Adjusting/amending Gratuities - can you do this at the end of your trip?

HarryKane

There is no point in debating whether the USA tipping culture is good or not. The point is that in the USA tipping is the norm and is not "illegal",soooo if you are in the USA or on a ship out of the USA that has this as part of their policy then it would be logical to follow that custom.

In Italy or Japan where tipping is NOT the culture you would not try it there.

The ship allows you to make up your own mind about this as a courtesy to you. It would be courteous of you to take local customs into consideration.

There is no point in debating whether the USA tipping culture is good or not. The point is that in the USA tipping is the norm and is not "illegal",soooo if you are in the USA or on a ship out of the USA that has this as part of their policy then it would be logical to follow that custom.

The ship allows you to make up your own mind about this as a courtesy to you. It would be courteous of you to take local customs into consideration.

It actually is illegal to force someone to pay a tip. That is why it is optional. As a former server, trust me, I wish it wasn't optional. However, I can see why it is optional. If someone doesn't do their job, and they chose a job where their income comes primarily from tips, they shouldn't get a tip

My ship wasnt out of the US and as someone mentioned "when in Rome" there is a touch of irony.

I've already mentioned (several times) my gratuities x 4 were left untouched and extra given. I merely mention the difference to educate some who might not be aware.

What's was interesting whilst in a restaurant on our way from Vesuvius, an American family we travelled with asked if they should leave a tip. It was explained about the differences and how things were different. In their words "we are programmed to leave a tip", which whilst can be conscrued as a measure of generosity they did come to the conclusion in the end they preferred the idea to tip for good service and no need if not.

It's an interesting topic.

It actually is illegal to force someone to pay a tip. That is why it is optional. As a former server, trust me, I wish it wasn't optional. However, I can see why it is optional. If someone doesn't do their job, and they chose a job where their income comes primarily from tips, they shouldn't get a tip

Well said.

Just picking up from one point which I think is quite important and highlights the differences.

What you are terming tips, it call your wages. (It certainly is on carnival anyway). It's not really a reward in the sense of the word. As you said, a tip should be earned and I agree on that point completely. I tip when someone has given great service.

I don't blame anyone in the service industry who make exceptional money on "tips". It obviously suits, even though I do think the wages could end up as far too much for what's being done. My gripe is actually with the employer because in my mind, they are being cheapskates.

Anyway... just a POV... and no one missed out from me on board. :-)

I am one that removes the MDR tips on my account on each sailing. I do not attend the MDR and haven't in 11 cruises. I do take the money saved and give my Steward a double tip if he does the only thing i ask and that is keep my ice bucket full. Tips are broken down to three category on the ship. House keeping, MDR and others.

Well said.

Just picking up from one point which I think is quite important and highlights the differences.

What you are terming tips, it call your wages. (It certainly is on carnival anyway). It's not really a reward in the sense of the word. As you said, a tip should be earned and I agree on that point completely. I tip when someone has given great service.

I don't blame anyone in the service industry who make exceptional money on "tips". It obviously suits, even though I do think the wages could end up as far too much for what's being done. My gripe is actually with the employer because in my mind, they are being cheapskates.

Anyway... just a POV... and no one missed out from me on board. :-)

In America, we HAVE been programmed to leave a tip, because the thought is "the staff DESERVE it". But what they actually deserve is a living wage and exempting the employer from paying them a wage because the should work for "tips" is absurd, but alas, I am only one person.

I am one that removes the MDR tips on my account on each sailing. I do not attend the MDR and haven't in 11 cruises. I do take the money saved and give my Steward a double tip if he does the only thing i ask and that is keep my ice bucket full. Tips are broken down to three category on the ship. House keeping, MDR and others.

Do you leave anything for the buffet servers? During breakfast and lunch some work in the buffet.

In America, we HAVE been programmed to leave a tip, because the thought is "the staff DESERVE it". But what they actually deserve is a living wage and exempting the employer from paying them a wage because the should work for "tips" is absurd, but alas, I am only one person.

I hope I didnt leave an impression I was suggesting staff don't deserve to be paid? But thanks for your reply as it does show you do understand and seem to agree with the point being made.

Calling these charges "gratuities" is inaccurate. Tips are something given to individuals for providing you were above expected service. Since everyone gets given this, by definition in any way you look at this, it is their wages. It really is as simple as that. And no, I wouldn't have a problem if staff wages were inbuilt to the fare. (As you can see from my sig - SS include gratuities in their prices. Tips I DO give on those cruises are always for the right reasons and deserved.

Afternoon ya'll!

