty. One barman in the pub was great (Tee). Room attendant also efficient without being particularly chatty.

Overall

Enjoyable, no major problems, but, but, but………not what we had come to expect from RCCL. We definitely felt that corners were being cut and things trimmed back in the name of cost cutting.

Thanks for the review, haven't seen much about Navigator on here lately.

My parents are on the current sailing, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say, They are part of ' the walking stick brigade' so will probably feel at home :)

Bob, I think the menu is the one adapted for the 'British' sailings, haven't been out of Southampton for a while but have seen others mention it this season.

Julie

... Bob, I think the menu is the one adapted for the 'British' sailings, haven't been out of Southampton for a while but have seen others mention it this season.

Julie

That makes sense, thanks Julie.:)

We were on navigator in may and had steak twice on the MDR menu..Didn't have to pay extra..

We are on Independence next week and her new eatery is a pie shop! ..😨 obviously us British must love our pies..

Not something I'd of put on her but never mind 😂

Agree about decor..but still a beautiful ship 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, it is for the British sailings. Last year on Explorer there was almost always curry on the menu in some version but I've never seen them on the menu on any of my med cruises out of Rome or Barcelona.

Love to see an Indian choice on the menus. We miss the Indian entrees they used to have on the old menus.

Thanks for the review.

I'm a bit surprised about your comments about Rob McNally though. We had him on Adventure a few years ago and loved him.

We are disappointed he won't be on Navigator when we board next month [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hope the food improves for the Caribbean sailings. I'll be on in December... Hope to hear some good reviews for her when she gets to Fl.
I hope so too. I also didn't expect to read that she is looking old and tired considering a major overhaul was completed last year.

I agree about the pot pies on a MDR menu. Never seen that yet.

Dining

Disappointing. We felt there was clear evidence of cost cutting; previously when getting the MDR menu there was usually one main dish which immediately appealed, whereas now it sometimes we selected the ‘least worst’ option. Chicken made a regular appearance as did two curry dishes ( one chicken and one veggie) We were also surprised at how often pot pies appeared – seriously, pot pies on a MDR menu? Items like steaks and lobster never appeared on the main menu, only as “premium” (i.e., extra cost) items, although on two occasions the premium items were offered at a discount.

We had one meal in Chops, which was excellent, although to describe scallops as “jumbo” and then serve three scallops the size of 5p piece is a bit of an exaggeration)

Complimentary lobster is not offered on any European sailings.

I hope so too. I also didn't expect to read that she is looking old and tired considering a major overhaul was completed last year.

I agree about the pot pies on a MDR menu. Never seen that yet.

The refurb was only carpets and bedding etc not fixtures and fittings..quite noticeable in our cabin..stained sofa bed..mirror peeling and knocks and scuffs around the room ..BUT I wasn't put off one bit..we had a fabulous time in may and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We are currently onboard. We happened to speak to Gordon the Hotel Director on embarkation day. He told us the menus are specifically altered for the UK market. The nightly pie on the Classics part of the menu replaces the Sliders for the US market. Similarly, the curries are for us Brits. NY strip Steak is available nightly on the Classics section too.

Rob McNally the CD does the Progressive Trivia himself each time.

I too am disappointed that there is only one Ice Show but it has to be on sea days and on 4 separate occasions to allow each passenger a chance to see it. Our itinerary has 8 port days and only 4 sea days.

I'm not sure why you disliked the port times. They were probably the same as when you booked. Civitivecchia and Livorno are a long way from Southampton, hence the sailing time needed. This cruise has Barcelona as our furthest port which is why we picked it.

I agree there are a lot more walkers and wheelchairs onboard but for me that is preferable to 1,200 children which some of the summer sailings had.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cinnamon

Civitivecchia and Livorno are a long way from Southampton, hence the sailing time needed. This cruise has Barcelona as our furthest port which is why we picked it.

I agree there are a lot more walkers and wheelchairs onboard but for me that is preferable to 1,200 children which some of the summer sailings had.

We sailed Anthem from southampton a couple of years ago, and don't recall short port times on similar itinerary.

must prefere to fly to pick up ship in Barcelona, rome, venice or athens,

tends to be younger croud, and more cosmopolitan, rather than mainly brits

if you want better menu's best try Celebrity :rolleyes:

We are currently onboard. We happened to speak to Gordon the Hotel Director on embarkation day. He told us the menus are specifically altered for the UK market. The nightly pie on the Classics part of the menu replaces the Sliders for the US market. Similarly, the curries are for us Brits. NY strip Steak is available nightly on the Classics section too.

Rob McNally the CD does the Progressive Trivia himself each time.

I too am disappointed that there is only one Ice Show but it has to be on sea days and on 4 separate occasions to allow each passenger a chance to see it. Our itinerary has 8 port days and only 4 sea days.

I'm not sure why you disliked the port times. They were probably the same as when you booked. Civitivecchia and Livorno are a long way from Southampton, hence the sailing time needed. This cruise has Barcelona as our furthest port which is why we picked it.

I did say that Rob was invisible apart form shows and events and was never seen walking around the ship.

And yes, the times were as advertised, but my point was that this is different from a similar itinerary on the Indy two years ago. I was making the point that it seems to be a trend to give shorter times in port.