Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

no need to complain..you plan d this cruise knowing that it was going to be during the hurricane season.. NCL can t do anything about the weather..but, they do inform people booking during this period that there is greater chance of weather related delays and changes that may occur..

and those surprised about the last minute changes..you can easily check out the weather conditions in the Bermuda area..

Perhaps those that are angry should think about the millions of people affected by the recent weather. In my state, people an hour away from me are being evacuated from their homes due to rising floodwaters. I'll be thankful to cruise anywhere on my next cruises and be happy to have a place to come home to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

You are incorrect somewhat in what was offered. Carnival offered a full refund on sailings that were altered and Royal Caribbean gave those on the Grandeur a 100% credit towards another cruise to make up for that one.

NCL could have offered more, as the other lines chose to do. They didn't have to but they did and when it comes to booking future cruises people will remember that.

I wouldn't personally have cancelled if on the BA sailing, but I think a future credit towards another cruise would have been a decent good will gesture. Even if it was only 25% would have been better than nothing.

I wasn't clear in what I meant. I know the other lines offered refunds but the RCCL ship basically went in circles and the Carnival ship was leaving from a closed port. The only truly comparable sailing is the Disney one in that it had an itinerary change. I don't feel the other situations should be used as a measuring stick for compensation.

The one thing I could see is if they offered passengers 1/7 of a refund since they are only getting 2 port days. I've had this same thing happen and I just think the outrage is too much.

Edited by Rileyz

We're leaving on The Breakaway on Sun the 16th. I'm fully expecting an itinerary change, which I'm fine with. Rather be safe. I'm just happy to be on a cruise!! Nicole is now a cat 2 and going to hit Bermuda directly on Thursday. The Royal Gazette stated: The storm’s slow movement could mean Bermuda will suffer 26 hours of tropical storm weather, with hurricane force winds for nine hours. Let's hope Bermuda comes through this ok.

Well we are going on the 14th from Boston and I am not expecting any change as the storm will be long gone so not sure why you are expecting a change.

I'm very confused by posts like this. I've sailed carnival and RCI and it is very common for them to also make last minute itinerary changes with no notification to passengers. Is it confirmed that they were actually offering people refunds and everything that people are claiming? Because every cruise I've ever taken, the carnival and RCI boards have a thread like this with people angry about itinerary changes with no notice and VERY MINIMAL onboard credit. And also, if you're talking about a cruise line like Disney, those passengers also paid 3x what you did for your Norwegian cruise.

I AGREE 100%%%%%. If I had a choice of sailing into a hurricane (which was the itinerary I booked) or change of plans, going somewhere warm and out of harms way, that is a no brainer I would gladly accept the latter along with my OBC. RCCL lost my luggage on a 10 day trip and did absolutely nothing for me onboard so I highly doubt they would reimburse fares in a blink of an eye.

I AGREE 100%%%%%. If I had a choice of sailing into a hurricane (which was the itinerary I booked) or change of plans, going somewhere warm and out of harms way, that is a no brainer I would gladly accept the latter along with my OBC. RCCL lost my luggage on a 10 day trip and did absolutely nothing for me onboard so I highly doubt they would reimburse fares in a blink of an eye.

Exactly. I still see posters above saying lines like RCL and Carnival offered refunds. Doesn't sound ANYTHING like what people have stated in the past with itinerary changes with these lines. Is this a rumor? Carnival and RCI have NEVER offered refunds or 100% towards future cruises in situations like this.

Disney? Maybe. Disney is Disney and 3x the price. Where are people hearing that refunds were offered with RCI and Carnival?

Exactly. I still see posters above saying lines like RCL and Carnival offered refunds. Doesn't sound ANYTHING like what people have stated in the past with itinerary changes with these lines. Is this a rumor? Carnival and RCI have NEVER offered refunds or 100% towards future cruises in situations like this.

Disney? Maybe. Disney is Disney and 3x the price. Where are people hearing that refunds were offered with RCI and Carnival?

I think carnival offered a refund because the ship couldn't leave the port, and RCL is offering a future cruise credit because they changed a trip to Bermuda to a trip to Bayonne, NJ!

no need to complain..you plan d this cruise knowing that it was going to be during the hurricane season.. NCL can t do anything about the weather..but, they do inform people booking during this period that there is greater chance of weather related delays and changes that may occur..

and those surprised about the last minute changes..you can easily check out the weather conditions in the Bermuda area..

Period, the end, really ... you hit all nails on the head. Some people have a problem for every solution. And for those comparing what this one got to what that one got? "Comparison is the thief of joy." What's done is done, time to get over it. Best way to get revenge on a line that's "done you wrong" :rolleyes: is to not book with them again.

We're leaving on The Breakaway on Sun the 16th. I'm fully expecting an itinerary change, which I'm fine with. Rather be safe. I'm just happy to be on a cruise!! Nicole is now a cat 2 and going to hit Bermuda directly on Thursday. The Royal Gazette stated: The storm’s slow movement could mean Bermuda will suffer 26 hours of tropical storm weather, with hurricane force winds for nine hours. Let's hope Bermuda comes through this ok.

