Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

I passed by your house in April when I took the train from Ealing to York and then York to Manchester.

Ha ha actually the train from London to York passes within a mile of our house as we are 50 miles from York.

BTW my DH is called Matthew and bet you can't figure out my name....

Seriously though safe travels to everyone who is making the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ha ha actually the train from London to York passes within a mile of our house as we are 50 miles from York.

BTW my DH is called Matthew and bet you can't figure out my name....

Seriously though safe travels to everyone who is making the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had a wonderful time and met a lot of great people traveling from Southampton to Salisbury to Ealing to Windsor Castle, back to Ealing to York and then to Manchester. I'm ready to do it all again.

Hello everyone

I need your help ...

I invited to all whole my family a cruise for the first time on Saturday at ncl from Miami.

The original plan was an invitation of flights from Long Island to fll tomorrow, but today we received notice that southwest canceled all flights.

For now, the cruise on Saturday is on and currently I have a big problem how to get to Miami?

There are just few flights to the miami for the whole family that comes over 2500 dollars!

I would welcome any suggestion or idea how I get a rational way with a all my family to Miami and don't lose the Cruise ....

All suggestions are welcome, thanks a lot.

Ofer

Dang! You need to start your own thread on this topic and quick. Personally, I'd be back on the phone with Southwest to see if they will rebook you into West Palm (PBI) if not FLL.

Hello everyone

I need your help ...

I invited to all whole my family a cruise for the first time on Saturday at ncl from Miami.

The original plan was an invitation of flights from Long Island to fll tomorrow, but today we received notice that southwest canceled all flights.

For now, the cruise on Saturday is on and currently I have a big problem how to get to Miami?

There are just few flights to the miami for the whole family that comes over 2500 dollars!

I would welcome any suggestion or idea how I get a rational way with a all my family to Miami and don't lose the Cruise ....

All suggestions are welcome, thanks a lot.

Ofer

You could do a one-way rental of a van and hit the road now, you'd still make it if you drive through, rotating drivers. You could drive to where there are flights available. You could fly into somewhere south where they are getting flights like Tampa and then do a one-way rental, drop at MIA and cab to the cruise. I wouldn't let this hiccup stop me, your return tickets should still be good.

Best of luck!

You could do a one-way rental of a van and hit the road now, you'd still make it if you drive through, rotating drivers. You could drive to where there are flights available. You could fly into somewhere south where they are getting flights like Tampa and then do a one-way rental, drop at MIA and cab to the cruise. I wouldn't let this hiccup stop me, your return tickets should still be good.

Best of luck!

This is what DH and I just did, only we left yesterday afternoon (from NJ). We are at my mother's in SC (west side) and will be leaving shortly for the drive to Miami following a western route. The cost of the one way rental car with Enterprise was $10/day and unlimited mileage... I couldn't believe how cheap. They said they were repositioning cars to the area so good deal for us! We can still fly home after the cruise and will be refunded the outbound flight.

Edited by TenForward

This is what DH and I just did, only we left yesterday afternoon (from NJ). We are at my mother's in SC (west side) and will be leaving shortly for the drive to Miami following a western route. The cost of the one way rental car with Enterprise was $10/day and unlimited mileage... I couldn't believe how cheap. They said they were repositioning cars to the area so good deal for us! We can still fly home after the cruise and will be refunded the outbound flight.

You were smart to do this. Safe travels. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's unusual because we usually get too many rental cars stuck down here in Florida and the rental agencies offer the good deals going the other way after Easter.

Are you sure there is no drop charge once you get here?

How refreshing, though, to hear from someone who is not handwringing, blaming the cruise lines and sitting around waiting for someone else to solve their travel problems.

That's unusual because we usually get too many rental cars stuck down here in Florida and the rental agencies offer the good deals going the other way after Easter.

Are you sure there is no drop charge once you get here?

How refreshing, though, to hear from someone who is not handwringing, blaming the cruise lines and sitting around waiting for someone else to solve their travel problems.

