Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

Are you done with your rant yet???? You are starting to sound tired and repetitive.....K.O......:rolleyes:

You are pretty clever sitting behind your screen. Good luck on your next cruise. Maybe you will be able to get over yourself. Please feel free to update us on the happenings since you pretend to know what you're talking about. Can't handle opinions? Stay off the boards. It's a discussion. Learn how to have a proper one. Should I type "KO" here?? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Every year there is some type of weather that can cause problems for some cruise.

RCL should be able to send out a blast email or text a few days in advance that says essentially there is a threat of weather on the itinerary. All passengers need to check website and plan ahead. Weather may result in change of itinerary, delayed departure, etc. [i feel everyone should have know there was possible trouble with cruises this week--but, this would have covered RCL from much of the criticism]

I have gotten this type of email/text that I have to acknowledge when there was a "deep clean" and they delayed embarkations. The website seems to not be very robust. . . . So, use the email/text feature to contact passengers.

Every year there is some type of weather that can cause problems for some cruise.

RCL should be able to send out a blast email or text a few days in advance that says essentially there is a threat of weather on the itinerary. All passengers need to check website and plan ahead. Weather may result in change of itinerary, delayed departure, etc. [i feel everyone should have know there was possible trouble with cruises this week--but, this would have covered RCL from much of the criticism]

I have gotten this type of email/text that I have to acknowledge when there was a "deep clean" and they delayed embarkations. The website seems to not be very robust. . . . So, use the email/text feature to contact passengers.

Yessss! This is what I've been saying!

Would be interesting to know if they had to pay the $300 PVSA penalty.

Why would they be treated differently than anyone else. A cruise which does not go to a foreign port is a PVSA violation whether the passenger disembarks in the same or a different US port. The only ones not in violation would be any on a B2B either before or after this cruise.

Roy

Why would they be treated differently than anyone else. A cruise which does not go to a foreign port is a PVSA violation whether the passenger disembarks in the same or a different US port.

They may have gotten a waiver (due to weather, port issues) or here's a shocking thought, RCI may have paid the $300 for them.

You are pretty clever sitting behind your screen. Good luck on your next cruise. Maybe you will be able to get over yourself. Please feel free to update us on the happenings since you pretend to know what you're talking about. Can't handle opinions? Stay off the boards. It's a discussion. Learn how to have a proper one. Should I type "KO" here?? [emoji23][emoji23]

Thank you and thank you again! I handle opinions quite well thank you. Oh and type whatever you like.....K.O.:D

This was a nightmare for many but who complain that is on a cruise ship, but the ones who aren't I can understand them being upset.

I guess it all depends on what you look for in a cruise. Some go for the ports, some the ship amenities, etc. Just because someone is not on a cruise doesn't mean they're complaining. This particular cruise doesn't sound appealing. The ones who are on it probably tried to make the best of what was given to them. A cruise to NJ/NY is much different than a cruise to Bermuda if you're going for the ports. If you like the Grandeur and don't mind rough seas then I'm sure it's fine.

Cruise lines are in a no win situation. I see complaints on the NCL board as well as this thread about not getting information quickly. It could be that neither line informed passengers earlier because they just made the decision. If they made a decision early not to head to a port... and a few hours later conditions improved, people would be ticked off that they changed the port too early. Corporate types actually dont sit around trying to figure out how to screw their customers. Not a good business model. As for getting a full refund.. one reason the ticket outlines a policy allowing change is that no business known to be impacted by weather would survive. Unlike an airline the ship has been loaded with perishable provisions and a huge crew which has to be paid regardless of whether they go to port A or not.

If changes like this really bother you, you might consider staying at a resort of some sort during non hurricane season. But even then there is the possibility of having a week of rain.

The most memorable trips I have taken are the ones that did not go perfectly. Those are the trips I remember. Somehow I still had fun and brought back great stories. My advise is to take a class in meditation and then when things happen... practice some of those techniques to help lower your blood pressure and help improve your outlook... all you can really do.

One question for people who were on the ship. I saw on Marine Traffic the NYC Waterways ferry sitting at what appeared to be the tender hatch. Did the ship maintain two exits in Bayonne, the ferry port and a gangway into the terminal?

Roy

One question for people who were on the ship. I saw on Marine Traffic the NYC Waterways ferry sitting at what appeared to be the tender hatch. Did the ship maintain two exits in Bayonne, the ferry port and a gangway into the terminal?

Roy

Yes. They provided a free ferry into lower Manhattan or a $20 round trip bus ride to midtown.

Hi!

There is absolutely NOTHING on RCCL's very accurate, up-to-the minute, posting on their website about the Port of Baltimore and/or the Granduer of the Seas. It lists ALL the other Ports and Ships that have been affected over the last 4-5 days days, with advisories, warnings, closures, refund info. etc. etc., so I find your post HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS (:D) , and your parents very CONFUSED (:eek:). Nice try to cause trouble from a non-Royal cruiser!

- Miriam

OH NO!!!! As a ROYAL cruiser, I was on that ship and we didn't know where we were going until SUNDAY!!! And YES, we went to BAYONNE!!!! Far cry from Bermuda!

Just got off Grandeur this morning...not exactly what we were expecting but I was very pleased with Grandeur (crew was great and real troopers) and RCI (believe we're getting a 100% future cruise credit based on our cabin rate). They really made the best of a bad situation...kept us appraised when they knew something (as opposed to feeding rumors) and kept us safe.

We had a blast. She's an older ship and little leaky, but we're already talking about taking her to Canada in Sept of 2018....lovely crew.

And yes...the free ferry to/from the ship to Battery Park was very cool. Awesome views of Lovely Lady Liberty...great photos.

Sounds like, in general, everyone involved--staff, crew, passengers, tried to make the best of a bad situation. It's a well-known fact that when you book a cruise during hurricane season, especially one leaving from the mid-Atlantic area, that you are taking a chance. When we booked a cruise to Bermuda out of Baltimore, which we were excited to do, the first thing I told my husband was we're booked for Bermuda, but we could end up in Canada. It was late August, right smack in the middle of hurricane season. We got lucky and had gorgeous weather and smooth sailing the entire week, but we knew that that is not always the case. It's a chance you take.