Carry on water and soda from port

coldweather

So do they have a "slop" bucket? Piggies will be happy. I mean if you have a half empty refillable, possibly expensive reusable bottle that you don't/won't want to trash what happens? You dump the contents on the floor? I think not. :confused:

Probably like TSA -- a trash can nearby to dump the water in. I've had to empty a water bottle more than once for TSA when I didn't realize a connecting flight would cause me to go through security again and I wanted to keep the bottle. So I imagine NCL will simply have a huge plastic container for folks to dump water into if they want to keep their water bottle.

So do they have a "slop" bucket? Piggies will be happy. I mean if you have a half empty refillable, possibly expensive reusable bottle that you don't/won't want to trash what happens? You dump the contents on the floor? I think not. :confused:

No. Because NCL passengers never break the rules.

Unless and until the people bombard the headquarters and Andy Stuart's email it will get worse.

I have.

The customers of NCL made a whole lot of difference when Del Rio got the message about taking food back to your cabin.

Squawk.....Send emails if you're tired of having the militant, police your water.

You can live without food and alcohol...You can't live without water.

This entire thing about not being able to bring the water of ...YOUR CHOICE...is ludicrous.

All water doesn't taste the same and Aquafina is one of the worst when you have to drink 6-8 a day.

NCL has stepped over the line.

You REALLY think he gets those emails let alone reads them. It would take me about 2 seconds to filter out all the whiners permanently.

This may sound odd but I usually search for different soft drinks that may not be normally available in the US. For instance, flavors of Fanta that may be only available in foreign markets. Sometimes I've brought them home or tried them back in my cabin as an after dinner treat. I'll be disappointed if I get turned away when coming back aboard with what I constitute as a souvenir. If push comes to shove I wonder if they'll let me "check" a bottle of soda like they would a duty free bottle of alcohol.

A few years ago while cruising I picked up a few bottles of Coca-Cola Life six months before it was available in the states. Held my own little "Pepsi Challenge" back in the cabin between regular Mexican Coke and Coca-Cola Life.

This may sound odd but I usually search for different soft drinks that may not be normally available in the US. For instance, flavors of Fanta that may be only available in foreign markets. Sometimes I've brought them home or tried them back in my cabin as an after dinner treat. I'll be disappointed if I get turned away when coming back aboard with what I constitute as a souvenir. If push comes to shove I wonder if they'll let me "check" a bottle of soda like they would a duty free bottle of alcohol.

A few years ago while cruising I picked up a few bottles of Coca-Cola Life six months before it was available in the states. Held my own little "Pepsi Challenge" back in the cabin between regular Mexican Coke and Coca-Cola Life.

If the say you can't check it, ask for an officer and explain that you want them to hold it like a bottle of alcohol and I bet they will do that for you.

BTW, I love Fanta soda, had it the first time in Africa. Glad that a few flavors are available here in the states.

This has zero to do with .....Security.

It's been 15 years since 9/11 and we went through nets around the ship, divers and armed military guarding the ship in ports 2 weeks after. They don't do that anymore.

This is all about MONEY.....by the militant water police (Del Rio) to protect profits.

They may find that people want more choices of bottled water like they want more choices of beer or liquor.

There are 100 choices of beer on the ship and only ONE of water (Aquafina) that has a horrible after taste.

Just like beer, there is a difference in taste, and we have been advised to NOT drink the water in our cabins by past staff.

NCL needs to give us a 'choice'.....At least offer 3 or 4 different brands and size.

We just got off Escape on Saturday and when we were in Tortola approaching the area where we had to show our ID & ship card to get through, a couple had a drink each in their hand and the officer told them they had to finish or throw them away before he would let them through. They didn't even make it to the ship with a drink.

I will add that not having bottled water or soda in our cabin was the biggest PITA we have ever, ever encountered on all our cruises. At night, we had to leave our cabin and hunt down a bar every single time we wanted a drink. This was our 1st NCL cruise and this policy did not change until just days before final payment. What made it even worse was trying to find a bar open at night to get something to drink. The daily would say that the Mixx Bar was open until 10:30pm, but we went by several times before 10pm and they said they were closed. Pissed DH off bad. We have never seen so many bars close up so early on ships.

Edited by jennmaybe

NCL needs to give us a 'choice'.....At least offer 3 or 4 different brands and size.

They may offer different sizes but they probably have little motivation to do so. It's cheaper and more efficient for them to offer only one size. As far as them offering other brands that isn't going to happen. Just like McDonald's they have a contract with one supplier for drinks, in this case Pepsi, and Pepsi isn't going to allow them to bring in a competitor.

They may offer different sizes but they probably have little motivation to do so. It's cheaper and more efficient for them to offer only one size. As far as them offering other brands that isn't going to happen. Just like McDonald's they have a contract with one supplier for drinks, in this case Pepsi, and Pepsi isn't going to allow them to bring in a competitor.

Then why did Del Rio take away bringing our own? It has nothing to do with security nor with their Pepsi so-called contract.

Edited by seashells

Then why did Del Rio take away bringing our own? It has nothing to do with security.
I think, in addition to making addition revenue, it was to stop folks from putting baggage tags on them and having the shore personnel and the ship's personnel from taking the time to screen them and then transport them.