They need to get the cars down there for the winter. Then they reverse the process at Easter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Matthew will be non event from palm beach county South. By tomorrow morning everything will be back to normal. No need to panic

Sent from my SM-N930V using Forums mobile app

In my opinion, a dumb and dangerous thing to say. Hurricanes are notorious for doing exactly opposite what experts say. If a Cat 4 storm is anywhere near you, have a tank full of gas, a couple days of food packed, a exit route planned and watch the radar carefully. Born and raised in Tampa, I saw all kinds of crazy twists and turns. Elena comes to mind!

In my opinion, a dumb and dangerous thing to say. Hurricanes are notorious for doing exactly opposite what experts say. If a Cat 4 storm is anywhere near you, have a tank full of gas, a couple days of food packed, a exit route planned and watch the radar carefully. Born and raised in Tampa, I saw all kinds of crazy twists and turns. Elena comes to mind!

No, it was a non-event in South Florida and that was what was obvious last night.

Perfectly said. We were not supposed to get hit with Charley (you were), but it turned last minute and slammed us! It also went from a Cat 1 to a Cat 5 ('they' say 4, it was right on the border) in under 30 minutes. I never play with hurricanes.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

Perfectly said. We were not supposed to get hit with Charley (you were), but it turned last minute and slammed us! It also went from a Cat 1 to a Cat 5 ('they' say 4, it was right on the border) in under 30 minutes. I never play with hurricanes.

Charley was a dozen years ago when the forecast technology wasn't like it is today. The poster he was criticizing was reporting the facts live as they didn't happen as a response to getting to the ports today. No one was talking about not preparing, they were reporting the reality.

You think the forecast technology has improved so much? I don't.

As of a few days ago Matthew was supposed to hit Miami, wasn't it? It didn't.

It was supposed to be a Cat. 2, having been weakened by going over Haiti and Cuba....

And no one a few days ago predicted the curve we're seeing now.

Last night they still didn't know if it would make landfall north of you or just skirt the coast.

I think they're still in the educated guessing phase .... most of the time they can't predict if it's going to be sunny tomorrow. :p

Edited by mafig

Charley was a dozen years ago when the forecast technology wasn't like it is today. The poster he was criticizing was reporting the facts live as they didn't happen as a response to getting to the ports today. No one was talking about not preparing, they were reporting the reality.

Funny thing about "technology". It always perfect(best ever) right now. A dozen years ago, I`ll bet they said The Exact Same Thing.

There is No "reality" to Hurricanes or weather prediction. Finally, I was not criticizing the poster, only what the poster wrote in one particular post.

Funny thing about "technology". It always perfect(best ever) right now. A dozen years ago, I`ll bet they said The Exact Same Thing.

There is No "reality" to Hurricanes or weather prediction. Finally, I was not criticizing the poster, only what the poster wrote in one particular post.

You said it was a dumb and dangerous thing to say. You were wrong becaue it was posted at 6:38 PM at a time it was apparent it was a not event here on the ground in South Florida.

You owe jg1007 an apology for interjecting your dumb opinion from so far away.

I just heard from my parents who are on the NCL Escape. The cruise is heading back to the Port of Miami and should be back by tomorrow morning. They were close enough to an island to receive cell signal.

Edited by MP&MP

If anyone is driving down on the west side (Tampa/alligator alley way), please post what you are seeing. We plan on leaving Atlanta tomorrow morning around 3am to drive down straight since there are no hotels now.

If you could help by posting some things I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Biggest thing I am worried about is GAS along I-75 in Florida. Right now I'm figuring filling up in Valdosta and making it down to Ft. Myers area before filling up again. However I won't let it get below half a tank if possible before refilling if I see there will be trouble getting gas in FL.

2. The other thing is just sheer volume of traffic. I'm hoping by leaving early and hitting Florida around 7ish, that I can avoid a lot of that since hopefully people will be staying and eating before getting on the road back to home. I know I would if I was in a safe hotel.

