Keeping in touch with family

DGSD

Good evening,

I'm wondering how cruisers keep in touch with family other than email while aboard the ship. If I want to use Skype, do I need the surf and stream Voom package, or just surf?

Thanks!

If you want to use video, best to get the stream package.

Somebody quite some time ago invented a gadget called a telephone. It seems to work very well when you want to contact another person somewhere on planet earth.

Strangely, it seems that many cruisers either do not understand how to operate it, or cannot afford to use it.

This is the 21st century, is it not?

Is there a particular reason you need to stay in touch with your family? Sick family member, perhaps? Unless you absolutely need to be in touch with them, you will find it an expensive proposition. I give my family the number to reach me in the event of an emergency, and leave it at that. So far, in over 20 cruises since 2001, no one has called me and I haven't called them.

Roz

Skype and Voip generally don't work on cruise ships because of slow speeds and very narrow bandwidth. Cell phones are much better if you absolutely have to keep in touch. We've tried to use Skype on many ships and it's never worked.

I will have young kids at home and would like to be able to "see them" once in a while over a 2 week period. I wasn't sure if I should buy the the surf, surf/stream, or wait until ports for free WiFi. I appreciate those of you that had actual experiences and helpful advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I'll be in the same situation as you later this month so thank you for asking! On my cruise a couple years ago I wasn't as worried because my husband was home-it worked fine to just check in when we were in port with Internet cafes. This time, he'll be with me and I definitely will want to be able to check in with them a little more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have young kids at home and would like to be able to "see them" once in a while over a 2 week period. I wasn't sure if I should buy the the surf, surf/stream, or wait until ports for free WiFi. I appreciate those of you that had actual experiences and helpful advice.

Wait til in port, it'd be a waste on the boat. You'd only see blurry images of each other. If you have T-Mobile most ports are free data/calls anyway so don't even need wi-fi.

What about on-ship texting? My wife and I use text to find each other in stores. Would be handy to have something similar on the ship. We're not worried about keeping in contact with the rest of the world, just the two of us while on the ship. Does that sort of service exist?

What about on-ship texting? My wife and I use text to find each other in stores. Would be handy to have something similar on the ship. We're not worried about keeping in contact with the rest of the world, just the two of us while on the ship. Does that sort of service exist?

You don't mention which ship your on, but some cruise line have an app that'll allow you to use your cell phone (on wifi only mode). With the app you can also check your account balance, make reservations.

There maybe a charge. NCL charges about $8 per device for the duration of the cruise. This is all separate from the internet service.

We don't care. We carry a burner in case we get stranded but if someone wan't us the ship has a telephone number someone can call in an Emergency. ( When the dog barks all night it is not an Emergency people!) Actual 911 call Tracy California in 1980s. The lady said she had to get up at 0730 so it was an emergency.

Wasn't your wife with us when we left the dock?

Edited by WupperAV

If you have T-Mobile you simply wait until you get within about 10 miles of shore (just about anywhere in the world) and you can then text or telephone...usually at LTE speeds. No need to pay the ridiculous prices charged on ships...for what is usually awful internet connections.

Hank

If you have T-Mobile you simply wait until you get within about 10 miles of shore (just about anywhere in the world) and you can then text or telephone...usually at LTE speeds. No need to pay the ridiculous prices charged on ships...for what is usually awful internet connections.

Hank

^^^^^

That's why I have T-Mobile. I remember making a call once 11 miles off shore from Italy. Now it will be more expensive per minute, but far less than the ship.

^^^^^

That's why I have T-Mobile. I remember making a call once 11 miles off shore from Italy. Now it will be more expensive per minute, but far less than the ship.

It should not be very expensive. Most of their plans give you calls (from most countries) for 20 cents a min. Text and data are generally free.

Hank

We just add an international calling package with 200 minutes in it to one phone only. Never data and outside of the US or US calling areas data is way more expensive than calling. Why text when you can call. If they just gotta call you give them the ships number and let them know it is $3.95 or more on their end to talk. Basically there is only one thing that would get us off a ship before the end, all other things can be handled or will wait till we get back. Oh, and yes we carry travel insurance in case anything happens to us. We go on cruises to get away from the things at home and to get our rejuvenation back.

Good evening,

I'm wondering how cruisers keep in touch with family other than email while aboard the ship. If I want to use Skype, do I need the surf and stream Voom package, or just surf?

Thanks!

I have two suggestions. First, I have no idea what the internet (?) packages are that you name. But whatever, I would you suggest you buy the cheapest, then upgrade if it doesn't meet your needs.

Second, do not call home. Do not Skype, do not email. It is your vacation, you have probably paid a lot of money for it, you have a rare chance to get away on your own... Those at home will have the ship's emergency number. They will let you know if there is anything that happened that you and only you can do anything about. (You should instruct them: don't bug me if somebody breaks their arm or doesn't like the pizza you ordered. Deal with it. I will be 2000 miles away.) This strategy has two advantages. You get to relax and enjoy. And since the back homers haven't been constantly updated throughout your trip, they will have a lot of neat stories about your adventures to listen to once you get home. If you must absolutely must Skype and/or call and just can't bear to be away from home for more than a few hours, don't waste port time. Go out and explore and have some adventures and build some memories that you will be able to share once you get back.

We're all different. Some people want to keep in touch with loved ones at home and others don't want to be bothered with what's going on at home. For me, I wouldn't enjoy my vacation if I just gave my kids the ship's emergency number and said I'll see you in 10 days. I've talked to my kids everyday of their lives, even if it's just a text saying goodnight when I'm traveling. That's the way my family works. Some others are fine traveling and not being in touch with family. To each their own. What works for one may not work for another...