NCL building 6 new ships?!

Dr. Cocktail

Following along, been a while since a good quality thread all! :)

The choice for Fincantieri might be a result of Meyer's full order books (incl. Finland)?

I dont think so , now its just fdr the boss and he always made his former ship in Italie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this where the Epic was built? If so, they were a disaster with union labor, delays and poor quality issues, but probably cheaper than Meyer Weft. Or was that some place else?

Meyer Werft is union as it is in Germany. Germany is heavily unionized and unions have much more power than US unions. Germany also has one of the best and dynamic economies in the world. Yes you can have both.

Eeek! Now RCI has announced the construction of two new ships at 200k GT. That's in addition to their continued building of Oasis and Quantum class ships. Who is going to sail on all these ships?

The chineses [emoji851]

The chineses [emoji851]

Yep. I called this months ago. That's why over the last few years NCL has been squeezing their customers left and right. They needed to build ships for the Chinese market and they're funding it with cutbacks on the NCL loyalists. Schadenfreude :D

• 2 weeks later...
Eeek! Now RCI has announced the construction of two new ships at 200k GT. That's in addition to their continued building of Oasis and Quantum class ships. Who is going to sail on all these ships?

With Global Warming and the tide(s) rising there will be no place on terra de firma to set foot - so welcome the new Noah's Ark(s) for the masses.

Yes hyperbole - but then maybe your next embarking port will be 20 miles upstream from where it used to be and need a water taxi to the gangway.

Caution these mega ships will have a displacement further raising the rising waters.

There will no need for levity here as the waters will seek their own level.

Bad Hollywood "B" movies will not be made in a Back Lot but by the new Hoover Dam canal.

Enjoy the new scenic shore excursion opportunities where sea level has a new definition of above sea level not in inches but in meters.

As for the Chinese needing these mega ships your embarking point will be at the one river gorge formerly the 3 river gorge.

So what was that saying "Build it and they will come" - well they will - the cruise lines are not banking on it they are raising expectations to a new level !

Surely NCL are not trying to be 'premium', their aim and hardware is purely mass-market like RCI and Carnival?

I don't see anything premium about NCL, but it has been suggested that FDR is attempting to make NCL more premium to achieve higher per diems. Yes there have been some decor upgrades which is good (less bold and more neutral colors), but it takes more than new carpet to be a premium brand people are willing to pay more for. Higher service levels, better quality cuisine, larger cabins, more included amenities, less nickel & diming. I don't see any of that happening on NCL. If anything I see more nickel & diming than ever on NCL. Yes many fares now include a beverage package, but you are still paying for those drinks one way or another. Unfortunately bar service has suffered because of it. No additional bartenders but far more people ordering drinks and far more often.

Although these new builds are slightly smaller, I don't expect to see any increases in the staff:pax ratio or any higher space ratios.

I don't see anything premium about NCL..

O.k. we are on the same page! I'm not knocking NCL, but they are NOT anywhere near being premium.

Although these new builds are slightly smaller, I don't expect to see any increases in the staff:pax ratio or any higher space ratios.

Are they confirmed yet? I'm surprised if NCL go smaller, when everybody else is going bigger!

I honestly think NCL is playing a longer term game. They seem to be doing a very good job IMO of attracting younger people and younger families compared to some other lines with UBP promotions and such. I'm a yuppie I suppose and while this is anecdotal lots of my peers are interested and have booked cruises recently with their promotions they have out there. I suppose we all get older, but if NCL is doing well with this demographic they could capitalize on it long term and distinguish themselves from Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

I can't imagine ever being interested in the "old people" cruise lines, but I could see myself taking NCL cruises for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.k. we are on the same page! I'm not knocking NCL, but they are NOT anywhere near being premium.

Are they confirmed yet? I'm surprised if NCL go smaller, when everybody else is going bigger!

It might be the case that NCL is going after a niche again, after all their added value was freestyle in the past and most other cruise lines adopted that too. Time will tell.

Edited by FreestyleNovice
typo

I can't imagine ever being interested in the "old people" cruise lines, but I could see myself taking NCL cruises for a long time.

When you are an 'old person' you will almost certainly require a different product to what NCL offers now.

Big ships with a 'party' atmosphere, aimed at families, may no longer have the same appeal for you.

If NCL is looking to keep. "Niche" position, they will have to contend with a new kid on the block....Virgin voyages which are not building mega ships. I personally think moving to a smaller non 4000 + passenger ship is wise which allows for ease in changing itineraries. Now if Ncl would only slow down with changes and communicate changes better I would be happy. I find out changes here on CC, not through NCL.