I think folks should be able to bring water and soda on themselves if (1) they transport it themselves with no help from shore or ship personnel and (2) pay the equivalent of what it would cost to purchase it on the ship, as most have said if they have their brand on the ship, they would be happy to purchase it on the ship and (3) if alcohol is found in any container, that person would not be allowed to board the ship. To me, this would be a win win for everyone.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Then why did Del Rio take away bringing our own? It has nothing to do with security nor with their Pepsi so-called contract.

I never said it had anything to do with security. NCL offering other brands of water however does have something to do with their contract with Pepsi.

NCL can say they don't allow water to brought on board because of security but it's a simple money grab. If NCL were to allow you bring your own water on board they would lose a potential revenue stream. Their contracted water supplier isn't going to allow NCL to sell Dasani, or another brand, because that cuts into their profits supplied by NCL. NCL and Pepsi are removing your options in order to get you to pay up.

I think, in addition to making addition revenue, it was to stop folks from putting baggage tags on them and having the shore personnel and the ship's personnel from taking the time to screen them and then transport them.

I think folks should be able to bring water and soda on themselves if (1) they transport it themselves with no help from shore or ship personnel and (2) pay the equivalent of what it would cost to purchase it on the ship, as most have said if they have their brand on the ship, they would be happy to purchase it on the ship and (3) if alcohol is found in any container, that person would not be allowed to board the ship. To me, this would be a win win for everyone.

With the ALL you can drink package...water is not a money maker for them, as they will find out.

Sure they are offering Aquafina (awful tasting) WATER at exorbitant prices, which most will not purchase.

We take our water aboard on a roll about, using no porter nor ship crew. When we see people with water at the port, they are few and far between.

Again, this has nothing to do with security, and NCL is making idiotic decisions by Del Rio lying to it's customers.

. ... I will add that not having bottled water or soda in our cabin was the biggest PITA we have ever, ever encountered on all our cruises. At night, we had to leave our cabin and hunt down a bar every single time we wanted a drink. ...

If you didn't want to drink tap water or the melted ice in the ice bucket you could have purchased the bottled water. Also, there's soda to purchase in the mini-bar fridge. Of course though if you had the UBP those wouldn't be included. In which case you could have brought a drink to your cabin earlier to drink later. The new restrictions do not have to be a pita.

The "security" issue was the time security spent evaluating plastic bottles with screw on caps to make sure they did not contain vodka.

Yes it does, and if NCL had limited the ban to only bottles (the way that CCL did) then most people would accept it, but since the ban also extends to cans one can only think that NCL is indeed attempting to increase onboard revenue through the move. This is likely one of those moves that has more than one reason behind it. (It also would have helped some of the angst if NCL had reduced the price of bottled water onboard.)

If you didn't want to drink tap water or the melted ice in the ice bucket you could have purchased the bottled water. Also, there's soda to purchase in the mini-bar fridge. Of course though if you had the UBP those wouldn't be included. In which case you could have brought a drink to your cabin earlier to drink later. The new restrictions do not have to be a pita.

I would say that someone on vacation shouldn't have to worry about this at all, the cruise line should be accommodating them instead of the other way round.

I think you hit the nail on the head... people became ridiculous with amounts of soda and water they brought on board, cases and cases.. and it did take extra time to scan...

I have no clue why on vacation you'd want to hall something like cases of water on board.. the ship water is great and pure, and if you need water in your cabin during the night, and are afraid to drink the water from the sink, why not just bring on a refillable filter bottle and fill it in the buffet (by using a second glass to do so) and bring it back to your room.

I have no idea why this is such a big deal...

I would say that someone on vacation shouldn't have to worry about this at all, the cruise line should be accommodating them instead of the other way round.

I don't worry about it at all. I use the tap water provided by the ship or I buy bottled water provided by the ship. I have never brought my own sodas aboard. The ship accomodates me by having available what I need.

This is true not only for me, but hundreds of other passengers as well. It does not have to be a worry.

There were a couple of solutions to the poster wanting something to drink at night. My first thought was to have a refillable container and fill it with water or soda just before one retires to their cabin. Second solution, if they didn't like solution one, is to purchase a bottle of water and keep it by their bedside. I don't think NCL should have to accommodate them any more then they have by having water and soda available on the ship. Preparation is the key; if you know you will needs something prepare for that need!

I don't worry about it at all. I use the tap water provided by the ship or I buy bottled water provided by the ship. I have never brought my own sodas aboard. The ship accomodates me by having available what I need.

This is true not only for me, but hundreds of other passengers as well. It does not have to be a worry.

It's not a worry for me either, but NCL seems to be forgetting they are in the hospitality industry. I can certainly understand other people's points of view.

Go ahead and feel free to continue drinking out of the faucet - after reading one of the latest report about sources of drinking water here in the U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/health/chromium-6-in-drinking-water/index.html

This is true when sourcing your bottled municipal water onboard and in ports as places in Oklahoma, Arizona and California have the highest average statewide levels of chromium-6, carcinogenic chemicals in the tap water consumed by 218 millions of Americans, according to this national report released. It's not just a problem in Flint, Michigan.

Prohibitions against bringing one's own choice of soda and bottled water - even in "reasonable" quantities, taken onboard are all about taking away fair choices for the guests while inflating their exclusive pricing scheme in the blind pursuit of profit margin, nothing wrong with that ... I will cheer on the day when NCL reduce their massive inventory of bottled wine to a few and limit the variety of beers & even hard alcohol served. But, of course, that won't happen since it will likely cut their profit margins and trigger cyber-riot here on CC.

P.S. Don't forget to rinse, flush & clean out those plastic, reusable water bottles in between use & air dry them.