Adjusting/amending Gratuities - can you do this at the end of your trip?

HarryKane

Afternoon ya'll!

Say for example if you wish to adjust the Gratuities a little and ask for brown envelopes to give cabin stewards / good bartenders an additional tip in cash, can this be done on the final day of your cruise with carnival? Or do you have to adjust the auto gratuities on your first day and ask for envelopes also on your first day?

The auto grats are added to your sail and sign account right? So these can be increased/decreased or removed alltogether, is that correct?

Edited by HarryKane

Afternoon ya'll!

Say for example if you wish to adjust the Gratuities a little and ask for brown envelopes to give cabin stewards / good bartenders an additional tip in cash, can this be done on the final day of your cruise with carnival? Or do you have to adjust the auto gratuities on your first day and ask for envelopes also on your first day?

The auto grats are added to your sail and sign account right? So these can be increased/decreased or removed alltogether, is that correct?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes, you can have the gratuities removed but it's easy enough to pre-pay them as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/05/harry-kane-tottenham-new-contract

Afternoon ya'll!

Correct, the auto gratuities are charged to your sail and sign account unless they were prepaid. The gratuities can be increased/decreased or removed completely. You can adjust it at anytime during the cruise.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

If you want to increase them, just leave tips in place and hand whoever you want the extra money in your own envelope. Unless of course what you are really asking is can you remove tips then yes you can remove tips at the end of the cruise just go down and tell them you want them removed. Just remember there is no way you can tip everyone that has served you because there are too many people behind the scenes working. So doing it that way cuts out a lot of workers if you are trying to tip in person.

Correct, the auto gratuities are charged to your sail and sign account unless they were prepaid. The gratuities can be increased/decreased or removed completely. You can adjust it at anytime during the cruise.

Ok so can it can be done on the second to last day for example? Does the guest services provide envelopes or do I have to take them with me?

Ive paid for FTTF so I guess I wont have to wait in line to get seen by guest services to sort out amending tips/grats?

Afternoon ya'll!

I see you are from the U.K. Please know if you book with Carnival Australia your gratuities will be included in the cost of your cruise fare and are not adjustable/removable. Australia, like the U.K. is not a tipping culture.

I see you are from the U.K. Please know if you book with Carnival Australia your gratuities will be included in the cost of your cruise fare and are not adjustable/removable. Australia, like the U.K. is not a tipping culture.

I did not book with carnival Australia, but thanks for the heads up!

Ok so can it can be done on the second to last day for example? Does the guest services provide envelopes or do I have to take them with me?

Ive paid for FTTF so I guess I wont have to wait in line to get seen by guest services to sort out amending tips/grats?

Yes, you can adjust/remove them at that time. You can ask guest services for some envelopes. Yes, since you have FTTF you can go to the FTTF line to sort out the tips.

If you want to increase them, just leave tips in place and hand whoever you want the extra money in your own envelope. Unless of course what you are really asking is can you remove tips then yes you can remove tips at the end of the cruise just go down and tell them you want them removed. Just remember there is no way you can tip everyone that has served you because there are too many people behind the scenes working. So doing it that way cuts out a lot of workers if you are trying to tip in person.

I totally agree. Yes, you can adjust or remove your tips. The question really should be should you adjust or remove your tips. This should only be done if you receive sub-par service. Otherwise, you should consider who went above and beyond and reward them accordingly with a little bit of additional cash at the end.

Edited by Schoifmom

I'd do it at the beginning of the cruise. If you do it at the end, all the crew that is supposed to share will be questioned.

For us, it's easier to keep it on our account.

If you do not agree to the tipping policy, book a line that doesn't do gratuities. There are several around.

Edited by SadieN

We normally just pre-pay gratuities, then bring our own envelopes/cash to give to people that we believe went above and beyond.

We do the same except that instead of envelopes we use a florescent post-it note with a personal note on the cash we tip for service above & beyond.

Unless the service was unbelievably bad we'd never remove or lower the gratuities - and if we did (after 13 cruises I can't imagine service that bad) we would want to specifically name who should be shorted and not just a blanket cut or remove. ;)

Hope your ankle injury recovers soon Harry. 😀

This must be the first thread someone has mentioned removing tops and they've not been labelled a cheapskate.

And whilst it's true staff are poorly paid, gratuities are used to pay Carnivals shortfall. I don't agree with the policy, but personally wouldn't short change the staff either.

I often hear some people have said they adjust tips because say a waiter has given them below what's expected service. The folly about that is of course is the individual doesn't lose out because it's a pot that all staff are paid from.

I didn't encounter any service in the dining room (apart from one guy we never saw again) give service warrenting an extra tip. I did give the odd tip to bar staff, but not much. The guy who looked after our room did well though..... €40 + a bottle of rum, vodka, red wine and cava which we brought on but never touched. Hopefully he shared it with his co worker...

<sigh> Of course in the end you will do as you see fit but the tips are part of the cost of the cruise and generally should be looked at that way.

On some cruise lines you'd just be charged more and the tips would be included but Carnival breaks them out separately for you to see.

I know it is difficult to adjust to this tipping idea when you are from a culture where this does not occur but "when in Rome" as they say!

Here's another Gratuities thread. Good info, specifically post #11

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2406839

Why is it always the UK that these questions come from? (she asks rhetorically)

Because we pay staff properly by law. This practice of expecting customers to pay staff through tips is illegal. I know that's a rhetorically difficult concept for some. :p