Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

Right now, the remnants of Matthew are ravishing the Canadian Maritimes with a Nor'easter with storm force winds. Nicole could be a Cat 1 or Cat 2 hurricane when it impacts Bermuda early Thursday morning. I know a change itinerary stinks, but I cannot understand where those affected think the ship should sail to. Bahamas and Florida are as about as far you can go with 6-7 days round trip from New York. But even there, they are still picking up the pieces from Matthew.

If Bermuda takes a direct hit on Thursday, the Dawn cruise may be affected for next week's sailing, too.

Believe me...I understand the frustration of what you folks on the Breakaway are going through. I really do. Nothing stinks more than a long-planned vacation being ruined by Mother Nature.

That being said...it is what it is.

If you're going to be miserable, and look for someone to blame, then I hate to say it...but you should not have booked a cruise during peak hurricane season. Just a little research would have told you that the two months from mid-August to mid-October are PEAK hurricane season.

I just got off the Breakaway on Saturday, Oct 8th. Watching the hurricane center website every day was agonizing. For awhile it looked like our itinerary was going to be drastically changed. In the end, our week-long trip to Bermuda basically went off without a hitch. The last day in port, Friday, the Captain decided that we had to be back on board by 12:30PM instead of the originally scheduled 2:00PM. There were people angered by that to a level that I personally could not believe. I saw the predictions for the week ahead and realized just how lucky we were not to have our trip changed in almost any way. We were very lucky...and thankful.

Understand the facts. The chances of being affected by the weather during peak hurricane season are a known quantity. It's the reason that such great deals can be had during those periods. But with lower prices come risks. Unfortunately, the folks on board the Breakaway this week are getting the short end of the stick. I truly feel for you all. Especially the ones that are on this cruise specifically to see Bermuda.

But understand this...while NCL is by far NOT the greatest customer service company, the people working on the ship are not to blame for what's going on here. Try to understand that they are just there to do their jobs and are not happy when their passengers are not happy. Whatever you do, don't take your anger out on them. Remember, they are just employees who take orders and have no say in what goes on.

So my advice to you all is simple...just try to relax and enjoy your cruise. Get to know your ship. There really is so much to do every day on board if you're so inclined. The shows are great. We saw the Cirque show, Rock of Ages, and Burn the Floor. All were exceptional. Think about what you would be doing if you weren't on this cruise. I'm pretty sure that a week on a cruise ship is better than a week at work. Remember that. And while the $200 per cabin "gift" from the cheapskates at NCL corporate doesn't seem like much (and it really isn't), you can still buy quite a few cocktails with those extra greenbacks to help ease your pain.

Trust me on this...you'd much rather be in Port Canaveral and Nassau this week than in Bermuda when you were scheduled to be there. Can you even imagine what it would be like to be there when Nicole arrives? You would all be cursing NCL if they were to put you through that, rest assured.

You're getting the best that can be expected, considering the circumstances. So just try to relax and enjoy everything that amazing ship and crew has to offer you.

My best wishes go to everyone on board the Breakaway this week.

Safe sailing.

This happened to us kinda a few years ago on Explorer of the seas, were supposed to be in Bermuda for a day and a half and were only there like 12 hours or 14 hours because of a hurricane or tropical storm. The captain who I found to be very safe, and upfront told us all the info upfront. He made a video showing us where we are in the Atlantic and where the storm is and where we would have been if we left on time. We would have been in 30 foot seas. I don't want that, and I do not my wife and son to be in that.

We were on Breakaway this last week, got off Saturday and yeah we lucked out BIG time. I vowed if we get messed up on this cruise I would spend extra and never cruise south in Hurricane season again. Its the chance we took to save a good chunk of change. Next Sept. we are on Anthem of the seas but to Canada/NE, not a huge risk there but I guess it could happen.

Edited by JAMESCC

Methinks you'd rather be safe in port than have an experience like this:

Yes, I've been there in a much more dangerous place below. It's not fun breathing heavy diesel fumes and getting thrashed against hot metal. It will utterly incapacitate you for days on end.

It (the video) looks fun but when things get rough enough to toss your body and heavy furniture through the air, your bones will break and it will feel like you're fighting in a war!

And these storms can go on for days relentlessly.

For everyone bitching and moaning about not going to Bermuda, you should all be ashamed of yourself and go and apologize to the Captain

the Staff and the Crew

Bermuda may again be forced to batten down the hatches as the island braces itself for a possible direct hit from Tropical Storm Nicole, which is forecast to intensify as a Category 1 storm tomorrow.

The 6pm report from Bermuda Weather Service shows that Nicole could come within 25 nautical miles of the island, or even closer, on Thursday at about 9am.

