Just returned from the Conquest

deborahjo

There were other issues I choose not to go into due to the nature of them.

Yes I would expect him or someone near him to read a letter from a guest with issues. How else is he going to better his crew and ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by deborahjo

There were other issues I choose not to go into due to the nature of them.

Yes I would expect him or someone near him to read a letter from a guest with issues. How else is he going to better his crew and ship.

I also would expect the captain to read my letter. If anyone laughed at my wife's medical situation my reaction would get me put off at the next port.

I'm in no way trying to minimize your issue but what could have taken up 4 pages and did you realistically expect him to read it?

I don't see it as a laughing matter. I find this very insensitive of the maitre d or anyone else who blew it off. I don't get what was so hard in limiting how much was put on the plate. At the same time, I also don't get why it would have been so difficult to just eat what you could. Surely the knowledge that eating too much would make you sick would give you pause. We cruised recently with my sister's coworker who has had gastric surgery. She eats very little in a single setting. I don't think she asked for smaller portions. Matter of fact I know she didn't, because each night the wait staff would ask her if she disliked her meal, because she ate so little. She never went into it. Just said she had a small appetite. I guess everyone handles things differently.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise in spite of this issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are talking 2 different surgery types. I am a diabetic which is the reason for my surgery. But this was ignored also.

You are talking 2 different surgery types. I am a diabetic which is the reason for my surgery. But this was ignored also.

Terrible. I would forward that letter to Carnival Corporate. I think the laughing is really what gets me. Again sorry this happened to you.

As for your point about wasting food, the lady we cruised with had her husband with her. Not all of what she didn't finish went to waste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are Bariatric patients so we can barely eat half portions of food.

Husband has done 4 cruises with 0 problems This one was nothing but trouble. Half portions are on our profiles and was totally ignored.

We choose half portions to not be tempted to over eat and become ill.

Sorry you had this problem with the staff. I'm also a bariatric patient (many years) and have never had any problems in the dining room. Where do you even put the half portions part on your profile? (I'm honestly just curious because I didn't know that was a possibility). I'll split things with my husband since I know I won't eat it all. I also don't think it would ruin my cruise or upset me if they kept bringing out regular portions...not a battle I'd take up...but to each their own. Definitely shouldn't have laughed or belittled you though.

The other part with you being diabetic...next time try the Special Needs Department before the trip? I think that's what it's called. I know people have gone through them for allergies and vegans issues. Carnival has been great for that.

Sorry you had this problem with the staff. I'm also a bariatric patient (many years) and have never had any problems in the dining room. Where do you even put the half portions part on your profile? (I'm honestly just curious because I didn't know that was a possibility). I'll split things with my husband since I know I won't eat it all. I also don't think it would ruin my cruise or upset me if they kept bringing out regular portions...not a battle I'd take up...but to each their own. Definitely shouldn't have laughed or belittled you though.

The other part with you being diabetic...next time try the Special Needs Department before the trip? I think that's what it's called. I know people have gone through them for allergies and vegans issues. Carnival has been great for that.

We work very closely with Special Needs on every cruise since my husbands surgery almost 4 years ago.

Did you every walk around Lido, buffet area and see all the food that is wasted?

Deborahjo isn't in charge of everyone on the lido. Deborahjo is in charge of Deborahjo and Deborahjo didn't want to waste food. I think that is an admirable trait that she shouldn't have been laughed at for.

Like Joey said up there, if anyone had laughed at my wife for her dietary needs I'da probably been flying home from port too.

Deborahjo isn't in charge of everyone on the lido. Deborahjo is in charge of Deborahjo and Deborahjo didn't want to waste food. I think that is an admirable trait that she shouldn't have been laughed at for.

Like Joey said up there, if anyone had laughed at my wife for her dietary needs I'da probably been flying home from port too.

Thank you. I just could not believe Ivan told us we need to use this as a learning experience while laughing.

I guess Ivan and Mr Kapil are friends. Maybe that is why nothing improved.

I do have a question to ask. One night I ordered the cannaloni? After everyone had gotten their Mains I was told the chef was just starting mine.

Now on the menu it read ricotta cheese, bacon and shaved Parmesan.

When I received mine it was stuffed with creamed spinach and peas. Has anyone else ever received it this way? I was told that was how it was served What a load of bull.

Edited by deborahjo

I am trying to be sympathetic but it is difficult. You could have took your knife and separated half the food and the entire issue would be resolved in a couple of minutes. No battles, letters or discussions required. The waste issue is with Carnival. It costs you nothing. As for Diabetes, my wife is type 2 who takes insulin and has a regimented menu and has had no issues in the dining room during 19 Carnival cruises.

I think the officers took the same position as I have but then again, you are the customer cruiser so maybe they could have been more polite and considerate. They could have told the Server of the problem and advised handling. On the other hand, the Servers barely have sufficient time to serve the meals under normal conditions and then all the other cruisers would be posting of the terrible timing of their dining service while special attention is given to yours.

With over 8,000 Cruise Critic posts to your credit, I would have thought you would have handled this situation quite differently. It is just not worth all the hassle that was created and I would not want to be involved with food battles during "a beautiful 8 day cruise".

Oh well, the deed is done and I imagine you and Carnival will have further discussions. I will be cruising the Conquest in February and after you read my review, you will have the opportunity to tell me how to cruise and then some. That's what makes Cruise Critic so interesting.

Edited by richfret