Say for example if you wish to adjust the Gratuities a little and ask for brown envelopes to give cabin stewards / good bartenders an additional tip in cash, can this be done on the final day of your cruise with carnival? Or do you have to adjust the auto gratuities on your first day and ask for envelopes also on your first day?

The auto grats are added to your sail and sign account right? So these can be increased/decreased or removed alltogether, is that correct?

just curious... since you are going to remove the auto gratuities regardless of the first day or the last, why would this be a question? Why not remove them on the first day and get it over with? one less thing to think about at the end.

I am not a proponent of removing the gratuities but why wait for the last day even if you can (which you can)

just curious... since you are going to remove the auto gratuities regardless of the first day or the last, why would this be a question? Why not remove them on the first day and get it over with? one less thing to think about at the end.

I am not a proponent of removing the gratuities but why wait for the last day even if you can (which you can)

I never said I plan to remove them completely.

Imagine if you removed them completely on your first day, that would be a really bad move I guess? That would make you a big target for staff!

If you did this would you have to wear a special wristband for the rest of your trip that clearly highlights the fact that you have removed the tips? Surely nobody would risk that! ;)

maybe that was my confusion... you asked for envelopes so I thought you wanted to remove them to give them all cash.

are you saying that you don't want it known that you are giving them cash envelopes? You want to wait to the end where no one would know? If you do plan of tipping, I would remove it at the beginning and let the people know. if you do it at the end as some have said, the staff will be questioned on the level of service they provided that might have caused you to remove them.

If you plan to remove them and not give them anything... well I would respectfully say that you should do it at the beginning and man-up to what the staff would feel about it. If you are giving them all tips... remove it at the beginning so there is no misunderstanding about the level of service you received. Just tell your steward and wait staff so they know. I'm sure they will appreciate cash. IF the only reason is that you want to give cash instead of putting it on auto-gratuity you can also give them some/all upfront.

Edited by hftmrock

maybe that was my confusion... you asked for envelopes so I thought you wanted to remove them to give them all cash.

are you saying that you don't want it known that you are giving them cash envelopes? You want to wait to the end where no one would know? If you do plan of tipping, I would remove it at the beginning and let the people know. if you do it at the end as some have said, the staff will be questioned on the level of service they provided that might have caused you to remove them.

If you plan to remove them and not give them anything... well I would respectfully say that you should do it at the beginning and man-up to what the staff would feel about it. If you are giving them all tips... remove it at the beginning so there is no misunderstanding about the level of service you received. Just tell your steward and wait staff so they know. I'm sure they will appreciate cash. IF the only reason is that you want to give cash instead of putting it on auto-gratuity you can also give them some/all upfront.

Thanks for the advice.

On our most recent cruise we received a letter in the cabin that explained the tips and stated that we could go to Guest Services and add an amount for any crew member that we felt warranted an extra tip. We usually give extra cash to our room steward, but this time we went down to Guest Services and added it to our Sign and Sail. I was a little leery because I wondered if he would actually get the $$, but I also thought that perhaps they were trying to track the performance of their employees, which could possibly lead to promotions.

I still wonder if we did the right thing.

So where do you eat on the ship? do you realize that part of the tip you give goes to staff on Lido deck where I am guessing you are eating?

Pat

I hope I didnt leave an impression I was suggesting staff don't deserve to be paid? But thanks for your reply as it does show you do understand and seem to agree with the point being made.

Calling these charges "gratuities" is inaccurate. Tips are something given to individuals for providing you were above expected service. Since everyone gets given this, by definition in any way you look at this, it is their wages. It really is as simple as that. And no, I wouldn't have a problem if staff wages were inbuilt to the fare. (As you can see from my sig - SS include gratuities in their prices. Tips I DO give on those cruises are always for the right reasons and deserved.

I agree. Just start calling the gratuities a Service Charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So where do you eat on the ship? do you realize that part of the tip you give goes to staff on Lido deck where I am guessing you are eating?

Pat

i go to the Lido and according to Guest services they get theirs from the Other not from the MDR.

Also i am a strong believer in tipping when its better than normal. my cruise paid for normal. Do you tip a cook at a restaurant or the waiter. do you tip the front desk at a hotel or tip the maid.

my steward gets tipped over $15 dollars a day from me and the other workers i give $5 a day in cash. thats much better than any tip they get from a Pool that the ship receives from guests. i am a heavy tipper but only to those that actually interact with me.

i agree that carnival probably considers it part of there pay and thus pays them less but that is up to the person taking the job to negotiate a rate better or find a different job. its the same in all jobs in the world.

when i order drinks i tip in cash to the server as the tips on the receipt only go to the bartender and its up to them if they want to share. I have watched my server and they actually pour my drinks as the bartender mainly only does mixed drinks which i do not partake in.