Live From the Royal Princess 8 Oct. 2016 Transatlantic

traveling1969

Another relaxing sea day. I need it after the beating I took at the poker table last night:eek:. Joyce did well though, squeezing out a profit of $120 at the slots.

The seas kicked up a bit and so did the creaking and banging in our cabin. Sounded like a bad fun house ride. Didn't keep us awake but didn't make for a relaxing sleep either.

The meet and mingle was this morning. No ship's representatives in evidence due to prior commitments or pressing duties. I invited those present to post their impressions here so hopefully traffic will increase.

Center stairs not yet open so we'll see. They have fixed one of the other design flaws though. In the men's restrooms, the door frames in the closed stalls had wood from floor to ceiling. When there was water on the floor, it wicked up the legs and after only 2 months in service, these were beginning to rot! They have now been encased in stainless steel. Whether they are rotting within or have been replaced with a more durable material I do not know. They certainly look much better though.

Today is the first Pub Lunch. May go and get a fish and chip fix. Another sad note: with the medallions of beef missing from the always available menu we had hoped for a similar substitution but alas no beef always available unless you count the all-beef hamburgers :rolleyes:.

Just finished book #4 for the cruise. I brought along my stash of Robert A. Heinlein paperbacks and after finishing them I have been salting them in the lounges around the ship with a view toward sharing the wealth. Hope they are enjoyed.

Joyce and I have the drink package and we have been keeping sort of an informal tally to see if it is worth purchasing on future cruises. It was included as a booking bonus for this cruise. So far it's been close to a wash as the drinks, specialty coffees, waters and after-dinner aperitifs have been averaging in the $50 to $60 per day range. Off to lunch; so long for now.

Harry

Harry,

The Captains circle rep said that there are 819 elites.

MTP is 1800 days

Top 40 cutoff is like 740 days.

The Fetuccini Alfredo is/was served the other night without the cheese basket. It was served in a normal bowl. When asked about it, the server said that they had discontinued the cheese basket. Just reporting what we were told.

Harry,

The Fetuccini Alfredo is/was served the other night without the cheese basket. It was served in a normal bowl. When asked about it, the server said that they had discontinued the cheese basket. Just reporting what we were told.

Thank U

We are on this TA. Sorry some people had trouble with TV'S etc. We are on Emerald deck and haven't had any.

Dining: The beef is the best quality we ever had in 12 cruises. Talked to the head waiter and he said it's from Argentina and the difference is the chef.The food in the Horizon court is excellent also. Haven't tried any other venues.

We did a Princess excursion to Aix. Beautiful scenery interesting town and had a great lunch. Good thing my husband and I shared a 3 course.

Missed the M&G today for the 1st. time. Exhausted after walking in Rome for 3 days and full day tours at the other ports.

Cooler weather than other years. 14 C in morning 18 -20 C. afternoon.

Hello, can you tell me who the Chef is? I haven't ordered steaks in a few years because it is so bad. I will be on the Royal next March for a 10 day Carribbean, and of course the chefs could be different, but still curious who you have on this cruise.

Thanks.

Harry,

MTP is 1800 days

Wow... I'll never stand a chance.:(

Harry,

MTP is 1800 days

Thank you for that info. I was a bit skeptical of that 2000+ figure but that is what we were told.

Goat cheese and salsa in the Elite event tonight. Tomorrow some more of that great steak tartare.

So long for now.

Harry

Thank you for that info. I was a bit skeptical of that 2000+ figure but that is what we were told.

Goat cheese and salsa in the Elite event tonight. Tomorrow some more of that great steak tartare.

So long for now.

Harry

On the Regal two weeks ago MTP was couple with both over 2200 days.

MTP is 1800 days

On the Royal's inaugural TA in 2013 there were over 1200 elite level passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On the Royal's inaugural TA in 2013 there were over 1200 elite level passengers.

We were on that cruise as well and our first laundry took 4+days to return:eek:.

A big Royal Princess shout out to our friends Donna and Dave, Joan and Tom, Deb and Bru, and Patty and Ron. Wish you all were here. What a party that would be :D.

Seas are moderating somewhat. Forecast for tomorrow at Ponta Delgada is for high of 68, chance of rain in the morning and mostly cloudy in the afternoon. We have encountered more cloudy skies and rain on this T/A then ever before at this time of year. No biggie though; still having a ball. So long for now.

