Extra tax for delivery to stateroom in Fort Lauderdale?

canadarocks

Is it still true that if we order anything to be delivered to our stateroom while we're still docked in Fort Lauderdale, that we have to pay an additional state's tax?

Would this be the case with the 7 bottle Navigator's Wine Package as well?

It has been on any cruise we have been on.

Order it for delivery at sea and it will still be in your stateroom before you sail most likely ;) At least, that has been the case for us :).

I discovered that if there is no option for "at sea" it usually means no tax.

Options for stateroom/sea on embarkation means there is.

I think OBC and beverage cards are the only exceptions?

any orders placed outside of International Orders are subject to the tax if it is applicable.

Edited by kazu

It has been on any cruise we have been on.

Order it for delivery at sea and it will still be in your stateroom before you sail most likely ;) At least, that has been the case for us :).

I discovered that if there is no option for "at sea" it usually means no tax.

Options for stateroom/sea on embarkation means there is.

I think OBC and beverage cards are the only exceptions?

any orders placed outside of International Orders are subject to the tax if it is applicable.

Our Friends & we decided to order the wine packages after we board, but I'm still confused about liquor..

To pre-order a bottle of rum & also the Beverage Cards, should I wait till we board or can I order it for delivery at sea & pay for them now?

I really would like to pre-order & pay for it now instead of having too large a bill when we disembark..

That's what I'm wondering, as in our case: the wine package.

Our Friends & we decided to order the wine packages after we board, but I'm still confused about liquor..

To pre-order a bottle of rum & also the Beverage Cards, should I wait till we board or can I order it for delivery at sea & pay for them now?

I really would like to pre-order & pay for it now instead of having too large a bill when we disembark..

Liquor is taxable. If you want to pre-order -go ahead but request delivery at sea on embarkation day ;). It will be in your cabin 99% of the time before sail a way ;). this applies to wine packages, bottles of liquor, etc.

Betty, the Beverage cards are fine for stateroom delivery. We also leave out of FLL and there is no option for delivery of the Beverage Cards at sea which tells me they are not taxable :). It's just a loaded gift card :)We were not taxed on our Beverage cards nor our OBC which we ordered for delivery at sea for our next cruise.

Edited by kazu

Quite a few times the last 3 - 4 years we have pre-ordered alcohol for the cabin and were not charged the Florida tax.

Years ago -- we were.

But if you do order anything once you are on the ship on embarkation, you will be charged the Florida tax. We had a lot of shipboard credit for a couple of cruises and decided to wait until we got on the ship and ordered alcohol for the cabin and were charged the Florida tax.

Where the Wine Package is concerned there are only two delivery options on embarkation day, stateroom or dining room. Since "at sea" isn't an option, should we assume no tax will be charged?

Or do we need to choose "dining room" to not have to pay the tax?

Where the Wine Package is concerned there are only two delivery options on embarkation day, stateroom or dining room. Since "at sea" isn't an option, should we assume no tax will be charged?

If it is only the stateroom option, then I think you are safe to order.

I hate to "assume" but if there is no "at sea" option, I think you should be good.

If it is only the stateroom option, then I think you are safe to order.

I hate to "assume" but if there is no "at sea" option, I think you should be good.

However, you won't normally get to the dining room until you are "at sea". I think I would take the dining room option if you don't want to pay the tax, just to be safe.

Edited by richwmn

However, you won't normally get to the dining room until you are "at sea". I think I would take the dining room option if you don't want to pay the tax, just to be safe.

I tend to agree with you, but we have Anytime Dining and we might decide to eat at a specialty restaurant the first evening (reservation bookings haven't opened as of yet).

Seems like the best idea is to wait and buy the package at whatever restaurant we end up at that first evening. :)

Liquor is taxable. If you want to pre-order -go ahead but request delivery at sea on embarkation day ;). It will be in your cabin 99% of the time before sail a way ;). this applies to wine packages, bottles of liquor, etc.

Betty, the Beverage cards are fine for stateroom delivery. We also leave out of FLL and there is no option for delivery of the Beverage Cards at sea which tells me they are not taxable :). It's just a loaded gift card :)We were not taxed on our Beverage cards nor our OBC which we ordered for delivery at sea for our next cruise.

Thanks Jacqui, I'll order the liquor for at sea & will also order the beverage card before we leave..

Edited by serendipity1499

For the past several years and including this year, have preordered beverage cards for delivery to the cabin on embarkation day (FLL) and have never had to pay sales tax.

The cards aren't taxed, but if you use the card to buy a drink while still in Florida waters, then the drink will have a tax added to the price. Same holds true for a drink purchased without the card, or liquor purchased for the cabin.

That's why using the choice "delivery at sea" is better, when it's an option. The tax isn't charged in that case.

I tend to agree with you, but we have Anytime Dining and we might decide to eat at a specialty restaurant the first evening (reservation bookings haven't opened as of yet).

Seems like the best idea is to wait and buy the package at whatever restaurant we end up at that first evening. :)

I actually prefer that anyways as that way you can see what wines are in the package on that cruise and choose wisely rather than have an expectation and be disappointed if they don't have a particular one that you were looking forward to :)

I actually prefer that anyways as that way you can see what wines are in the package on that cruise and choose wisely rather than have an expectation and be disappointed if they don't have a particular one that you were looking forward to :)

Absolutely second that. The wines on the ship's list have always had a couple of selections that we preferred over the pre-order list.

Absolutely second that. The wines on the ship's list have always had a couple of selections that we preferred over the pre-order list.

We are 3 star mariners. If we get the wine package we save 25% off the pre-tax rate. If we buy wine by the bottle, we don't get any discount, correct?

We are 3 star mariners. If we get the wine package we save 25% off the pre-tax rate. If we buy wine by the bottle, we don't get any discount, correct?

Correct. You get 25% off the price of the wine packages only. Not the individual bottles.

For your 25% off, the 15% service fee is charged on the original value of the package - only fair to the wine stewards ;)

Edited by kazu

while still in Florida waters,

How would you know what waters you are in - legally wise? For that matter out of Seattle you're likely to be in Washington state waters or British Columbia provincial waters all the time. At some point are you ever considered "at sea?" We would like to order a bottle of Brandy for the cabin but avoiding 50% WA state taxes would be good if possible. Once on board who do you see for ordering a delivery "at sea?"

How would you know what waters you are in - legally wise? For that matter out of Seattle you're likely to be in Washington state waters or British Columbia provincial waters all the time. At some point are you ever considered "at sea?" We would like to order a bottle of Brandy for the cabin but avoiding 50% WA state taxes would be good if possible. Once on board who do you see for ordering a delivery "at sea?"

They usually have a warning in the On Location about taxes being applicable and an approximate time when they will be in International Waters. I've never not seen them let us know ;)

to order a bottle, you can do that at any bar on board or even call room service to order :). Easy :)

Typically, the official departure time is 4:00 p.m. There have been a few times when it was closer to 5:00 p.m. Food service in the MDR won't start for a while after that. I would think that by the time you were there and ordering wine, you would be away from the tax situation. We always wait to order anything until well out into the water. For one drink or two for sail away, the tax situation is not horrendous.

Jim