I've been wondering if this will happen as well (on the same itinerary :) ) I would be happy with a ride south to "crappy port canaveral and Bahamas" if that's the case, even if I couldn't get off the ship. Beats going to cold Canada!

Just pulling into Canaveral - the weather was rough last night. People are angry and disappointed. The chocolate covered strawberries were flowing last night. Bahamas is going to be a bust - no excursions and shops close at 5.

Cloudy and raining so no sun time.

I really hate to say it, but I think I would rather be home.

Question you need to ask yourself.....

Why did you book a cruise during Hurricane season?

I found this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7255

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Customer Service Manager named Miles. Offered nothing, said the GS rep on board was wrong to suggest I call them. Miles also said that if the destination was so important to me I should fly instead of cruise even though I clearly said that canceling Bermuda due safety was not the issue.

This cruise is a loss, won't be sailing on NCL again. Plenty of other lines to choose from. Hopefully the Princess cruise we're booked on in February is better.

There is a difference between missing a stop out of a 7 day cruise, or rerouting the entire cruise. I have seen the whole Eastern/Western type switch without much compensation, or missing Belize or Roatan for weather issues without compensation (just the port fees). But that is pretty small in comparison to completely rerouting a ship to someplace different. Canada is different from Bermuda which is different from the Bahamas.

Carnival clearly had their refund policy on their website when they had the different itineraries posted earlier this week. Some had a 50% credit, and also had a refund back on the current sailing. Royal specifically provided 100% credit to guests on the Granduer from this weekend for a future cruise.

Carnival offered a refund to guests on the Pride before the ship sailed or a $250 credit on the current sailing and 50% off a future cruise.

Per another passenger currently on the BA now, she states NCL was offering a refund to passengers if those chose not to sail on the Oct 9 sailing. Not sure if it was just people who really threw a fit or what, or why but she did post in our roll call that NCL was giving out refunds????

Question you need to ask yourself.....

Why did you book a cruise during Hurricane season?

WELL .

We have had many named storms From MAY onward through all the summer months in the Atlantic Ocean.

So basically the entire Bermuda season is in Hurricane season.

There is always a chance of being diverted with a Bermuda Cruise.

Edited by biker@sea

We booked in October for a birthday celebration, not to be cheap.

I also like all the comments about booking because of the cheap prices. We spent over $3k for a mini-suite. That's the most we've ever spent on a cruise. I wish this was some deeply discounted cruise for us but it wasnt.

Answer to the question of why do we book during hurricane season...

Well in our case it's because that's when we got married. If we want to celebrate an anniversary (which was the case for our recent cruise), kinda gotta travel on or around that date. I guess we should have considered hurricane season back when we were planning our wedding in Upstate, NY. :rolleyes:

WELL .

We have had many named storms From MAY onward through all the summer months in the Atlantic Ocean.

So basically the entire Bermuda season is in Hurricane season.

There is always a chance of being diverted with a Bermuda Cruise.

Oversimplification, the odds of a cruise interfering hurricane increase greatly from May until September and October. I

I understand being Upset. I would have been too...

However, there is a hurricane hitting Bermuda tonight. What options did NCL have?

It would be unreasonable for them to offer refunds for every one on the ship....They have workers to pay and Food that they have already purchased. If a change upsets you that much, I would suggest not cruising in the Future and sticking to Flying to destinations that are under your control.

Just pulling into Canaveral - the weather was rough last night. People are angry and disappointed. The chocolate covered strawberries were flowing last night. Bahamas is going to be a bust - no excursions and shops close at 5.

Cloudy and raining so no sun time.

I really hate to say it, but I think I would rather be home.

Speak for yourself. The rest of us are up on the pool deck having a good time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I understand being Upset. I would have been too...

However, there is a hurricane hitting Bermuda tonight. What options did NCL have?

It would be unreasonable for them to offer refunds for every one on the ship....They have workers to pay and Food that they have already purchased. If a change upsets you that much, I would suggest not cruising in the Future and sticking to Flying to destinations that are under your control.

They probably had the same options as some of the other cruise lines. Instead, they decided to play hard ball with their paying customers, send them to two short stop ports designed to keep them making money off already disappointed passengers. They took the easy money short term decision That will insure I'll never cruise with them again.

Edited by optimusprime82

We paid about $2,600 for our Bermuda cruise. I'm done with NCL.

I see you are from Florida. Cruising from NYC to the Bahamas is pricy - it's out of NYC. I have one booked in May costing over $6000 pp (family of 7) on the Gem! Sailing the same week to Bermuda on the BA was only $500 more total. People (like me) pay a lot of money to sail the same itinerary you are sailing (except GSC, which we skipped the last time). Any time you sail to Bermuda, you risk going to the bahamas or Canada instead. You can't go into thinking you will be refunded anything if rerouted, because it's clear in the contract you agreed to that they can change ports at any time.