Vegan

Royal Caribbean is great for vegans and vegetarians. There's Indian food always available - every dinner in main dining has Indian food on the menu, and you can ask for it at other times too. If that night's offering has paneer or something, you can ask for something you enjoyed at a previous meal, you'll get it.

There's also plenty of salad, fruit, and other options. Lots of portobello stuff. You'll have a great time!

I am interested in this also, posting to see if there are more responses. Are there veggie burgers? Non dairy milk? Am I allowed to bring a few granola and protein bars on board? It's not my first cruise, but it will be my first with RCCL and I was vegetarian on previous cruises. Any stir frys or pasta offerings that are vegan? Thanks in advance.

There is more than MEAT on a cruise! There will be plenty to eat...but you might have to ferret it out.

You might want to look up the definition of vegan if you think meat is the only issue.

Not that you ever go back to any thread but the repeated bad information is annoying.

Any advice from vegans when sailing on Royal Caribbean, specifically Liberty of the Seas, but I assume they all have similar foods.

This will be my first ever cruise. I'm more of a mountaineer and long distance backpacker. The food situation is making me a bit nervous.

Need to ask this question so I understand. What do you eat when you are mountaineering and backpacking?

You might want to look up the definition of vegan if you think meat is the only issue.

Not that you ever go back to any thread but the repeated bad information is annoying.

I get that people like to hate cb but there was nothing wrong with what she said. I'm pretty sure the OP can figure out the dairy egg and honey part of the whole part of the OP's diet and won't suddenly think she's been defining vegan all wrong. (of course, the OP did say she would deal with dairy if she has to, so it seems the OP is more flexible than some responders)

cb was being very supportive to the OP, actually.

No offense taken by anyone. I definitely know what vegan is. All I was saying is that I don't mind relaxing my vegan principles a little if it is going to be too difficult to eat pure vegan diet on the ship. I can live with a vegetarian diet for a few days. I'm not going to die from a few animal products. It's vacation after all. I just personally feel better when I stick to a vegan diet so was wondering if anyone could tell me what's available.

To answer a question above. I generally make my own dehydrated foods for backpacking and mountaineering so that I know what is in them.

It was just a question, no agenda. People can eat what they want and I won't be offended. My fiancé eats plenty of meat and milk to make up for my lack of it.

I have a friend who was vegan, until she had her first steak. She's now a total carnivore :p

Anyway, it's been awhile since I sailed RC, but I believe they have vegan choices marked as such on the menu. I know Carnival does this. Being willing to go vegetarian will definitely expand your choices, but you should be able to find vegan choices.

You can always speak to the dining staff, and let them know you require vegan choices.

Many of the drinks are vegan! ;)

Good luck, and happy cruising :D

Edited by VASOXFANN

I have a friend who was vegan, until she had her first steak. She's now a total carnivore :p

Anyway, it's been awhile since I sailed RC, but I believe they have vegan choices marked as such on the menu. I know Carnival does this. Being willing to go vegetarian will definitely expand your choices, but you should be able to find vegan choices.

You can always speak to the dining staff, and let them know you require vegan choices.

Many of the drinks are vegan! ;)

Good luck, and happy cruising :D

I've never seen any menu item marked as vegan. Vegetarian yes, vegan no.

Any advice from vegans when sailing on Royal Caribbean, specifically Liberty of the Seas, but I assume they all have similar foods.

This will be my first ever cruise. I'm more of a mountaineer and long distance backpacker. The food situation is making me a bit nervous.

While not strict mrs Gut tries to follow a vegan diet, no harder at sea than in land she says.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips, and for satisfying my curiosity.

The opposite of your friend above, I was a total carnivore until I got cancer in 2007. I am vegan because it keeps me healthy. It was an adjustment for sure and I still love the smell of bacon even if I don't eat it. :)

Happy cruising!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips, and for satisfying my curiosity.

The opposite of your friend above, I was a total carnivore until I got cancer in 2007. I am vegan because it keeps me healthy. It was an adjustment for sure and I still love the smell of bacon even if I don't eat it. :)

Happy cruising!

Glad you're now healthy! Meat would be so hard to give up, but your health is the most important thing, it sounds like you are doing it right! :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

I sailed on Liberty with my vegan daughter. As well as Freedom. You will. It go hungry. But I can honestly tell you she never really enjoyed her food. The head waiter came over every night to check on her. They just brought her a vegan dish each night but she had no choice. And sometimes it was just not good. But she always asked for an extra baked potato every night.

She was told to eat lunch in the mdr on at sea days but she didn't want to. Lunch was a lot of veg sushi and salad and rice. Breakfast was oatmeal and fruit which she really likes anyway.

So in summary, was her belly full? Yes. Did she enjoy it? Not really. The desserts they brought her were mostly inedible. A bowl of lemon curd ? But they did make her a vegan chocolate once.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise ! It is doable.

My son Chris is a true vegan and has been for the past 7 years; he is 25. He has been on 4 cruises since turning 17 and never had an issue with the MDR or the buffett. Let your waiter know the first day and they can prepare just about anything you eat now. My son loved the Indian challa masala, the vegan burritos, tacos, potatoes, and great tasting pasta dishes. Turned out our table of ten like the Indian food also.

For vegetarian cruisers you may want to be aware, we have sailed Celebrity many times and on our recent cruise saw Parmesan in a vegetarian dish. Eventually it was confirmed by the chef that hardly any cheese on the ship is vegetarian as it contains animal rennet (from calves stomach) however cheese is included in about 70% of the dishes marked as being vegetarian. As Celebrity and Royal use the same food suppliers I'm guessing if a dish on Royal is marked as Vegetarian but includes cheese then it has non vegetarian cheese in it so it isn't vegetarian. Waiting staff know very little about this and if you ask if a cheese is vegetarian the answer is usually 'it's just cheese'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sailed on Liberty with my vegan daughter. As well as Freedom. You will [not] go hungry. But I can honestly tell you she never really enjoyed her food. The head waiter came over every night to check on her. They just brought her a vegan dish each night but she had no choice. And sometimes it was just not good. But she always asked for an extra baked potato every night.

She was told to eat lunch in the mdr on at sea days but she didn't want to. Lunch was a lot of veg sushi and salad and rice. Breakfast was oatmeal and fruit which she really likes anyway.

So in summary, was her belly full? Yes. Did she enjoy it? Not really. The desserts they brought her were mostly inedible. A bowl of lemon curd ? But they did make her a vegan chocolate once.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise ! It is doable.

I'm vegan and this is consistent with my experience, including two RCCL cruises last month. It's possible to eat vegan but they have little clue about how to prepare tasty vegan dishes. Best strategy, in my opinion, is to ask for Indian vegetarian food with no dairy and no honey. (The Indian vegetarian concept excludes eggs.)