Cozumel suggestions (not shore excursion)

kg4pvowife

We are taking my Mom, Step-dad and 20 year-old Niece on a cruise in November. Ports are Cozumel and Grand Cayman. They don't want to spend the cash on lavish shore excursions, but I don't want them to risk getting turned around in a foreign country while the hubby, daughter and I are separated from them on our own shore excursions.

Their idea of a nice port 'excursion' is laying out on the beach and people watching, potentially doing a bit of shopping and grabbing a bite to eat with a drink or two. I think we will recommend the Paradise Beach Club in Grand Cayman, but not sure where to steer them in Cozumel. Suggestions?

Here' an excerpt of my review of one of the ports (Cozumel) from our Oasis Easter cruise:

This was the best decision made on this cruise. My daughter, even though w a bit sunburned at Labadee, wanted to go to a beach. Looked at the beach tour, but was very expensive, especially with 3 small children who pay as much as an adult, eg: Playa Maya beach excursions.

from CC I was able to get an evaluation of some of the Cozumel beach areas. Opted for Paradise Beach. This is truly a-la-carte. Getting to the taxi area was a zoo. In past cruises we try to disembark as early as possible and avoid this nightmare. This time we were a bit late and not only Mex. Customs slowed the process down, but the lines to taxis snaked all over the place. Finally reached the front and asked for a van. A bargain, a flat $30 + grats.

It took us approximately 12 minutes to get there. Once arrived, a staff member advised us that it’s $3 per (avoided pay for the 2 smallest children) and included lounge chairs and umbrellas, plus the pool. The caveat, need to spend $10 per on food/drink. This was easily accomplished. Did not expect much regarding food, but it was absolutely good. We ordered chips with salsa, beef tacos, Quesos and chicken fingers for the children. Was surprised that the chicken fingers contained about 8-9 large pieces with french fries. Some of us ordered beer( Sol & Tecata) & others sodas. A very unusual situation—Ginger ale was in cans, but diet or regular Pepsi was from the fountain. Along the way, we saw some diners with canned sodas and could not understand why. We found out later, that the staff person assigned to us was associated with the bar, while others were associated with the restaurant—unusual arrangement. My SIL, at $18 each for of his children got the usage of beach inflatables, kayaks, and many other diverse beach toys. Worth every cent.

The pool was included in the $3 price and it was large, clean and one could swim up to the bar. We took advantage of both the beach and pool. Overall a great experience.

One down side was the plethora of seaweeds washing ashore. There was a storm the day before that caused this situation. This was up & down the entire beach area. However, if you went 20 feet in the water, no weeds were apparent. I walked the pier that is adjacent to the beach and it stretches some 150 ft. and the water was crystal clear.

Bottom line, for $200 we had a great beach day. One of the beach excursion via RCL would cost us $450+ for the same experience.

Nelblu....you forgot about the pristine bathrooms, the parrot, free wi-fi..shops...massages...on and on. Lol

As far as cost for the two of us:

private taxi: $14 each way. Total $28

entrance fee $3 each Total $6

loungers/umbrella $10 each Total $20

Grand Total $54 for a glorious Day:):):)

We like the beach club called Nachi Cocom. Cost us $55pp and includes all you can drink, lunch, pool with swim up bar, loungers, and shade.

You may also wish to post on the Cozumel forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

We also like Nachi Cocum. Nice beach, chairs and shade included, waiter service on the beach or you can walk over to the dining area and sit at a table. The best part is that it is not crowded. They admit only 100 people per day.

Nelblu....you forgot about the pristine bathrooms, the parrot, free wi-fi..shops...massages...on and on. Lol

We are headed there in December. I can't wait!!

We usually go to Chukanaab National Park where there is a variety of things to do. If you download coupon from the internet, entrance fee is $19. There is a sandy beach, a snorkeling area and a pool. You can also go into the botanical gardens with replica Myan ruins. There is a sea lion show. You can pay extra to swim with the dolphins, manatees or zip line. They have other wildlife to view and many beach chairs under palapas. Take a taxi right from the port and there are taxis waiting to take you back to the port when you are ready.

There were 9 of us and needed the van. Loungers were gratis and did not need umbrellas as there was plenty of shade from the many trees.

