Recommendation for tour in Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Valparaiso

bellaggio

I am looking for excursions to take in Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Valparaiso. Does anyone have a recommendation other than the ship's excursions?:)

We've been to BA three times, and I'd suggest doing a little pre cruise reading

https://www.amazon.com/Evita-Intimate-Portrait-Eva-Peron/dp/0500017794/ref=sr_1_26?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476221375&sr=1-26&keywords=eva+peron

And then taking Fabians' Evita Peron tour

https://www.toursbylocals.com/evitatour

It was a superb day, and standing on Evita's balcony at the Casa Rosada was surreal. Truly, a once in a lifetime experience.

WA-casa-rosada-evita-on-balcony.jpg

Both of the other tours we've taken in BA focused far too much on the history of meat packing and the evolution of the South American abattoir. :eek:

?CISOROOT=ags_south&CISOPTR=6521&action=2&DMSCALE=10&DMWIDTH=323&DMHEIGHT=324&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0

evita1.jpg The Perons are far more interesting to the Average American , and are much easier to face just after breakfast.

Montevideo excursion where we went to a huge ranch and had a BarBQ was just totally wonderful! Family run ranch provided milk for most of the area. Dancing cowboys and hay ride and animals to see and ride. This was a Princess excursion but the facilities were so good and the routines/food/options so perfected I think this is a permanent attraction. One of our best excursions ever.

In Valparaiso, we did a Tour4Tips -- arranged a private tour for just the two of us. It was a walking tour, using public transportation where appropriate to get around. I wrote about it here. Our guide was a personable young man and we were very pleased with the experience.

In Montevideo, we went on a tour that included a bit of city sightseeing but was primarily focused on wine tasting. The vineyard was a family operated property. We didn't organize the tour, so I cannot provide tour operator info, but you could potentially find it on the Vina Varrela Zarranz website. In the meantime, my write up of the tour is here. We did have an extra day in town because the ship was unable to tender in Punta del Este due to rough seas the day before and diverted here instead. On that first day, we just wandered around the city ... easily done and could be an alternative to a tour.

any tour that gets you out of all 3 towns is the best... We grabbed a flight to Iguazzu and back while in port.. Any tour that gets you out of town will be safer and more interesting.. and you wont have to look over your shoulder every second....

I was there last year, and owing to the severe inflation and unemployment crime and homeless problems were wide spread.

In Buenos Aires, several or our group were robbed.... one guy sat down and put his feet up and some guys grabbed his feet ant stole his shoes... It was a very strange place and nothing like the pictures. It may have been the Paris of the south but it sure is not now. beware of the taxi scams too.