Hurricane Matthew - Norwegian Breakaway

Eboogie

I'm new to cruising and we're scheduled for the Norwegian Breakaway out of NYC on October 9th. I was wondering if the hurricane will affect our cruise. Can someone tell me what NCL would do in this situation a friend has warned me we may be rerouted to Canada.

NCL is very good at keeping weather alerts current. This was posted this afternoon at ncl.com :

Hurricane Matthew Update - Wednesday, Oct 5 at 2:00 pm ET (6:00 pm UTC)

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean.

All of our ships are currently sailing as scheduled. Our nautical operations team has identified alternate routes for ships that are scheduled to sail near where the storm may pass in the coming days, in the event that itineraries need to be adjusted to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our guests and crew.

At this time, there is no change to embarkation for Norwegian Sky on Friday, October 7 and Norwegian Escape on Saturday, October 8. Should there be any changes, guests will be advised via phone and text messages and updated information will be posted on http://www.ncl.com.

We ask our guests to continue to monitor NCL.com for any further storm updates

I'm new to cruising and we're scheduled for the Norwegian Breakaway out of NYC on October 9th. I was wondering if the hurricane will affect our cruise. Can someone tell me what NCL would do in this situation a friend has warned me we may be rerouted to Canada.

Matthew is turning (potentially back into Florida according to some models).

You may get some effects from Nichole (which is heading toward Bermuda) or Otto if he forms and heads in that direction.

The 9th is a little too soon to tell. I can say 100% that Disney has rerouted the 10/7 Magic to Canada, so it's not unprecedented. The question may be if there are docks large enough for the Breakaway in those Canadian ports.

I've been watching on Marine Traffic. All the cruise ships are smartly traveling just ahead or behind, and well outside of the danger zone. I really think they will do their best to stay on schedule, unless they're forced to deviate.

I live in Halifax and the Breakaway was here a while back. I think most of the ports on the New England/Canada routes would be able to dock the Breakaway. It may have been on a repositioning cruise at the time so I can't guarantee that it stopped at any other Canadian ports. You would be visiting Cruise Critic's 5th most popular North American port though you might want to pack a bit heavier than you would for Bermuda! It could be cool and windy or Indian summer but still better than Matthew's ports!

Stay on there web site.

Canada could be a possibility. Looks like a couple storms potentially brewing around Bermuda. Sunshine left early today to avoid TS Nicole heading that way, and Matthew looks like he's going to be staying south for a while.....hope you have a nice trip no matter where you end up.

The 9th is a little too soon to tell. I can say 100% that Disney has rerouted the 10/7 Magic to Canada, so it's not unprecedented. The question may be if there are docks large enough for the Breakaway in those Canadian ports.

The magic was not re-routed the 10/7 Canada sailing was its planned itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the Magic was rerouted. A close friend of mine is on that sailing. She found out this afternoon about the itinerary change with the option of a full refund. She is going to Canada and had to repack her clothes. Originally going to Florida, Bahamas and Cast Away Cay.

Check out the DCL website, it is on there. Wish I was wrong. Heading out myself on the Breakaway Sunday the 9th. Hopefully to Bermuda.

I live in Halifax and the Breakaway was here a while back. I think most of the ports on the New England/Canada routes would be able to dock the Breakaway. It may have been on a repositioning cruise at the time so I can't guarantee that it stopped at any other Canadian ports. You would be visiting Cruise Critic's 5th most popular North American port though you might want to pack a bit heavier than you would for Bermuda! It could be cool and windy or Indian summer but still better than Matthew's ports!

As someone from Nova Scotia going on the Breakaway on October 9th, I really hope we don't get diverted to Halifax. As much as a love the city, not exactly where I was hoping to get away to.

Maybe I could make a few bucks as a tour guide...

No, the Magic was rerouted. A close friend of mine is on that sailing. She found out this afternoon about the itinerary change with the option of a full refund. She is going to Canada and had to repack her clothes. Originally going to Florida, Bahamas and Cast Away Cay.

Check out the DCL website, it is on there. Wish I was wrong. Heading out myself on the Breakaway Sunday the 9th. Hopefully to Bermuda.

Port Canaveral is currently closed, so hopefully that will happen for your friend.

All I can say is this. I live in Florida. Just over an hour from port of Miami and 35 to Ft.lauderdale. And the conditions have turned ugly already. News is already saying power outage by me. It looks though by fri where the ports are things should be ok especially by Sat and Sun. Just be happy you aren't leaving today or tomorrow.

All I can say is this. I live in Florida. Just over an hour from port of Miami and 35 to Ft.lauderdale. And the conditions have turned ugly already. News is already saying power outage by me. It looks though by fri where the ports are things should be ok especially by Sat and Sun. Just be happy you aren't leaving today or tomorrow.

Stay safe - thoughts and prayers are with you.