Just off the Westerdam to Alaska...Review with pics!

Bostonjetset

Thanks for sharing your Westerdam Alaska cruise. Nice pics and comments.

Thanks for reading!

Can you tell me about the movies you watched ?

Did you watch them in your cabin?

Is there a charge?

How were the TV selections?

We did watch the movies in our stateroom. HAL used to have DVD players in every stateroom with the option to borrow, for free, DVDs from the front office. The selection of DVDs is pretty massive. However, they are updating the TVs across the fleet and are doing away with the DVD players from what I've heard. Westerdam still has them as of now but they are supposed to be removed during the next refit.

The TV selections were pretty poor. I believe there was CNN and Fox News along with a handful of other networks; with the removal of the DVD players, the TV systems are supposedly being upgraded to include on-demand offerings. Unfortunately, I cannot imagine the selection will be as good as with the DVDs as there are literally hundreds [maybe thousands] of DVD titles to borrow.

Great trip report - very much enjoyed it!

And congee in the Lido buffet - you don't even see that in most Chinese buffets on land!

One question - how was the weather? Wife and I will be going that time next year and she wants to know how cold it got - we see you wearing a relatively light jacket in most shots. We're from Charlotte, so our blood may be thinner than those who live further north......

Again, just want to say thank you for sharing your review and photos. I really enjoyed them the read and looking at your photos. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Thank you and I'm happy you enjoyed the review!

Great trip report - very much enjoyed it!

And congee in the Lido buffet - you don't even see that in most Chinese buffets on land!

One question - how was the weather? Wife and I will be going that time next year and she wants to know how cold it got - we see you wearing a relatively light jacket in most shots. We're from Charlotte, so our blood may be thinner than those who live further north......

Thanks for reading!

The weather was in the 50s for most of the trip and mostly overcast. We had a couple minutes of drizzle in Juneau and Ketchikan but it was very short in duration and we had no heavy rain at all in port. We did have rain whilst on the ship a few evenings but mostly in the evenings. Glacier Bay was party cloudy with many peaks of sunshine and in fact was PERFECT for the glacier viewing; lots of play on light and shadows.

From what the onboard shopping "guide" told me, the past several trips before ours were nothing buy rain and she said we had one of the best weather trips in weeks. Of course, as many on here have stated numerous times, weather in Alaska is always unpredictable. This week's voyage had to cancel Sitka due to awful storms [such a pity as that is one of the best ports on this itinerary] so you can see it changes drastically over the course of a view days. September is considered a "risky" month for Alaska due to weather but then again I've heard reports of bad weather there in any month. Any trip there is better than no trip there so if Sept is all you can manage, make the best of it and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

I was fine with the windbreaker/rain jacket. It fact I bought it just for this trip and it was the best investment I've made in a while. Light weight and easy to fold up to carry but just enough to protect from rain and wind. With a sweater underneath it was just enough. I'm glad I did not bring a heavy winter coat as it would have been a waste for me. Of course, I prefer cooler temps in general [65-70 is perfection for me!] so YMMV.

Edited by Bostonjetset

We did this same trip back in the first part of June. Thanks for the memories!! Did you, by chance, get the book they were selling called The Alaska Cruise Explorer by Joe Upton? Great book with maps and descriptions for this cruise. Glad you enjoyed the cruise. It was our first trip to Alaska, too.

We did this same trip back in the first part of June. Thanks for the memories!! Did you, by chance, get the book they were selling called The Alaska Cruise Explorer by Joe Upton? Great book with maps and descriptions for this cruise. Glad you enjoyed the cruise. It was our first trip to Alaska, too.

DH bought that book in Ketchikan at the small independent bookstore there. It is indeed an interesting book.

Thanks for reading my review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did watch the movies in our stateroom. HAL used to have DVD players in every stateroom with the option to borrow, for free, DVDs from the front office. The selection of DVDs is pretty massive. However, they are updating the TVs across the fleet and are doing away with the DVD players from what I've heard. Westerdam still has them as of now but they are supposed to be removed during the next refit.

The TV selections were pretty poor. I believe there was CNN and Fox News along with a handful of other networks; with the removal of the DVD players, the TV systems are supposedly being upgraded to include on-demand offerings. Unfortunately, I cannot imagine the selection will be as good as with the DVDs as there are literally hundreds [maybe thousands] of DVD titles to borrow.

Good to know. Thank you for the great review and info.

We usually bring a few of our favorite DVD's just in case for late night viewing. Once when we had a bug for a couple days we self-quarantined and those dvd's really came in handy. Hate to see all the dvd players go. :(

The food on the Westerdam was very good. Pinnacle Grill was fabulous and most meals in the MDR were very good. DH, being Chinese, especially appreciated that congee was served at breakfast in the lido buffet EVERY day; that alone may bring him back again and again to HAL when the price and itinerary fits. LOL. I did think the lido could have better dinner selections; I really missed the Indonesian buffet; it was only offered as a late night snack on this trip and not for a full meal. Lido was great for breakfast and lunch though.

Boston, thank you for your great review. On your next HAL journey (especially if it is a little longer than seven days) let one of the DR hosts know of your fondness for Indonesian food. It won't be a buffet but it is possible to arrange ahead to have true Indonesian food (like the crew enjoy!) for lunch or maybe dinner one day. To top it all off, the servers will GREATLY enjoy bringing it to you.

I recall your thread before booking; it was a tough year to get a great deal on Alaska but it seems like all your hard effort paid off and you had a terrific cruise!

Boston, thank you for your great review. On your next HAL journey (especially if it is a little longer than seven days) let one of the DR hosts know of your fondness for Indonesian food. It won't be a buffet but it is possible to arrange ahead to have true Indonesian food (like the crew enjoy!) for lunch or maybe dinner one day. To top it all off, the servers will GREATLY enjoy bringing it to you.