At that point, it could be packing winds of 80 knots, verging on a Category 2.

But given the unpredictable nature of the system in the last week, flipping from a weak tropical storm into a full-blown hurricane, it could still change course and strength.

Already the Emergency Measures Organisation has swung into action, with a meeting convened late this afternoon.

Senator Jeff Baron, the Minister of National Security, has urged residents to make sure their storm supplies are topped up and advised locals to watch the regular updates of the Bermuda Weather Service, which is tracking the storm.

He said residents should ensure that their storm preparations are complete by this evening, at the very latest early tomorrow morning.

“Nicole is a serious threat to Bermuda, and we cannot afford to have complacency with this storm,” he said. “The Bermuda Weather Service has confirmed that this will be a strong, slow moving Category 1 hurricane and I cannot emphasise enough the critical importance of residents securing their homes and completing their preparations well in advance of this storm.”

The BWS advises that Bermuda can expect to experience hazardous conditions including heavy rain, thunderstorms, hurricane force winds, increasing seas and dangerous surf currents associated with the storm.

The EMO will meet again tomorrow after which more advisories will be issued.

Three cruise ships have already cancelled visits because of weather concerns. The Grandeur of the Seas had been scheduled to arrive in port today, while both the AIDAluna and the Norwegian Breakaway had been expected to arrive on Wednesday.

However, the storms have not affected the Norwegian Dawn, which is already at Dockyard.

Updates will also be reported on The Royal Gazette website.

At 6pm, Nicole was about 361 nautical miles south of the island, moving north at five knots with winds between 50 and 60 knots.

According to the weathermen, by 3pm tomorrow it will strengthen to Category 1 hurricane with 75-knot winds and will be even fiercer as approached the island.

BWS reports during the past week have demonstrated the fickle nature of Nicole, swinging from one track to another.

It has been the same with Hurricane Matthew, which swept across the Caribbean, claiming almost a thousand lives in Haiti alone and causing untold damage.

While it weakened after hitting the East Coast of the United States, it again destructed homes, causing heavy flooding — at last count, 16 people have been killed.

Yesterday, Mr Baron said he joined the community in expressing heartbreak at the “devastating and tragic” loss of life.

He added that he had reached out this weekend to the West Indian Association as a gesture of compassion and goodwill.

“It’s extremely heartbreaking to see the reports coming out of Haiti and to learn of the tremendous loss of life resulting from Hurricane Matthew,” he said. “Our thoughts are with the entire nation of Haiti at this time. Hurricane Matthew by all accounts was a very devastating storm and its effects will be experienced for some time to come.”

The US-based National Hurricane Centre has estimated that Bermuda has an 80 to 90 per cent chance of experiencing tropical storm-force winds within the next five days.

Seas around Bermuda are predicted to become rough this evening as Nicole continues her approach.

So how well did RCL do with their change of itinerary, made when people were already on the ship, with some not even able to get on in time? Instead of Bermuda, they are docked in NJ! Bayonne!

That wasn't their fault though in the Coast Guard closed the Chesapeake Bay and forced them out or they were stuck in Baltimore. They offered 100% credit towards a future cruise.

Guess the major point is the other cruise lines made a much better attempt at a little customer good will. People will remember those cruise lines that offered better things when mother nature reared her ugly head. The other lines didn't have to offer anything either, but they did. I totally understand why the itinerary is changed, etc and realize it might not be what you planned, but I do also know it is still a vacation, even if not where you really wanted to go. Just think overall NCL doesn't have the greatest customer service. I would never take it out on staff on the ship either as the corporate decisions aren't theirs to make either. Just hope our sailing goes ok and that things pass in Bermuda this week.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

To the people giving "storm" lectures, I haven't seen anyone posting saying they wanted to go into the storm's path. That's not why people are irate. I mean, enjoy your righteously indignant "safety" rant and whatever, but people are/were angry about the lack of communication and options from NCL versus other lines.

I don't condone abusing guest services, but pretending anyone WANTS to sail into the hurricane just so you can yell is disingenuous.

To the people giving "storm" lectures, I haven't seen anyone posting saying they wanted to go into the storm's path. That's not why people are irate. I mean, enjoy your righteously indignant "safety" rant and whatever, but people are/were angry about the lack of communication and options from NCL versus other lines.

I don't condone abusing guest services, but pretending anyone WANTS to sail into the hurricane just so you can yell is disingenuous.

