Looking For A Recommendation For A Hotel - Family Cruise Starting In Los Angeles

Keith1010

We have sailed several times out of San Pedro and often stay in places ranges from Long Beach, to Beverly Hills to Marina del Ray.

This time we will have our children, their spouses and three grand children accompanying us.

We will arrive two to three nights before the cruise.

Would prefer not to rent vehicles so am looking for a resort type of hotel that might have their own beach or be within walking distance of a beach and also have various activities on the hotel property.

We will be arriving by flights to LAX.

I have made a reservation in Long Beach but am looking for ideas where to stay as well as hotels.

Appreciate any advice.

I have also used Trip Advisor as part of our research and also looked at places we have stayed with before.

Wherever we stay would like to be staying someplace that would not take us any further from the port than LAX and ideally on the way or about the same distance as LAX is to the port. Of course something much closer would be ideal.

Thank you.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Hi,

It is too expensive for me but the only resort I can think of between LAX and the port is this:

http://www.terranea.com/

Have you considered a theme park centered visit instead of a beach visit??

If yes, then you could stay in Anaheim at any hotel and do Disney, Ca. Adventure and Knotts Berry Farm.

There's an express bus from LAX that goes to the Disney resorts there.

Resort-type beach hotels on the way from LAX to the port is a tough order...

Property is so expensive here...especially beachfront property...that it's hard to build and operate something like that...

Yes, the previously mentioned Terranea is one...

The area between LAX and the port is generally called the "South Bay"...includes the cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach along the waterfront...So, you want to search those cities...

Here is one you might consider:

http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/?gclid=CjwKEAjwsuK_BRDD9ISR1bawwUwSJACbOiixxcQ5eJTnvxewvdArWRzLeUn6CsiVF8X_V7eT4GkjDRoCQUXw_wcB

In Redondo, most hotels are either a few blocks off the beach on Pacific Coast Highway...or they are in the Marina--like the Portofino or the Crowne Plaza--which are two you might want to look at...

Have fun...

rifatsea and Bruin Steve, I just looked at Terranea and it looks great to me. Unfortunately it is all booked up for the second of three consecutive nights we are looking at. I will be sure to look at this hotel for another family get together before we cruise.

Bruin Steve, I am going to look at your other recommendation right now.

Keith

• 3 months later...

Well, after extensive research and thinking all of this through we decided we would spend a pre-cruise at Disneyland. I think this will work lots better for our family members who are joining us for this family cruise. There will be plenty

to keep everyone busy and happy. :)

Keith

I'd look at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach. It has everything you asked for.

Do understand that no hotel in CA has its "own beach" as all beaches in CA are public.

You also might look at the Marriott Marina and Jamaica Bay Inn in Marina del Rey.

I'd look at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach. It has everything you asked for.

Do understand that no hotel in CA has its "own beach" as all beaches in CA are public.

You also might look at the Marriott Marina and Jamaica Bay Inn in Marina del Rey.

Thank you for your thoughts.

We ended up deciding to change up our approach given that we would be there a few days and decided to stay at Disneyland. This will provide lots of entertainment for the kids and just makes more sense for them. We will enjoy this too. Took one of the grandkids there last year and many years ago when we lived in Northern California took our own kids there once a year. :)

Keith