Explorer of the seas gratuity questions

Hi all

First time cruiser sailing on Explorer from Sydney to South Pacific. What is a reasonable amount to tip the cabin steward? Also should that be in Australian or US dollars. I didn't prepay gratuities and from what I understand they charge gratuities to your seapass is this correct? If so can onboard credit be used towards these gratuities.

Well you sure picked a very big, great ship for your 1st cruise. There is lots to do on that ship. And to South Pacific too - enjoy!

As you have not pre-paid, T&G's will be charged daily to your on-board account at something like $US12.50 per person per day. This is shared by your cabin steward, and your wait-staff, in a pre-arranged breakup. Your OBC will be used for all expenses on your account, including T&G's.

RC offer the opportunity to modify your 'auto-tips' by visiting guest services during the cruise.

If you elect to pay cash tips, either in combination with, or instead of the auto-tips it can be in $A or $US. How much you pay is up to you, however you choose to do it.

Well you sure picked a very big, great ship for your 1st cruise. There is lots to do on that ship. And to South Pacific too - enjoy!

As you have not pre-paid, T&G's will be charged daily to your on-board account at something like $US12.50 per person per day. This is shared by your cabin steward, and your wait-staff, in a pre-arranged breakup. Your OBC will be used for all expenses on your account, including T&G's.

RC offer the opportunity to modify your 'auto-tips' by visiting guest services during the cruise.

If you elect to pay cash tips, either in combination with, or instead of the auto-tips it can be in $A or $US. How much you pay is up to you, however you choose to do it.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did book a large ship. It's just myself and 3 children, so I wanted one with lots of entertainment. In honesty the $750 which we will be charged did seem a lot considering we won't eat in main dining and all share one cabin, but at the same time I understand staff are on low wages, so I won't remove the gratuities. In regards to cabin steward a family member explained it was reasonable to give them a small amount?

The gratuities that are charged to your sail and sign card are enough, so dont feel the need to pay any additional tips, unless you feel like someone has gone above and beyond.

The cabin steward will receive his/her share from that.

The gratuities also cover the staff working in the buffet area and cafe promenade, not just the dining room.

I hope you reconsider using the dining room for at least some of your dinners. It is much nicer than always eating in the buffet :)

Just to clarify, wait staff don't only work in the dining rooms, they also work in the buffet at lunch and breakfast. So the tips go to this also.

I suggest you do try the dining room at least once - the staff are fantastic and will totally cater for & spoil your children and there is a kid's menu if they don't fancy 'regular' food. I have heard of kids having nuggets and chips and red jelly and ice-cream every night of the cruise if the wanted.

A portion of your auto-tips will go to your cabin steward. Even after pre-paying our tips, the service of our cabin steward has always seen us give some extra in cash.

Edited to add: Oh, I see that kazbar replied already along similar lines :-)

Edited by mr walker

Thanks for clarifying about the staff who get paid from the gratuities. This is all new to me. You've convinced me lol. I will try out the main dining. I think what put me off was reading it takes a couple of hours for all courses. The kids are well behaved but thought they may get bored.

Thanks for clarifying about the staff who get paid from the gratuities. This is all new to me. You've convinced me lol. I will try out the main dining. I think what put me off was reading it takes a couple of hours for all courses. The kids are well behaved but thought they may get bored.

Get there, what would be cool is if the whole family orders off the Kids Menu.

An experience for them that shouldn't be missed.

thA3D6OTKK.jpg.90a3a1ad362cf28947d7c4534c196afb.jpg

You could always ask to be sat at a table for 4. That way, you won't be holding anyone up. You can order/eat at your own 'pace' and leave when you like. I think you should try the Main Dining first night. If it is not a good fit for the family, you could then choose to skip the rest of the nights.

Get there, what would be cool is if the whole family orders off the Kids Menu.

An experience for them that shouldn't be missed.

Haha might just do that, give the waiters a bit of a laugh . Yep im convinced. i will try main dining first or second night even if just for the experience :)

You could always ask to be sat at a table for 4. That way, you won't be holding anyone up. You can order/eat at your own 'pace' and leave when you like. I think you should try the Main Dining first night. If it is not a good fit for the family, you could then choose to skip the rest of the nights.

Thanks for the advice, i will do just that.

They will charge your account daily.

Now I'm sure I'll have the figure wrong and it varies by cabin type, but roughly $13 pp pd and that is US$ so it's about $17 Aus per day each.

Many think that's enough, others give a bit extra, we tend to give $20 to $50 extra to anyone that makes our cruise special perhaps a waiter that has gone above and beyond to make it fun.

Same with drinks, there is a tip in the amount charged, some tip extra per drink, and think they get better service, we dont, but do say please and thank you etc and find we always get great service.

Likewise some say they hand out a big tip first day to get preferential treatment, again we haven't but have pretty much always felt we got good service.

True that. Also, if you don't want to continue there it's good to let the maitre d' (and others at the table) know so they can reallocate if needed - especially for early dining on peak cruises there's often more wanting that slot than available, and as a courtesy to others so they don't wait around for you to start ordering.

Never mind about the gratuities for the crew .. I believe that this season Royal Carribean are introducing gratuities for the check in staff at the pier..well at least for the " spethial" ones :D:D

Not sailing with you this season:( and we all know I'm the only really spethshial one;), but that Mrs Gut is a bit special;)

Never mind about the gratuities for the crew .. I believe that this season Royal Carribean are introducing gratuities for the check in staff at the pier..well at least for the " spethial" ones :D:D

Ahhh Tipping the checkink staff ... yesp I think we should do that :p

But how much will depend on such things as the length of the red carpet and the depth of the bows and sincerity of the groveling ......"How low can you go":eek:

If there is no red carpet can I stop the grats ???

Yes oh Spehicial one just go to the desk as soon as you are on board and fill in the required form :D

Regards

John

I won't see you this season either Graham - trying out new cruiselines (Carnival & Cunard then Celebrity & Norwegian) - I do hope the days that you have 2 cruise ships arriving & leaving work out well for all concerned [emoji15]

Gae

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think this is a thin edge to the wedge, next thing you know they will be cutting out the red carpet treatment altogether.:p

I won't see you this season either Graham - trying out new cruiselines (Carnival & Cunard then Celebrity & Norwegian) - I do hope the days that you have 2 cruise ships arriving & leaving work out well for all concerned [emoji15]

Gae

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes you will. We do Celebrity and will be doing Norwegian (that is if you are leaving from Sydney of course :) )

Ahh so many things that I don't know about cruising. So you have to book for breakfast in main dining?

It is the DreamWorks breakfast, complete with entertainment. I haven't done it but did view others (from the other side of the MDR) and it looked and sounded great for both adults and the kids.