Ok then I need to ask a question. Does anyone watch the weather channel? It should be of no surprise that there is a hurricane ruining their cruise. I watched the weather channel for a month heading into my cruise, really REALLY paid attention the 7 to 10 days leading up to my cruise. I was quite worried about Hurricane Matthew. It would not have come as a surprise to me if it messed up my cruise. In fact I was prepared for it. I watched the weather on BBC news on the ship where they had updates on Matthew. I was informed because I paid attention. The captain did the rest and kept as safe and informed.

Also people are so oblivious. When the captain came on the PA system I would stop in my tracks to hear what he had to say. Everyone else was flying around worried about the buffet or getting a spot at the pool. Even when they were getting updates they didn't listen nor pay attention. These are the same people that would have been crying if we went to some other port. They would have claimed they were not informed and knew nothing about this crazy little storm Matthew that just popped up, not. ;)

Ok then I need to ask a question. Does anyone watch the weather channel? It should be of no surprise that there is a hurricane ruining their cruise. I watched the weather channel for a month heading into my cruise, really REALLY paid attention the 7 to 10 days leading up to my cruise. I was quite worried about Hurricane Matthew. It would not have come as a surprise to me if it messed up my cruise. In fact I was prepared for it. I watched the weather on BBC news on the ship where they had updates on Matthew. I was informed because I paid attention. The captain did the rest and kept as safe and informed.

Also people are so oblivious. When the captain came on the PA system I would stop in my tracks to hear what he had to say. Everyone else was flying around worried about the buffet or getting a spot at the pool. Even when they were getting updates they didn't listen nor pay attention. These are the same people that would have been crying if we went to some other port. They would have claimed they were not informed and knew nothing about this crazy little storm Matthew that just popped up, not. ;)

Still missing the point.

Other lines offered much greater kickbacks or the option of canceling altogether when an itinerary was impacted by Matthew last week.

No one is asking to sail into the storm.

No one is pretending to be surprised by the storm.

From what I've been able to glean, they are/were upset by the lack of info and options given by NCL.

Normally I'd fall into the "cruise contract/you chose to sail in hurricane season" dogpile with everyone else, but I read ALL the forums and NCL looks bad compared to other lines right now, that's all.

Still missing the point.

Other lines offered much greater kickbacks or the option of canceling altogether when an itinerary was impacted by Matthew last week.

No one is asking to sail into the storm.

No one is pretending to be surprised by the storm.

From what I've been able to glean, they are/were upset by the lack of info and options given by NCL.

Normally I'd fall into the "cruise contract/you chose to sail in hurricane season" dogpile with everyone else, but I read ALL the forums and NCL looks bad compared to other lines right now, that's all.

OK got it, I'll take your word for it because I haven't been following as close as you. I don't doubt what you are saying though at all.

All I know from my cruise very few people listened to the captains announcements. I wait for those announcements, they are important.

OK got it, I'll take your word for it because I haven't been following as close as you. I don't doubt what you are saying though at all.

All I know from my cruise very few people listened to the captains announcements. I wait for those announcements, they are important.

I only got sucked into this thread because I'm in a Matthew-affected state and sailing soon myself. Initially I was taken aback by the descriptions of people screaming at GS--and still think that was very very wrong--but it did cause me to try to figure out what the heck people were so mad about. I had the same initial reactions: "it's a hurricane, what do they expect?!"

That said--I don't think there have been many recent posts by people actually onboard, so hopefully they've relaxed a bit. Either that or they shut the ship wifi off. :)

I only got sucked into this thread because I'm in a Matthew-affected state and sailing soon myself. Initially I was taken aback by the descriptions of people screaming at GS--and still think that was very very wrong--but it did cause me to try to figure out what the heck people were so mad about. I had the same initial reactions: "it's a hurricane, what do they expect?!"

That said--I don't think there have been many recent posts by people actually onboard, so hopefully they've relaxed a bit. Either that or they shut the ship wifi off. :)

With everyone having the UBP maybe everyone is passed out drunk all over the ship! :D

Monday night on The Breakaway. Gorgeous sunshine day. People dancing poolside, band playing, children in pool! A wonderful day at sea. 99% of the people on this cruise are having a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think NCL's problem is they didn't even tell anyone before getting on the ship, the notice of the change wasn't even posted until after 6 pm. I understand they possibly had logistics to work out as to where the ship could go, but NCL should have offered a refund if you didn't wish to go or a better cruise credit, option etc. A $200 OBC is a joke, however hoping it is refundable so that if you already had a lot of stuff prepaid you could still take that money as a refund. If they only offer it as something you have to spend on board then it is a waste for a lot of people.

Carnival, Royal and Disney all offered credits to keep the cruise as well as giving a discount off a future cruise. By far those lines are making NCL look worse and worse every day with their crappy business decisions.

