NCL 7 night European explanation of Service charge

freejack2k

Hi

We are planning on booking a 7 night cruise on the Epic from Barcelona for next year.

The package we have seen includes the full drinks package.

From reading round I think the daily gratuities charge is $13.50 (assume the same for europe?) is that also the same for our 11 year old daughter?

With the full drinks package do we also have 18% added on for every drink we buy?

On the NCL site it is a little bit read it how you want to so figured best asking here for people who have experience of it first hand

Thanks

Yes, daily service charge (DSC) is $13.50 ($15.50 for full suites) per person per day for all guests 3 yrs or older.

The DSC is often discussed on these boards, with a forum search you will find countless threads about it...

The drink package is for the first 2 persons per cabin - you will be charged 18% gratuities for the package at the time of booking (this only applies to US/CAN bookings - UK/EUR are not charged additional, but will have the cost included in the quoted cruise fare)

hi

we are planning on booking a 7 night cruise on the epic from barcelona for next year.

The package we have seen includes the full drinks package.

From reading round i think the daily gratuities charge is $13.50 (assume the same for europe?) is that also the same for our 11 year old daughter?yes

with the full drinks package do we also have 18% added on for every drink we buy? no, your actual account will carry the 18% charge on the value of the 'full drinks package'

on the ncl site it is a little bit read it how you want to so figured best asking here for people who have experience of it first hand

thanks

hth

Thank you got that very much appreciated.

So the package I am looking at says the drinks package is included (think it is free) in that case we would not have to pay 18% every time we bought a drink? Thats the bit that throws me!

Thanks again

Correct. You pay the 18% over the priced value of the drink package.

Had no idea about the Spanish thing!

Thanks again all

So how I am reading it is we $13.50 per day but as the drinks package is included in the price of our cruise we do not pay anything extra on top of any drinks we order?

Just making sure as its for my wife's 40th and we are going to end up booking a few cabins so I have been put in charge of finding all the information and costings!

The 18% gratuity on the beverage package is billed and paid with your reservation. It is 18% of the $79 per day. You pay no extra gratuity when you get your drinks on the ship. Just hand them your card and you're all set

Sorry for being so incredibly thick

My cruise price is £638, this includes a free drinks package

My Gratuities are $13.50 per day, will I also pay an extra 18% gratuities on $79 per day (so another $14.22 per day on top of the $13.50 per day) or is this included in the cruise price I am paying

Again apologies I just want to make sure I am giving everyone the correct information

Sorry for being so incredibly thick

My cruise price is £638, this includes a free drinks package

My Gratuities are $13.50 per day, will I also pay an extra 18% gratuities on $79 per day (so another $14.22 per day on top of the $13.50 per day) or is this included in the cruise price I am paying

Again apologies I just want to make sure I am giving everyone the correct information

Since you are quoting the price of the cruise in NON US currency, I am going to assume this is a NON US booking.

In the US, the 18% of $79 per person per day is added to the price of the cruise when it is booked. Similar to taxes and port fees.

In Europe/UK the additional 18% is not a separate charge. It is included in the cruise price.

For cruisers booking in the UK using the UK terms & conditions, ALL service charges related to the drinks package are included in the fare. You should not see a separate 18% service charge line item on your bill. You will not be charged a "per drink" service charge. The references you see here to the services charges are for guests booking through non-UK rules. I believe but am not 100% certain that passengers booking under EU rules have the same T&Cs as UK rules passengers.

When the ship is in port, you MAY be charged local taxes/VAT for drinks you order.

I hope that clarifies the issue. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would just like to say thank you to everyone who has took the time to reply.

Now it makes perfect sense to me, it's not the easiest thing to work out even when you read the official site!!

Thanks again

I would recommend pre-paying your service charge - then you're charged in pounds, not dollars. As most credit cards charge a non-sterling fee, this will probably save you some money. Just phone a few weeks before your cruise and it takes just a few minutes.

I've also noticed in the past week or so that there's now an option to pre-pay your service charge when you're logged in to MyNCL (that's new to us UK bookers!) For my next cruise, it's already pre-paid and for the one after that, it won't work - so par for the course, really. This is what it says:

"The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of £8.50 GBP per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account."

Edited by callmehalia

"The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of £8.50 GBP per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account."
That's a great rate! You'll pay over 20% more on board, in dollars.

On bookings in euros the pre-pay rate is 11.50 €, which is still slightly cheaper than the $13.50 you pay on board, but not really significant. And we are unable to pre-pay (or submit cruise payments) online. Room for improvement…

Edited by hawkeyetlse

OK just to muddy the waters a bit more

Assuming this is the Epic 7 day Europe cruise that originates in Barcelona or Rome?