Harry

Hello again,

I would be remiss if I didn't send a special hello to those folks who make it possible for us to cruise. If you have pets, you know who I'm talking about. Those folks who look after our loved ones while we are at sea. In our case it is Bill and Marie . They look after our girls and without them we would not be able to have all these fantastic experiences. I salute them and thank them from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Harry

The parmesan bowls were alive and well on our September Regal transatlantic. In fact, the head chef (or whatever his title was) gave a demonstration on how to make them on one of the last sea days. I don't think they'd do that if they were 86ing them.

Jim

We were on the Aug. 30 Baltic and the Sept. 10 TA on the Regal. DH had the Alfredo as an appetizer numerous times and it came in the cheese bowl every time. We've never seen the appetizer portion served in the bowl on previous cruises. In fact, many nights he ordered it just for the bowl!

We are on this cruise on the Royal Princess as well. Ordered the Fettuccine Alfredo in a parmasaen bowl as an main dish and it came as ordered.

Today is a beautiful day in the Azores.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Darn, Ours didn't the other night. Oh well, different server, different answer. That was to be expected. Thanks for the update. And Yes, Today was wa wonderful day in the Azores.

Last port of call until Ft. Lauderdale. The day started out with scattered showers but by 11am, partly cloudy and the temps were in the high 60's. We've been here several times so we just strolled about town for a couple hours.

Stopped at the shops on the pier and found some nice tiles framed on cork at very nice prices. The same items downtown were more expensive and that is unusual. After visiting a few of the churches and strolling down the mosaic-paved streets, we headed back to the ship. The television in the staterooms has a great selection of free movies and we watched the latest Mission Impossible flic. As reported elsewhere on these boards, the center stairway is finally open. No pics though as I'm not the most computer savvy person.

Now we have seven sea days to look forward to till we reach Ft. Lauderdale so plenty of time for leisurely breakfasts at the International Cafe, lots of reading and the occasional afternoon nap. We are staying on the ship for the 5 day Western Caribbean Cruise so from here on in it's all good. So long for now.

Harry

We were on the Aug. 30 Baltic and the Sept. 10 TA on the Regal. DH had the Alfredo as an appetizer numerous times and it came in the cheese bowl every time. We've never seen the appetizer portion served in the bowl on previous cruises. In fact, many nights he ordered it just for the bowl!

Darn we were on the Sept 10 TA and had no clue about the cheese bowl but we ordered alfedo as app numberous times. OK will wait until next year and next TA.

Edited by Micah's Grandad

Last port of call until Ft. Lauderdale. The day started out with scattered showers but by 11am, partly cloudy and the temps were in the high 60's. We've been here several times so we just strolled about town for a couple hours.

Stopped at the shops on the pier and found some nice tiles framed on cork at very nice prices. The same items downtown were more expensive and that is unusual. After visiting a few of the churches and strolling down the mosaic-paved streets, we headed back to the ship. The television in the staterooms has a great selection of free movies and we watched the latest Mission Impossible flic. As reported elsewhere on these boards, the center stairway is finally open. No pics though as I'm not the most computer savvy person.

Now we have seven sea days to look forward to till we reach Ft. Lauderdale so plenty of time for leisurely breakfasts at the International Cafe, lots of reading and the occasional afternoon nap. We are staying on the ship for the 5 day Western Caribbean Cruise so from here on in it's all good. So long for now.

Harry

This sounds like the best part of the entire cruise....sea days!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Like others, I have been enjoying following this thread. We are booked 2017 on the Royal from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and then 20 nights around the Carribbean....the only downside is the long flight back to Oz at the end..but the wrong time of year to find a ship going down under. That should make a big difference opening up the central stairs as on the Regal it caused huge bottlenecks at the lifts at busy times...in fact all the time!

Enjoy your sea days and smooth sailing.

Cheers

Joan

You seriously want to see pictures of a staircase??. I do not get this obession with stairs on The Royal[emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Ubetcha. Of course, we want to see how they were able to finish off the crew stairs. It's not an obsession (note the correct spelling) with stairs in general, but rather these stairs.

No pics though as I'm not the most computer savvy person.

Harry

Harry mentioned there will be no pictures. Harry, thanks for taking us along on your cruise. It is greatly appreciated. Happy Sailing!

Marie

Edited by FlorenceItaly