Locking luggage

khewston

We locked ours and when it went through xray/scan, they saw what they thought was a bottle of liquor, we got called down the the 1st deck to open the suit case. They kept asking me saying is there anything in there? I couldn't think of anything. Another guest, called down, told me they will just hold it until the end of the cruise. I said there is nothing in there that is not allowed, no one believed me. When I opened it, it was my bottle of baby lotion. Everyone looked at each other, like they couldn't believe it because they thought they had me. I said see I told you.

We locked ours and when it went through xray/scan, they saw what they thought was a bottle of liquor, we got called down the the 1st deck to open the suit case. They kept asking me saying is there anything in there? I couldn't think of anything. Another guest, called down, told me they will just hold it until the end of the cruise. I said there is nothing in there that is not allowed, no one believed me. When I opened it, it was my bottle of baby lotion. Everyone looked at each other, like they couldn't believe it because they thought they had me. I said see I told you.

They don't hold it any longer , they confiscate it , liquor that is .

I'll walk my 1 bag onto a ship and then use the TSA lock on the bag to store any valuable item that won't fit in the cabin's tiny safe.

Someone with a razor or box cutter could easily open one of the outside pockets and slash the lining to gain access.

The only problem with zip ties is that once they've been cut (if TSA wants in to check something) then you're left with unlocked luggage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always use zip ties and carry extras with me. After watching those videos, guess locks or ties won't make any difference :/

I always LOCK my bags, and I use Master keyed locks...not TSA. (It's not a law to use TSA, you know!)...

No one has a right to go thru my stuff....if the airlines must, they will cut the lock off...and I'll KNOW someone has been pawing through my clothes! The locks come MANY in a package, so I can replace if needed. That's only happened ONCE!

Lock your bags when they are out of your control!

We use Zip Ties, and to respond to a comment above, several times the TSA folks have cut the ties, left their note inside about the search, AND replaced the zip tie with a different color one.

I know zip ties are hardly a deterrent for a would be thief, but if time is limited they will usually go for one without a lock or tie- even quicker to open. As others have said - if determined thieves can get in most any bag - can even just cut their way in through the side of the bag.