Here's to hoping nothing goes too awry in Bermuda this week so that we are still able to go on our sailing next week.

I truly cannot understand people that cannot figure out how to spend $200 on a cruise ship even with prepaid everything. I just don't get it.

Monday night on The Breakaway. Gorgeous sunshine day. People dancing poolside, band playing, children in pool! A wonderful day at sea. 99% of the people on this cruise are having a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great to hear!

That wasn't their fault though in the Coast Guard closed the Chesapeake Bay and forced them out or they were stuck in Baltimore. They offered 100% credit towards a future cruise.

Guess the major point is the other cruise lines made a much better attempt at a little customer good will. People will remember those cruise lines that offered better things when mother nature reared her ugly head. The other lines didn't have to offer anything either, but they did. I totally understand why the itinerary is changed, etc and realize it might not be what you planned, but I do also know it is still a vacation, even if not where you really wanted to go. Just think overall NCL doesn't have the greatest customer service. I would never take it out on staff on the ship either as the corporate decisions aren't theirs to make either. Just hope our sailing goes ok and that things pass in Bermuda this week.

But the folks who got on the RCI ship didn't know they were going to Canada. Even if the coast guard didn't force them to leave early, passengers weren't made aware of the itinerary change.

The Dawn is sitting at King's wharf right now. The weather looks overcast and windy, but people are out and about. I wonder if she'll sail for home early.

Dawn is leaving now (9AM Bermuda time), I think about 8 hours early.

Roy

Just an Update for All the Angry People that wanted to sail to Bermuda...The Norwegian Dawn has Pulled out of Bermuda 8 Hours Early today Tues. and from the Looks of things on the Bermuda Port Cam...Things are turning Ugly real quick...Looks like a Rough ride for the first part of the trip...

Comparing cancellation policies between cruise lines is like comparing cancellation policies at shops at the mall. Some have a no returns / no refunds policy.

NCL's travel insurance does offer "cancel for any reason". You get 75% back as a future cruise credit if you decide not to cruise. Some would argue that they were not told until departure time where they were going. It does not take an advance degree in meteorology to know that there was a high probability that they were not going to Bermuda. Other lines went to Canada,,, sailing with Mattthew and bad,cold weather. NCL was able to go south to someplace warm.

From what I've read the cruises that were refunded either couldn't go anywhere or had the embarkation port closed. The exception being Disney who changed their itinerary to Canada and offered a refund but the NY Disney cruises are so limited that they knew most people wouldn't take a refund. I imagine this Breakaway cruise would have been 1/2 empty if they offered a refund.

I think most veteran cruisers have had itinerary changes, myself included.

Disappointment is to be expected but the demands I am reading on places like Facebook are ridiculous. Everyone thinks they are special and their situation should be an exception to the rules. You had people had Disney World confined to their rooms and eating sandwiches for 2 days because of the hurricane. They didn't get refunds. I do think people cocerned about Zika have an argument but other than that I think it's just part of cruising.

Edited by Rileyz

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

What exactly would you want NCL to do to make this better? I'm curious to know what other options you think are available to them. And as for cruising during hurricane season, your price for this cruise is almost 1/2 of what other people pay to sail during non-hurricane season. That is why the reduce the prices so much in Sept/Oct/Nov. It is a risk you are taking, but for taking that risk, you are getting a much reduced rate on your cruise. Just enjoy your week on the boat!

I truly cannot understand people that cannot figure out how to spend $200 on a cruise ship even with prepaid everything. I just don't get it.

I have no need of crappy souvenirs from the gift shops, my drinks are all paid for, my specialty dinners are all paid for. I can't stand to purchase photos of myself so I don't buy the photos. So basically I would end up spending the money on crap that I don't need to take home. Especially with 4 people it would only be $50 each not even enough to do anything good in the spa.

I have bought a spa pass, already paid for my shore excursions, dining, drinks and gratuity. Really what else is there that I need. At least other lines allow charging to the ship board account with no fee to play in the casino - NCL doesn't.

But the folks who got on the RCI ship didn't know they were going to Canada. Even if the coast guard didn't force them to leave early, passengers weren't made aware of the itinerary change.

Very true but they were offered 100% credit towards another cruise. NCL gave you $200 to spend on the cruise you were on. I personally would rather be stuck with a crappy itinerary and a credit for a free cruise.

I did notice the NCL Dawn was in port at Bermuda today. However, their schedule is different...Sun/Mon/Tues in Bermuda....Willing to bet they leave early.

They did. I just happened to watch the Bermuda web cam this morning as the Dawn was pulling out. The seas looked rough, and clouds seemed to envelop the ship as it left the harbor.

I wish all aboard, a safe trip home.