There were 9 of us and needed the van. Loungers were gratis and did not need umbrellas as there was plenty of shade from the many trees.

No, I understood you had a large party (and what a great final price for 9 people) I just wanted to give a 2 person party comparison in price. :)

Mr. Sanchos offers an all inclusive day, or a la carte options. It is our go to place in Cozumel. In Grand Cayman when we go to the beach we either go to Royal Palms Beach Club or Calico Jacks. Both are a la carte. If you reserve a cabana at Royal Palms it includes the admission and the chairs.

Edited by DebJ14

Another vote here for Chankanaab. Yes, a few dollars more than the other places, but we think is worth it. Its part of the national park system, and the facilities are extensive and extremely CLEAN. Never crowded, they can get a (free) lean-to with lounge chairs with reasonably-priced bar and food service and just chill, or take advantage of a show, or tequila tasting. Take a look at the website - you can't go wrong there.

I can't make mind up on Paradise Beach vs Mr Sanchos for our day on Cozumel late October. I can work out the price difference based on Paradise Beach entrance fee and checking their bar/food menu price against the $55 Mr Sanchos all inclusive adult price ($40 for our teenager), but can anyone tell me any other considerations, e.g. best beach, pool, other activities.

Many thanks.

We are considering this next month. Usually do Nachi Cocom but only there for a short day so just want to spend the morning on the beach.

I'm a little confused about the pricing though. I understand there is a $3 entrance fee but thought that the loungers and umbrellas were free

However, I also read there is a $10 each charge for food, so how do they enforce this? Do they actually charge everyone $13 each which includes entrance and lounger and a $10 credit towards the bar/food?

We are considering this next month. Usually do Nachi Cocom but only there for a short day so just want to spend the morning on the beach.

I'm a little confused about the pricing though. I understand there is a $3 entrance fee but thought that the loungers and umbrellas were free

However, I also read there is a $10 each charge for food, so how do they enforce this? Do they actually charge everyone $13 each which includes entrance and lounger and a $10 credit towards the bar/food?

You have the option. The first time we were there, we did not know. We brought water and snacks and really did not want any food...so we just paid the $10pp fee to rent the chairs and umbrella's. The second and third time, we agreed to buy at least $10pp in food and/or drinks and got the loungers and umbrella's free. The attendant puts a menu on your little table and when you are ready to order something, you just flag a server down. We each had 2 beers, I had Quesadilla's and hubby had Ceveche. (yummy). I believe the bill came to $32. You don't even have to rent anything if you don't want to. You can just lay on the sand on your beach towels, however everything is all set up with loungers, so not too much room for this.

I have yet to go to the other beaches recommended here and they all sound wonderful. Maybe we will try Mr. Sancho's/Nachi's one day. I think it is all about the atmosphere perhaps? Mr. Sancho's/Nachi's sounds like a heavenly, peaceful experience, as they only allow 100 people. Paradise Beach is a fun, Caribbean music playing, atmosphere. :):):)

Edited by champagne123
ffff

Is gratuity included in the all-inclusive resorts? If not, how is it handled?

Travis, pretty much everyone would like a tip when you are on a cruise vacation. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

If we are at an AI with one attendant, we tip at the end of the day.

Tipping is a personal matter. You have to decide what or how much you wish to tip.

I thought Paradise Beach Club was in Grand Cayman:o...so now I guess I need suggestions for Grand Cayman beaches:p

Royal Palms beach is a 5 minute taxi ride from the terminal in Grand Cayman. Very inexpensive beach day. Paradise Beach is in Cozumel, a 15 minute taxi ride from the terminal, and also a very inexpensive beach day. We'll be there next month:D

Travis, pretty much everyone would like a tip when you are on a cruise vacation. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

If we are at an AI with one attendant, we tip at the end of the day.

Tipping is a personal matter. You have to decide what or how much you wish to tip.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm on the Independence this December for my very first cruise ever - just booked it. And thanks for the information.

We have been to Cozumel multiple times and I like to try something different each time (with the exception of going to Chankanaab because we liked it that much).

I do pretty extensive reviews with TONS of pictures. If you are interested in seeing any of them to get a better feel of what they look like (even if only to scroll the pictures), you can click on the links in my signature line to each place. :)