I recall your thread before booking; it was a tough year to get a great deal on Alaska but it seems like all your hard effort paid off and you had a terrific cruise!

Thanks for reading and for the tips on Indonesian food!

We did have a lovely cruise and Alaska is truly beautiful. Pity about the lack of deals but we rolled with the punches and still had a wonderful time at what we considered a fair price.

I like congee also but mostly find it on West Coast cruises or where many Asian people are on the cruise.

That makes sense. I'm not generally a fan of congee but DH can eat gobs of it. :D

IMO, one of England's greatest contributions to cuisine is their take on breakfast; although I do admit that I'm always intrigued on my travels [esp. outside of the USA, Canada, and the UK] by what people of other, non-Anglo cultures eat in the morning!

9b98c26c007076a901cff8fc775056d7.jpg

Dutch pea soup on deck!!

What a perfect touch for Glacier Bay! It looks yummy.

10.39pm [PST]

Just back from our very short call in Victoria, B.C. It's really a shame that we only had a couple of hours here as it appears to be a beautiful and charming city. We were late to port [8.00pm instead of 6.00pm] due to rough seas leaving Ketchikan so we just walked downtown and took some pictures, then shopped a bit before calling a taxi back to the port.

My first-ever cruise was on Westerdam in Alaska. We missed Sitka due to gale-force winds, and we were late into Victoria. We were told by the cab driver that Westerdam is always late into Victoria. Others may want to confirm or deny this "fact."

Thanks again for your review. :)

What a perfect touch for Glacier Bay! It looks yummy.

My first-ever cruise was on Westerdam in Alaska. We missed Sitka due to gale-force winds, and we were late into Victoria. We were told by the cab driver that Westerdam is always late into Victoria. Others may want to confirm or deny this "fact."

Thanks again for your review. :)

HAHA thanks! The pea soup was indeed yummy! And I never really cared for pea soup in the past. Now I crave it haha.

Pity that you missed Sitka. It was probably my fave of the 4 ports. Hopefully you made it there on another voyage. Victoria would be lovely in the day time. I wonder why they can't stop there first in order to meet the foreign port requirement [even if it's the same time frame, it would be better in daylight] and then have the full sea day at the end of the trip. Is it required that the foreign port be the last one before re-entering the US?

Pity that you missed Sitka. It was probably my fave of the 4 ports. Hopefully you made it there on another voyage. Victoria would be lovely in the day time. I wonder why they can't stop there first in order to meet the foreign port requirement [even if it's the same time frame, it would be better in daylight] and then have the full sea day at the end of the trip. Is it required that the foreign port be the last one before re-entering the US?

If the ship stopped in Victoria first then the ship would need to clear US customs at the first port in Alaska as all on board would be re-entering the US after the Canada visit.

Logistically it doesn't work either as Victoria is only a couple of hours sailing from Seattle. We've enjoyed our Victoria visits but always arrived earlier in the day (different itinerary than yours).

If the ship stopped in Victoria first then the ship would need to clear US customs at the first port in Alaska as all on board would be re-entering the US after the Canada visit.

Logistically it doesn't work either as Victoria is only a couple of hours sailing from Seattle. We've enjoyed our Victoria visits but always arrived earlier in the day (different itinerary than yours).

I never thought of that but it certainly makes sense!

Hopefully I'll make it back to Victoria at some point in life. I'd love to see the Butchart Gardens. There are so many places to visit though so it may be many years before we repeat Alaska.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to do this!

You are welcome. Thank you for reading!

Here are a couple of questions:

Has HAL updated to flat screen TVs on the Westerdam?

Any interactive TV items available, like menus, onboard account?

Is there a kiosk somewhere for a copy of onboard accounts?

Thanks!

TVs are still flat screen but old. Not HD and no interactive features. BUT they still have the DVDs which will go away when they update.

There was a kiosk in the atrium to check accounts but it was broken the whole trip hahaha.

Thank you for your thoughts as well as your excellent pictures. Enjoyed revisiting Alaska through your eyes!

Thanks for reading!! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My questions are mostly being answered, so I don't have many left.

But here are two:

Since you are a Mariner, did you receive a invitation to the embarkation day reception (usually in the Crow's Nest)? Or was it mentioned in the Program>

Were there lots of NYTimes Digest papers around?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your great review, making me have thoughts of another cruise to Alaska (wish we live closer to Vancouver than a 15 hour flight!!).

Hope you get to return to Victoria during daylight, during one of our visits to Vancouver we had a super float plane flight to Victoria, and visited the Butchart gardens, well worth the visit.

My questions are mostly being answered, so I don't have many left.

But here are two:

Since you are a Mariner, did you receive a invitation to the embarkation day reception (usually in the Crow's Nest)? Or was it mentioned in the Program>

Were there lots of NYTimes Digest papers around?

Thanks again!

I did not receive any notice of the embarkation reception and thus did not attend or even know about it haha. Maybe only for high-level Mariners?

We did receive an invitation to the Mariner brunch [where they give the tiles] that was delivered to our stateroom about 2 days prior.

They did have the NY Times digest printouts in the library/crow's next. I don't recall seeing them anywhere else but they were easy enough to obtain up there. After I read it I left it behind, and I assume many others do the same as I was always there later in the afternoon and was able to get one to read.

Thanks for your great review, making me have thoughts of another cruise to Alaska (wish we live closer to Vancouver than a 15 hour flight!!).

Hope you get to return to Victoria during daylight, during one of our visits to Vancouver we had a super float plane flight to Victoria, and visited the Butchart gardens, well worth the visit.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. 15 hours is an insane flight! We can fly to Shanghai from Boston in less time than that!!