Can I disembark anytime I want if ship is already in port?

susiesan

The cruise I have reserved, Riviera Oct. 25, 2017 Barcelona to Venice, has Venice as the last port. The ship arrives Venice Nov. 7 and disembarks on Nov. 8. Many of the flights back to the US leave VCE at 7:00am. Can I check out and disembark anytime I want to on Nov. 8? I'm assuming to get to the airport by 5:00am I'd be leaving the ship at 4:00am. Will I have to carry the luggage off myself? Will there be cabs to the airport from the dock at 5:00am?

I'm trying to figure out how this will work before I book the flight. I do not want to stay on in venice another day/night.

A few things under your scenario:

1. Since you will be in Venice on the 7th, I would then (pre)arrange a taxi to the airport on that day (8th), from the pier, at the time you wish to depart.

2. I would check out and clear my bill with Oceania, on the 7th, and let them know that you will be departing at ??o'clock the next morning.

3. I would keep my baggage and take it with me upon departure and not put it out the night before, since you will be leaving so early. I have seen people miss early planes because Oceania messed up color codes on baggage and the cruisers couldn't get their bags until far to late. The disembarkment process is typically smooth, but we too have had our bags delayed because of color code issues. Another reason we typically stay an additional day so to miss any grief!

We had this situation a year ago or so. You must get your luggage off yourself. That being said, maybe you can arrange with the concierge or in my case, the butler to come help you get it off. You must not put it off the night before. In Venice, in my opinion, Pinotlover is right, you must arrange for transportation in advance. We did that as well, albeit it was another port.

We've done this several times, including two years ago in Venice.

We had a prearranged transfer so there were no cab worries. I don't remember which company but the port of call section has lots of recommendations.

We carried our own luggage off.

We like to travel but when the trip is over we are raring to get home.

I don't have a problem with taking the luggage off myself as we use rolling duffel bags.

I will prearrange an early morning transfer from the ship to the airport well in advance. I'm sure the transfer companies are used to these trips from cruise ships for people with every early flights.

I recall on my last cruise to Venice that there were a number of passengers with early disembarkation plans. Just arrange with Oceania with your filight information and they will assist. You cannot just gather your things and leave due to customs and immigration.

I recall on my last cruise to Venice that there were a number of passengers with early disembarkation plans. Just arrange with Oceania with your filight information and they will assist. You cannot just gather your things and leave due to customs and immigration.

There won't be any customs and immigration as this is a Europe cruise from Barcelona to Venice. We will already have gone through customs.

I don't have a problem with taking the luggage off myself as we use rolling duffel bags.

I will prearrange an early morning transfer from the ship to the airport well in advance. I'm sure the transfer companies are used to these trips from cruise ships for people with every early flights.

I arranged, through Viator, for a pick-up in Venice at 4am and they were there as we came out of the customs area. Drive to airport about 20 min.

I arranged, through Viator, for a pick-up in Venice at 4am and they were there as we came out of the customs area. Drive to airport about 20 min.

Thanks for the Viator recommend. When it gets closer to the time I will look them up.

Also good to know it takes 20 minutes to get to the airport.

There won't be any customs and immigration as this is a Europe cruise from Barcelona to Venice. We will already have gone through customs.

Regardless it would still be beneficial to let Oceania know this in advance, through your TA or if you don't use one contact them directly.

For US citizens, nothing happens departing from a foreign country to replace the US Customs procedure. American citizens go through Customs at the airport where they first touch down in the US.

As for immigration control, you will enter the Schengen Area, presumably when you arrive in Spain (Barcelona). At that time, your passport will be scanned into the system that is shared by the 26 Shengen countries. Your passport will need to get scanned when you leave the Schengen area, although this time you'll be leaving via Italy.

You may get lucky and encounter no line for your exit passport scan, but more likely you will. You should plan your timeline as if you'll encounter a line.

We've had no custom or immigration issues disembarking early in Europe. There was no need to show passports. Just find the exit and go. We had a transfer company waiting.

No need for passports disembarking the ship, but the poster is trying to make a flight. If she's actually going to be in her seat when the flight takes off, she has to plan for both the ship's disembarkation process and the check-in, immigration, and security process once in the airport.