Also, any advice on good parking for $10/day or so would be appreciated. To everyone, have a safe travel down. If you're the praying type we could sure use them too. This is looking doable now that we know where the storm will be on our trip.

just want to chime in on the mention that "your return tickets should still be good."...

this is 100% not correct. the airline will cancel your return if you miss your first flight. so do NOT rely on having a return ticket if you don't notify them in advance.

You need to actually cancel off the first segments of your flight to keep your ticket valid. if you no-show on a flight, the rest of the ticket auto-cancels.

Double check with your airline. On Delta if you miss the first half of your flight, the return portion is automatically cancelled.:(

Good Luck.

Brad

If anyone is driving down on the west side (Tampa/alligator alley way), please post what you are seeing. We plan on leaving Atlanta tomorrow morning around 3am to drive down straight since there are no hotels now.

If you could help by posting some things I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Biggest thing I am worried about is GAS along I-75 in Florida. Right now I'm figuring filling up in Valdosta and making it down to Ft. Myers area before filling up again. However I won't let it get below half a tank if possible before refilling if I see there will be trouble getting gas in FL.

2. The other thing is just sheer volume of traffic. I'm hoping by leaving early and hitting Florida around 7ish, that I can avoid a lot of that since hopefully people will be staying and eating before getting on the road back to home. I know I would if I was in a safe hotel.

Also, any advice on good parking for $10/day or so would be appreciated. To everyone, have a safe travel down. If you're the praying type we could sure use them too. This is looking doable now that we know where the storm will be on our trip.

I'll do my best from the little I know. Hopefully, someone else can fill in the blanks.

We live 20 miles north of Ft. Myers.

Last night all of our local stations (on Rt. 41 were out of gas, except for diesel.

However, on our local news they were saying that gas was supposed to be delivered to the stations today. Many of the people who evacuated to this area are already on their way back to Miami.

I don't know the gas situation (or the traffic situation) on Rt 75.

I would just mention there's only one gas station on Alligator Alley (although it's a big one). They were almost out of gas last night.

Hopefully someone can provide you with more info.

The weather on the west coast is fine .... partly cloudy, a little breezy.

Good luck!:)

Double check with your airline. On Delta if you miss the first half of your flight, the return portion is automatically cancelled.:(

Good Luck.

Brad

I'm pretty certain this is true on Southwest as well. I made it halfway through a flight last year before getting stuck because of radar or air traffic control being down.

When I finally spoke to a representative they were relieved that I had booked my return flight separately since that made my refund easier to process. I was told that if you don't complete your first flight, the rest of the flight is null and void.

So definitely check with your airline before assuming your return flight will still be valid. I now always book my flights separately just to make sure I'm never stuck in this situation.

Good luck!

Edited by brookie848

All right, here's the Orlando area weather. Rainy and windy, no big deal. I live 30 minutes from coast. There is still a very annoying road curfew on that they have not lifted yet. We wish they would lift it bc we'd like to check on our site on Merritt Island and our elderly in laws wish to return home to Cocoa Beach area. As I said a long time ago, escape will be fine. As everyone keeps telling you that lives in the area , it did not hit south Florida. It was supposed to come ashore by port Canaveral, it did not. We are lucky and it stayed off the coast. Gas stations are being refueled. I was able to easily get gas, I passed 6?in a row with gas on my way home from work last evening. Traffic will be bad but moving.

Thanks, that scares me a bit I guess but I'll just have to try and keep the needle over half then.

Also, great info on the returning flights. That would be bad to end up having your ticket cancelled after going through all this.

I'm pretty certain this is true on Southwest as well. I made it halfway through a flight last year before getting stuck because of radar or air traffic control being down.

When I finally spoke to a representative they were relieved that I had booked my return flight separately since that made my refund easier to process. I was told that if you don't complete your first flight, the rest of the flight is null and void.

So definitely check with your airline before assuming your return flight will still be valid. I now always book my flights separately just to make sure I'm never stuck in this situation.

Good luck!

it's that way with every airline because of the booking systems that the airlines use.

if a segment isn't traveled on, it auto cancels the entire ticket.