Your own wine for dinner

Nangelina

You are correct but those 5-6 ounce pours are not enough for us.

Did I say they were?

I have extensive experience with wine service. Some people will be happy with a three ounce pour and nurse it all night. Others need an entire bottle with a meal. I would never assume that anyone in the party would go either way. That said, if they want to split a single bottle between 10 guests* I try to gently explain that they should consider ordering two bottles, or if they have BYOB'ed I ask if they would like to order something off the list as well.

*Obviously there are times when someone brings a special bottle (such as a birth year bottle) where it's evident that they are well aware that each person in their party will only be getting a small pour. In that case I never suggest additional wine, I've never run into someone in this type of circumstance who didn't order at least enough additional bottles for each person at the table to halve a couple of additional 4-6 ounce pours.

Thanks for all the replays. At first I felt a little cheap about 6 couples each carrying a bottle of wine to the MDR. Seems like a BYOB party! But then after careful consideration, RCCL has started to charge for so many things, I guess it is one way we can control some of our expenses. Although like you said that bottle of wine will be gone with one sitting!

It's "cheap" if you are toting along magnums of Sutter Home White Zinfandel. It's not cheap if you are bringing at least moderate quality wines not on the ship's wine list.

Did I say they were?

I have extensive experience with wine service. Some people will be happy with a three ounce pour and nurse it all night. Others need an entire bottle with a meal. I would never assume that anyone in the party would go either way. That said, if they want to split a single bottle between 10 guests* I try to gently explain that they should consider ordering two bottles, or if they have BYOB'ed I ask if they would like to order something off the list as well.

*Obviously there are times when someone brings a special bottle (such as a birth year bottle) where it's evident that they are well aware that each person in their party will only be getting a small pour. In that case I never suggest additional wine, I've never run into someone in this type of circumstance who didn't order at least enough additional bottles for each person at the table to halve a couple of additional 4-6 ounce pours.

As I clearly posted for us we like a lager pour and not speaking for anyone else. Never even implied that. That's why I agreed with your post of a standard pour.

Thanks for all the replays. At first I felt a little cheap about 6 couples each carrying a bottle of wine to the MDR. Seems like a BYOB party! But then after careful consideration, RCCL has started to charge for so many things, I guess it is one way we can control some of our expenses. Although like you said that bottle of wine will be gone with one sitting!

No problem with each couple bringing a bottle of wine into the dining room to save a little money. A small tip for the server(s) opening the bottle(s) and pouring would be a nice gesture.