Alaskan Cruises

Dreamslayer

Hi Everyone,

could I please have some opinions on which is the best way to cruise to Alaska - is via the inner passage or the out passage?

I am hoping to book a cruise very soon, so some prompt responses would be appreciated.

Thanks for your advice

"Best" is always a subjective word. Ditto for questions asking for that.

It all comes down to what YOU think is important and what YOU think is the meaning of "best". My opinion of "best" is likely different from others who are different from still others.

What do YOU want from your cruise? And until you have that answer, everything else is premature.

(For example, are you wanting views from your stateroom, port intensive, sea days, glaciers, culture?? How can we know what YOU want.)

Thoughts on...

Inside (one-way): (what we did last time)

+ Inside is calmer

- Added airfare to/from Alaska

+ NB has more of a feel of going "to" Alaska and scenery builds and builds

+ While in Anchorage opportunity to rent car and tour on own

+ or - One ways have option to add land package (see below)

++ Some one-ways do College Fjord - amazing, far better than Glacier Bay

- One-ways (on mainstream lines) all leave from Vancouver, BC - higher air fares are usually involved

- A lot of the inside part of Vancouver Is. is at night

Outside (R/T): (doing this next year due to no airfare)

+ Most (if not all) are from Seattle (might be better airfare)

- All the Seattle ones go outside Vancouver Is. in open water - chance of rough seas although usually OK

+ You return to departure port so R/T flights are more feasible (if you need to fly)

+ Seattle is drive-able for a lot of west coast people

+ They stop at Victoria - albeit short and usually evening

About the land touring - we built our own adventure because we don't like organized tours of the high cost of the packages. We rented a car for a week in Anchorage and drove to Valdez and Fairbanks. After a night there took Alaska Air flight to Barrow for overnight and town tour. Back to Fairbanks then drove to Healy outside Denali park. Then down to Anchorage. Far less cost than a cruiseline tour and we could do what we wanted when we wanted to. It did help that I had been up there a few times for work so knew my way around.

On the road trip I kept telling my wife "this looks like a good place for Moose so we should keep a sharp lookout." On the last day sure enough and cow and calf crossed in front of us so I hit the brakes and we watched them proceed. DW kept screaming "THEY'RE SO BIG!!!" :eek: over an over all the way to Anchorage. :D

Edited by Sequim88

My first cruise to Alaska was earlier this year. It was roundtrip from Vancouver and sailed the Inside Passage with scenic cruising in Glacier Bay and stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. The scenery was amazing. If you go to Skagway, the White Pass and Yukon Railway is a must, IMO.

If you're coming all the way from Australia, I hope you'll consider at least a land/sea cruise -- 7 or more days seeing the interior (Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Katmai, maybe more) & at least 7 days cruising.

Alaska has so very much to see & do! Make that LONG plane trip worth it!

(Planning my 4th trip!):)