Is the Crab Shack worth a visit???????

portcbob

Hi. We are 2 Aussies who love seafood and just wondering if the Crab Shack is worth a visit for dinner at least 1 night on our 25 night upcoming cruise on the Golden Princess. We have heard mixed reports about this venue.

Kind Regards Bob.

I agree with Shredie that only you can decide if it's worthwhile to try the Crab Shack because taste is very subjective & everyone has an opinion.

We enjoyed the Crab Shack & would recommend that you try it to form your own opinion. Although since the price has increased from $19 to $29 not sure if we'll go again. Being the same price as the Crown Grill & Sabatini's we prefer the variety of those menus more than the finger food at the Crab Shack. It was more like having a casual seafood dining experience with full length aprons to keep clean than a restaurant experience...both are good but they're different. ;)

Does Star Princess have the crab shack?

Based on their 2016 list of dining options...yes.

Crab Shack

Caribbean, Coral, Crown, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Island, Regal, Royal, Ruby, Star Princess

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree JimmyVWine...in 25 days we would mostly go again as XBGuy recommended and on our future 15 day cruises we might do it again.

One of those cruises is on the Royal where we'll again request the Winemakers Dinner. We're not the conneseur of fine wines like you but for $40 we've enjoyed our 3 dinners in their Wine Cellar area of the MDR.

I am in the minority but our party was disappointed. The crabs were dry and didn't taste fresh. Service was very slow and our waiter seemed confused and left after we placed our order and was never replaced, other servers just worked us in their availability. I have cruised often on many lines including Carnival. The food on Princess has always been lack luster for us. We did really enjoy a meal Crown Grill.

I'd say try it, why not you are on a cruise!

I thought it was good but if I had too review it honestly or change anything, Id say there are way too many shrimp for one person in the bucket I had and with the strong Old Bay? type seasoning, that was all I could really taste.

Would I do it again, sure.

The youtube video link in post #4 of this thread shows the Crab Shack pretty much exactly as we remember it from the Grand (spring '15) . Well worth it in our opinion and will schedule it in again on our next cruise on the Island in April '17.

...VTX-Al

We book the "Crab Shack" almost every time we have the opportunity (Do yourself a favor and don't miss that if you love shell fish). They only schedule about 2 or 3 a week so you have to pay attention as they sometimes conflict with other things. On our last Regal cruise in January, we ate dinner at Sabatini's (5). Crown Grill (1), Seafood Terrace (2), Crab Shack (2), MDR (2). Alfredo's (3).

We book the "Crab Shack" almost every time we have the opportunity (Do yourself a favor and don't miss that if you love shell fish). They only schedule about 2 or 3 a week so you have to pay attention as they sometimes conflict with other things. On our last Regal cruise in January, we ate dinner at Sabatini's (5). Crown Grill (1), Seafood Terrace (2), Crab Shack (2), MDR (2). Alfredo's (3).

You're my kind of cruiser, Kennicott. However, you missed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the Chef's Table.

:D

You're my kind of cruiser, Kennicott. However, you missed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the Chef's Table.

:D

You are spot on. The mere mention of the Chef's Table and Balcony Dining makes me salivate.

Didn't do a Chef's Table on the last cruise since we did one two cruises back. Here is what I said about it then: "During the cruise we kept seeing references to the "Chef's Table" as a specialty restaurant on the ship. But there was no such facility. I called and found out that was a special arrangement only offered occasionally where they really do it up big. As they advertise; "An extraordinary treat for both gastronomes and gourmet novices. Enjoy a behind-the-scenes galley tour with Champagne and hors d'oeuvres, followed by an extravagant multi-course dinner created and hosted by the executive chef." This pitch is not an overstatement, it is truly an eating experience. They even forget to mention the variety of wines served with each course and that you end up in a special section (They drape a huge circular curtain over everybody after seated) in the MDR for the main course and desert. Only ten guests allowed each time, very-very good. My wife loved it. Trouble was I didn't ask the price until I received the final bill getting off the ship. But it was still great, more than worth it, particularly since they give you a lot of quality mementoes to go along with the dinner."

We are long overdue in arranging for a balcony dinner too. Last time was during our Antarctica Cruise on the Star, we stayed on the ship during our night in Montevideo and had dinner out on the balcony, service and cuisine were outstanding. I keep telling my spouse we have to do that again. It really works out nice if we are in port overlooking the lights of a beautiful city.

Hi. We are 2 Aussies who love seafood and just wondering if the Crab Shack is worth a visit for dinner at least 1 night on our 25 night upcoming cruise on the Golden Princess. We have heard mixed reports about this venue.

Kind Regards Bob.

We missed it, but heard a lot of good reviews. Being from New England, we really know good seafood.

Kind Regards Bob.

It was unappealing to me.