As the ship does not call at a non EU port then Spanish VAT of [i think] 12 % is payable throughout the cruise and not just within home port waters

It's not a large amount per se but is payable on each and every drink

This comes as a nasty surprise to those who haven't heard about it via cruisecritic and will be explained in a letter on your bed when you get to your stateroom

Assuming this is the Epic 7 day Europe cruise that originates in Barcelona or Rome?

As the ship does not call at a non EU port then Spanish VAT of [i think] 12 % is payable throughout the cruise and not just within home port waters

They have stopped collecting VAT on drinks ordered with the UBP on these cruises (although this could change again without warning), but if the OP buys drinks for their daughter without a beverage package, they can expect to pay gratuity and VAT on the amount.

There will also be Spanish VAT collected throughout the cruise on purchases from the gift shop.

They have stopped collecting VAT on drinks ordered with the UBP on these cruises (although this could change again without warning), but if the OP buys drinks for their daughter without a beverage package, they can expect to pay gratuity and VAT on the amount.

There will also be Spanish VAT collected throughout the cruise on purchases from the gift shop.

Agreed - we've done two Barcelona cruise with free drinks package in the last 12 months and Spanish VAT wasn't added. Presumably you can't tax something which is 'free'. I am assuming if I buy the kids soft drinks package while onboard I will be charged an additional 12% on top.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all

Have pre paid my gratuities through my agent at a cost of £59.50 per person

Have also bought my daughter the soft drinks package at a cost of £35.02 for the week.

Not too worried if there is tax on her drinks that should not be the end of the world.

We do depart from Barcelona and finish back there so hoping we won't have any taxes on drinks.

Shop wise is above correct that any purchases will have extra tax on them? Kind of kills of the whole duty free thing if thats the case

There isn't duty free shopping on the ship to speak of. They do sell perfumes and alcohol etc but it's not like duty free shopping in an airport. So you won't miss out on much!

If you might want to spend on board (speciality dining, photos etc) it's not a bad idea to buy some OBC as the $ to £ rate is better than you'll get just charging them to your card.

Thanks all

Have pre paid my gratuities through my agent at a cost of £59.50 per person

Have also bought my daughter the soft drinks package at a cost of £35.02 for the week.

Not too worried if there is tax on her drinks that should not be the end of the world.

We do depart from Barcelona and finish back there so hoping we won't have any taxes on drinks.

Shop wise is above correct that any purchases will have extra tax on them? Kind of kills of the whole duty free thing if thats the case

The extra Spanish tax is a strange issue. I don't think we have ever paid it on NCL regardless of being in a Spanish port or not, certainly our friends traveled NCL a few months ago from Barcelona with an AI drinks package and no tax was added whilst in port. We cruised on a Thomson Cruise last week from Malaga and all ports were Spanish, we have a free drinks package and no tax was added. However our grandson cruised Carnival from Barcelona in September and a tax was added to every drink throughout the cruise as all ports were within the EU. When we cruised RCI a few years ago from our local port of Malaga they added a Spanish tax until the ship had left Spanish waters. It really is a diverse issue that seems to be interpreted by different cruise lines in different ways. We are on NCL b2b over Xmas and New Year and have the AI drinks package so based on previous NCL experience are not expecting to pay any additional tax

Glyn

Does anyone know what drinks in the coffee bar aren't included in the UBP?

Reading the terms and conditions it says not included are "select Lavazza coffee beverages" but reading round I can't actually find any further information.

Only checking Hot chocolate, Latte and cappuccino are included.

Also have not read anything about ice cream anywhere, that was included when we went with MSC a couple of years ago but never mentioned on NCL

Thank you

Reading the terms and conditions it says not included are "select Lavazza coffee beverages" but reading round I can't actually find any further information.

Also have not read anything about ice cream anywhere, that was included when we went with MSC a couple of years ago but never mentioned on NCL

Thank you

No speciality coffee is included in the ubp- so that means nothing from the lavazza bar sadly. There is free coffee in the buffet etc. We bought a few coffees in the lavazza bar and thought them worth the charge as the coffee is a lot nicer.

Free soft serve and whippy machine ice cream in the buffet

Thank you

no coffees in the coffee bar are included in UBP-however you can get an alcoholic drink in some coffee bars!

unless you get complimentary coffee at buffet or post meal in dining rooms you will pay extra-so no hot chocolate latte and cappucinno with UBP

ice cream-depending on ship there may be an ice cream machine self service

Thanks for that. Bit gutted I'll have to do without a hot chocolate here and there but guess I'll survive

You will find hot water dispensers in the buffet. Believe they have tea bags available. You could always bring powdered hot chocolate mix on board with you to mix with the hot water.